Chef

Blackhorn 209 breech plug

Just wanted to throw this out there to CVA users. You do not NEED the special breech plug to use blackhorn. Yes it is a good idea yes I will be getting one but for those of you that want to make a quick switch it is possible. I have been using Blackhorn with the regular breech plug. It works just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chef said:

Just wanted to throw this out there to CVA users. You do not NEED the special breech plug to use blackhorn. Yes it is a good idea yes I will be getting one but for those of you that want to make a quick switch it is possible. I have been using Blackhorn with the regular breech plug. It works just fine

ah....using the ole "Kevorkian approach" on the forum. Nice assist, Steve Nash!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

ah....using the ole "Kevorkian approach" on the forum. Nice assist, Steve Nash!

LOL, Nothing is going to happen ,it's just to make sure you get a complete burn .

• Like 1

LOL, Nothing is going to happen ,it's just to make sure you get a complete burn .

When I roll a joint it always gets a complete burn

• Like 2

That breech plug won't ignite it 100 percent if I recall. 

Taken from cva :

If you plan to use Blackhorn 209 powder I would highly recommend it a new plug.The Blackhorn 209 Breech Plug is specifically designed for CVA rifle owners that want to shoot any loose powder, not only Blackhron 209™. The plug has a hollowed out flash-hole that enables the loose powder granules to settle closer to the 209 ignition source. Whereas the CVA QRBP plug that comes standard with the rifle has a inch long pin-wide, flash-hole, making it tough to ignite loose powder evenly. Also, the QRBP’s flash hole will sometime get plugged by loose powder more easily than the Blackhorn plug, and you will find yourself constantly cleaning the flash-hole before each and every shot.

It will work fine until it doesn’t and I’ve played around with them side by side and you get much less consistency with the factory breech plug when shooting through a crono. If I remember correctly it was over 300fps difference over a 5 shot test.

• Like 2

I purchased the Blackhorn plug the same time as my muzzleloader. The first time out to the range I had forgotten to put the Blackhorn plug in. It worked but much less consistently. If you've got the money I'd recommend making the change. Without the Blackhorn plug I had a hangfire after a couple shots and groups were erratic. With the Blackhorn plug I fired 6 shots without having to run a patch and my last 3 shots were 3" group at 100 yards.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1