whats a good ground blind ??

luberhill

I have been doing most of my turkey hunting out of Ameristep Doghouse blinds for the last ten years or so...

In that time I have worn out two and have another that was new last spring.. I intend to buy a new for the upcoming season, because I like to have  two...

I am a fairly short guy, as you might guess from my screen name...There is plenty of room for me in a doghouse and I have shared it a time or two with another hunter, one quite sizeable,,,

They are a low end blind, and wear out fairly quickly, especially if you take them up and down often, as I do...However, at less than $100 apiece, if I get 3 or 4 years out of one, that is OK with me..They are easy  and fairly quick to put up and down.. I have done it many times in the dark in about ten minutes.. The hardest part is learning to get them back in the carrying bag..That takes some practice, and often some profanity...

• Like 1

I have a doghouse blind too. Only drawback is you can't shoot a bow out of it. It's OK other than that. I haven't used it much as I picked up a couple of the chair blinds for solo gun hunts. I find them to be very comfortable, and easier to set up and take down.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Engraver99 said:

Lucky's blinds...have 3 of them. Easy to carry, easy to setup, put em up in september, take em down in December. Never had snow collapse them. Thick material, steel rods, reasonable prices. Been using them for at least 12 years with no problems or issues.  https://www.luckyshuntingblinds.com

Just checked these out and they look really nice! And will hold up to snow! I really like that over the Amerastep Vanish blinds I have!

Thanks!

• Like 1

I bought a Rhino blind a few years ago for an older hunter where I hunt.  I set it up and left it up for the entire season but he nor anybody else used it that year.  It appeared to be very well made and easy to set up.  It isn't a lightweight option though if that's important.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Doghouse works good for me. Lasted 4 full seasons out year round. Rips here and there from snow cave ins and tree branches falling through, but with some tape and tarp they last a while.

ada2ee6abb0f2ec18db85232847f29ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aesthetically pleasing? Not a chance...........

Effective?  I suppose so.

:)

Aesthetically pleasing? Not a chance...........
Effective?  I suppose so.

Yup. It was already mid season when a tree fell through it, so we just tarped and it then i shot my best NY buck out of it a few weeks later.

9 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Doghouse works good for me. Lasted 4 full seasons out year round. Rips here and there from snow cave ins and tree branches falling through, but with some tape and tarp they last a while.

ada2ee6abb0f2ec18db85232847f29ae.jpg

That's an Ameristep, but not a Doghouse.  The Doghouse is domed and smaller.  That looks like a Brickhouse maybe.  Decent blind, but bigger and with a different frame system.  

I have a couple of doghouse blinds but this year added an Ameristep Brickhouse. I liked the doghouses, but the brickhouse is much roomier and not that much more money to get into a hub type style. Shot my crossbow doe out of it this year.

https://www.amazon.com/Ameristep-Brickhouse-Ground-Blind-Realtree/dp/B078H8PGHK/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=brickhouse+blind&qid=1576156022&sr=8-4

Edited by Steuben Jerry

49 minutes ago, farmer 52 said:

Picked up a Barronet Big Mike this year, seems pretty well made, needed something that was tall enough to shoot bow out of,I am 6'4" and it has enough room.Definetly worth the money $129 on e-bay

i am looking at one of these too cause i want the grass pattern for where i want to put it by a pond.  Are the windows still low enough to shoot out of while sitting?  they seem pretty high .  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

That's an Ameristep, but not a Doghouse.  The Doghouse is domed and smaller.  That looks like a Brickhouse maybe.  Decent blind, but bigger and with a different frame system.  

You are right. Brickhouse rings a bell. The other one we have is smaller and doghouse I think. Pic here behind the deer (top right)

637e46db131eb2785e8fc6a4aaa3e887.jpg&key=5e32e6c2e1449229d508689c97b3e849e6aa9bec2df807e6573c49a684d8e37c

I think there is some confusion on the product names based on images and replies. Doghouse is a spring style blind whereas the hub styles have a few different names but one with the "house" moniker, which is the "brickhouse."

