Bullet choices for deer.

Nytracker

I used winchester amercan whitetail 150 grain for my .270 and do not like them at all. On paper they are  accurate .I have now killed 6 deer with that gun and ammo combo. 1 dropped in its track from breaking his spine. Other 5 ran and had to be tracked. Little to no blood trail, and only 1 pass through.

This year hit a nice buck opening morning,  believe 9 point with split brow tine, again little specs of blood and ended up not recovering him. It was very disappointing.

I switched to my trusted and true 12 gauge 870 for the rest of the season.

For next year if I use my .270 I am gonna swith ammo but I still am unsure what I am gonna use. I want a bullet to be as damaging as possible from that gun. Minimal meat damage is nice, but useless when the deer isn't recovered 

Good morning. Barnes Vor-Tx LR in 270 129gn rounds are devastating on deer. A friend of mine used them this year up in Alberta and put it through a large bodied buck quartering to him. Also the Swift A-Frame 270 150gn round would be great on anything around so you couldn’t go wrong. I shot a large buck in Alberta two years ago. He was facing me. I hit him in the side of his neck and it traveled the entire length of his body. We recovered it in his back hip joint. DEVASTATING!!!!! Didn’t move a muscle. That was with a Barnes LRX. I shoot both a .30-378 and .257 Weatherby. Both shoot the LRX and Swift A-Frames extremely accurately which is what truly counts. Hope his helps you out ;)

• Like 2

If "Andre The Giant" had me by the neck and forced me to make a choice of one style bullet to hunt big game with it would be no question the "Nosler Partition"! From the lowest velocity to the highest they work perfectly every time and a track record of many years to prove it.

Andre being dead saves me from that fate so I will continue to use good quality bullets from all the makers that shoot well in my firearms and bet I still will not have any problems killing and recovering a Deer.

Al

2020-01-12_101811.png

Edited by airedale

On 1/12/2020 at 11:45 AM, HuntHarder20 said:

Well said Al !!! Partitions are a very good bullet!!! I personally like the A-Frames better because the front portion is bonded and doesn’t come apart. This helps for not ruining any meat. But you definitely couldn’t go wrong with a partition. 

I've taken a significant number of animals with A Frames from small to large( including cape buffalo and a 2200lb eland)

Absolute first choice for a bullet, terrific weight retention and text book expansion (although I have had good success with TSX and Partitions also).