Blackhorn 209 breech plug

Chef

Just wanted to throw this out there to CVA users. You do not NEED the special breech plug to use blackhorn. Yes it is a good idea yes I will be getting one but for those of you that want to make a quick switch it is possible. I have been using Blackhorn with the regular breech plug. It works just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chef said:

Just wanted to throw this out there to CVA users. You do not NEED the special breech plug to use blackhorn. Yes it is a good idea yes I will be getting one but for those of you that want to make a quick switch it is possible. I have been using Blackhorn with the regular breech plug. It works just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ah....using the ole "Kevorkian approach" on the forum. Nice assist, Steve Nash!

• Like 1

That breech plug won't ignite it 100 percent if I recall. 

Taken from cva :

If you plan to use Blackhorn 209 powder I would highly recommend it a new plug.The Blackhorn 209 Breech Plug is specifically designed for CVA rifle owners that want to shoot any loose powder, not only Blackhron 209™. The plug has a hollowed out flash-hole that enables the loose powder granules to settle closer to the 209 ignition source. Whereas the CVA QRBP plug that comes standard with the rifle has a inch long pin-wide, flash-hole, making it tough to ignite loose powder evenly. Also, the QRBP’s flash hole will sometime get plugged by loose powder more easily than the Blackhorn plug, and you will find yourself constantly cleaning the flash-hole before each and every shot.

I purchased the Blackhorn plug the same time as my muzzleloader. The first time out to the range I had forgotten to put the Blackhorn plug in. It worked but much less consistently. If you've got the money I'd recommend making the change. Without the Blackhorn plug I had a hangfire after a couple shots and groups were erratic. With the Blackhorn plug I fired 6 shots without having to run a patch and my last 3 shots were 3" group at 100 yards.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
18 minutes ago, left field said:

Do you guys measure by volume and weight? There seems to be some issues that the BH tubes aren't accurate when checked on a scale.

It really shouldn't matter as long as you measure the same way every time.  I measure by volume. 

When I did my initial setup I checked against a scale and the graduations on test tubes don't line up perfect with the scale.  It's usually only off by 3 or 4 grains though.  If you are running 153gr vs 150 it really doesn't make a difference so long as you do the same every time.  I measured out 20 loads using my volume measure and checked them all on the scale.  There was never a variance of more than a grain.   

Thanks. Doing some quick reading shows that a lot of people have varying results when measured then weighed. As much as 10 grains off. Depending on how it's loaded, tapped, etc. 

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/blackhorn-actual-weight-in-grains-vs-volume.90800/

Are the calibrated BH tubes best or is there another option?

https://www.westernpowders.com/charge_tubes?product_id=146

2 minutes ago, left field said:

Thanks. Doing some quick reading shows that a lot of people have varying results when measured then weighed. As much as 10 grains off. Depending on how it's loaded, tapped, etc. 

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/blackhorn-actual-weight-in-grains-vs-volume.90800/

Are the calibrated BH tubes best or is there another option?

https://www.westernpowders.com/charge_tubes?product_id=146

I think consistent charges are most important over anything else , you'll find some rounds that shoot better then others overtime . I read thrpugh modern muzzleloader site a bunch before getting one and just used the recipe that most guys were using in their CVA ,I know 4 of us using the exact same load ,it has been doing good.

4 minutes ago, left field said:

Thanks, J. Can you share that load and bullet? I grabbed some powerbelts but I guess they're not well thought of.

I use 100g of blackhorn, a 300g shockwave and a federal shot primer . It doesnt have to be federal but it should be a shotgun primer ,the muzzleloader primers have weaker charge . The blackhorn ignites fast enough to use a shotgun primer ,some of the powders on the market and especially pellets dont ignite fast enough for a shotgun primer and you can actually dislodged the load before it all burns.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, left field said:

I grabbed some powerbelts but I guess they're not well thought of.

There are so many different opinions on every product out there . I have my own from using powerbelts .

I found there is a big difference between the aero tip and the hollow point . I thought they were the same bullet with the hollow point only missing the plastic tip but they are not.  I have one encore that  I use the 245 grain and another I use the 295 grain. The aero tips and the hollow points shoot the same . Both very accurate.  But I only use the hollow points now. I found the aero tips  expand very little and sometimes none at all. The hollow points  expand very nice and make a big wound channel and exit hole.  Great knock down power on both the 245 and the 295 grain. I use 2 50 grain  Hodgdon Pyrodex . For primers I use the triple7 or the Winchester 209 shotgun primers and found no difference.

So much has been made of the BH209 powder being so clean and can fire 15-20 rounds before needing a scrub . But Im not firing 15 shots in the woods . The pyrodex is good for about 5 shots although I have fired 8 rounds to see how bad the accuracy suffers . It starts to go off an inch or 2 after 5 shots. But I only bring 5 shots with me hunting. If BH 209 made a pellet I would definitely try it . But I'm not going back to pouring powder down the barrel . The power belts and the pellets just make it so easy and fast to reload out in the field.

The best bullet I have used is the Hornady 240 grain XTP hollow point with the green sabot. By far the most consistant accuracy keeping 1 inch groups . Devastating internal damage with an exit hole the size of a silver dollar.. I also hear the new Barns bullet is fantastic.

I go by the old saying " If It Aint Broke Dont Fix It "

But some may argue because Im 63 that " You Cant Teach An Old Dog New Tricks "

And they would be right !  :rofl:

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

There are so many different opinions on every product out there . I have my own from using powerbelts .

I found there is a big difference between the aero tip and the hollow point . I thought they were the same bullet with the hollow point only missing the plastic tip but they are not.  I have one encore that  I use the 245 grain and another I use the 295 grain. The aero tips and the hollow points shoot the same . Both very accurate.  But I only use the hollow points now. I found the aero tips  expand very little and sometimes none at all. The hollow points  expand very nice and make a big wound channel and exit hole.  Great knock down power on both the 245 and the 295 grain. I use 2 50 grain  Hodgdon Pyrodex . For primers I use the triple7 or the Winchester 209 shotgun primers and found no difference.

So much has been made of the BH209 powder being so clean and can fire 15-20 rounds before needing a scrub . But Im not firing 15 shots in the woods . The pyrodex is good for about 5 shots although I have fired 8 rounds to see how bad the accuracy suffers . It starts to go off an inch or 2 after 5 shots. But I only bring 5 shots with me hunting. If BH 209 made a pellet I would definitely try it . But I'm not going back to pouring powder down the barrel . The power belts and the pellets just make it so easy and fast to reload out in the field.

The best bullet I have used is the Hornady 240 grain XTP hollow point with the green sabot. By far the most consistant accuracy keeping 1 inch groups . Devastating internal damage with an exit hole the size of a silver dollar.. I also hear the new Barns bullet is fantastic.

I go by the old saying " If It Aint Broke Dont Fix It "

But some may argue because Im 63 that " You Cant Teach An Old Dog New Tricks "

And they would be right !  :rofl:

I'm glad you're not calling the shots ,we would all be driving around a tin lizzy still LOL.

• Haha 1

The xtp line of bullets has harvested more game than probably any other bullet going . I'm a .452 300gr non mag fan myself 

Power belts just are not for me . All ill say about Pyrodex is clean clean clean 

Edited by sbuff