Just a point of clarity should someone reading this read and order, then get something different than what they thought.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Crap, dbl post. Good eye.

I bought a blind for the first time this season since it was my 12 year old son's first season hunting and figured it would be better hunting with him from one.  I bought a Cabela's Zonz that was on sale for $99 and cost me all of $2 after I used my Cabelas points.  So far I have been very satisfied with it.  Probably not the greatest blind to come down the pike but for the money seems pretty durable and definitely more roomy than I expected.  You can easily fit 3 people inside it.  Easy to pop open, but like Pygmy said in his post above, folding it back down will involve a bit of profanity.  Otherwise, it's not too bad.  Has been lucky, too.  We killed a bunch of squirrels, a turkey and a buck from it this Fall, and had several other turkeys come within stone throws distance from the blind without them paying us any mind! 

IMG_0350.jpg

I bought a blind for the first time this season since it was my 12 year old son's first season hunting and figured it would be better hunting with him from one.  I bought a Cabela's Zonz that was on sale for $99 and cost me all of $2 after I used my Cabelas points.  So far I have been very satisfied with it.  Probably not the greatest blind to come down the pike but for the money seems pretty durable and definitely more roomy than I expected.  You can easily fit 3 people inside it.  Easy to pop open, but like Pygmy said in his post above, folding it back down will involve a bit of profanity.  Otherwise, it's not too bad.  Has been lucky, too.  We killed a bunch of squirrels, a turkey and a buck from it this Fall, and had several other turkeys come within stone throws distance from the blind without them paying us any mind! 

IMG_0350.thumb.jpg.4b296f9538c60efd5c5c403cb0b87865.jpg

You leave all those windows open when you hunt? I try to only certain corners open. Just enough to shoot so it keeps me hidden and so the blind looks more like it does when I’m not there all zipped up

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

You leave all those windows open when you hunt? I try to only certain corners open. Just enough to shoot so it keeps me hidden and so the blind looks more like it does when I’m not there all zipped up

I took that picture when I was setting it up again before gun season for deer, but YES, I do keep all the windows open.  Game could approach from any side at that spot, so I want to make sure I have a good 360 degree view of things.  Doesn't seem to bother game having the windows open.  Like I said, we had a few turkey come very close with our heads bobbing around on the inside and the windows fully open.

Oh, and even had a few chipmunks try to join us inside by trying to crawl in underneath it! LOL

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I took that picture when I was setting it up again before gun season for deer, but YES, I do keep all the windows open.  Game could approach from any side at that spot, so I want to make sure I have a good 360 degree view of things.  Doesn't seem to bother game having the windows open.  Like I said, we had a few turkey come very close with our heads bobbing around on the inside and the windows fully open.

Oh, and even had a few chipmunks try to join us inside by trying to crawl in underneath it! LOL

I had a snake poke it's head under my blind a few turkey seasons ago. To preserve my dignity here, I won't describe my reaction...

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i am looking at one of these too cause i want the grass pattern for where i want to put it by a pond.  Are the windows still low enough to shoot out of while sitting?  they seem pretty high .  

Yes windows are probably a little for shooting out of while sitting on regular height chair,I put 2 plastic buckets together and the height was perfect for me.

Sounds like you are looking for something portable.  I can attest to the quality of the redneck blinds.  They have withstood everything thrown at them including 70mph windstorms without a hiccup.  I leave them up year round.  But they are not portable.

If you are leaving it out for the season (which I think is a good idea if you have a set location), paint those windows black on the outside when closed.  I noticed a real difference in terms of deer noticing the open windows before and after painting.  Very few deer looked studied the blind with the windows open after I painted the windows black.  Open and blacked out (which they always saw) looked pretty much the same to them.   Before I painted them black, when I opened a window, it seemed every deer noticed something was a bit off immediately.  Not anymore.

• Like 2