Buckets in the woods

Chef

So I’ve had my camp for a few years now, I have always heard that lots of old timers used to bring a 5 gallon bucket in the woods with them turn it upside down and use it as a seat when they hunted. Well along my logging road on a very steep section of hill is a old 5 gallon bucked upside down on a flat little bench. I have always wondered if someone used to hunt from that bucket. It does seem like a good spot and for some reason I have never hunted it. It looks down on the logging road which is a great funnel as below it is a steep drop off and then the creek. I’m thinking a may sit that bucked Saturday afternoon and see what happens, any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

It can't hurt that's for sure but the deer patterns do change over the years. I've come across several items at my camp as well in the Catskills. We have buckets, old milk crates, wooden stands, tree stands and ground blinds made from branches. I've spent time hunting all of them over the years. Some I have seen deer from, others nothing. I say go for it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

It can't hurt that's for sure but the deer patterns do change over the years. I've come across several items at my camp as well in the Catskills. We have buckets, old milk crates, wooden stands, tree stands and ground blinds made from branches. I've spent time hunting all of them over the years. Some I have seen deer from, others nothing. I say go for it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Yea I will say I saw a good amount of tracks there in the snow. I know there is a creek crossing they use that puts them on the logging road. I also no that If they are trying to go east west on that part of the property they either have to walk along this very very steep ridge or they could be lazy and take the logging road

My buddy has old metal folding chairs hanging from tree branch stubs around his properties.  Also a few 7 gallon steel buckets with lids (gray in color) hang in various spots too............

Most but not all of these locations are "has been" spots, meaning I wouldn't waste my time perched on one.

Full disclosure a little further down the road is also a old deteriorated tree house stand that used to belong to the old neighbor. I’ve heard around town that he took many great bucks, so it really could be worth a shot

• Like 2

This is funny. I have buckets all over the place  . I haven't sat a bucket much in years, but I probably shot more deer sitting on an old mud bucket than any other single seat including treestands. I've gotten spoiled with stands now. And it's always neat to stumble across one of my old spots and see how much it has changed over the years.

• Like 1

Whenever ł happen across a bucket in the woods ł feel obligated to give it a sit... Odds are it's in a good location. 

Previous shooting lanes may be grown in but a little bit of work to open them back up can pay dividends if it's land you're able to improve. 

ł would open the satellite and topo maps then give the area a good look taking your exact location in to account. 

Honestly can't hurt to give it a try.

ł have a few 5 gallon buckets ł've placed around my property, bought a swivel seat for about $20 that snaps on as a lid that ł carry out when ł plan to set on one.

Ide sit it.  Those old stand sites are there  for a reason.   Ive always had good luck on stateland by old rotten tree stands,old buckets,ect.  The way i see it most of the old farmers didnt have time to waste so they no where to hunt and kill quick.  Do they move out of the area yes but if theres tracks ide be sitting it.

8 hours ago, Chef said:

Yea I will say I saw a good amount of tracks there in the snow. I know there is a creek crossing they use that puts them on the logging road. I also no that If they are trying to go east west on that part of the property they either have to walk along this very very steep ridge or they could be lazy and take the logging road

Steep ridge or easy path up the hill ? Thats considered a terrain funnel ,hunt that $hit ! Next thing you're gonna tell us is the bucket is 2/3 the way up the hill. 

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 2

I am in on the buckets, at the house probably have at least 8 around the property.Hunting camp i placed numerous buckets around but with that property butting up to state land they seem to disappear on a regular basis.Definetly better than sitting on ground, and yes i am a old guy.