Help or advise on how to manage 5 acre pc

I own a 6 acre pc that is bordered on two sides by farm fields and across the back by a big pc of woods.

i have a box blind facing the woods but about 2 acres between me and the woods

behind my blind is a 150 ft deep x 400 ft long patch of woody skrub etc

the deer tend to bed in this patch, I’ve killed does the last few years either crossing my field from the woods or jumping them out of the skrub behind my blind..but rarely see a buck,

the 2 acres between my blind and the woods is mostly weeds golden rod and some Timothy hay etc, it gets 6 ft tall

i usually mow it in late October...

ive been told do not mow it let it stand head high and just mow a couple paths from the woods to the shrub behind my blind 

because the bucks won’t cross the open Field during the day...

but by mowing I thought it created food nice new grass etc..

it got covered with snow early this year...

not sure how best to handle

and and all info is appreciated

8437433F-4F5B-4D10-A678-E46C34A10BB5.jpeg

Edited by luberhill

Nice view! 

Hunting small properties can be tough, but not impossible! If the deer are bedding behind you, that is where you need to be facing. Can you either move or turn the box blind to face the bedding area? You may see more deer, even though you're looking at less ground?? And where you have it mowed, looks like a great spot for a food plot! The right food in there could bring the deer out of the thick stuff. And remember, if ya have doe.....during the rut, you'll have bucks too.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I agree with Grampy, Get some food in that spot. If you have bedding and the deer don't have to move for food I would think you would have a ticket. As Grampy said, if the Doe are there, the bucks will be at some point. 

We have a ton of what I call scrub brush on our lease. We brush hog shooting lanes that deer have to cross but don't clear it like that.

Whomever told you that bucks wont cross a field in day is completely wrong, in the late season when they are pressured most likely no, but bow, crossbow, beginning of gun yes they absolutely will. I have bucks crossing my fields checking for does and eating quite often, even witnessd them chasing and corralling does in a field. So yes they will venture into an open field. Thats how i got my 10 pointer bow buck this season , he was in a plot eating and tending a doe. Definitely get some clover and or brassicas in that plot, keep the resident does happy and you will see that the bucks will eventually trickle in. Pay attention to your entry and exit points to that blind. I never cared to pay attention to wind at my place because the wind can swirl at a moments notice on those mountains. Besides if you have deer coming from all sides on any particular setup why play the wind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with grampy.  Sounds like you might benefit from moving the blind to cover field and bedding but predominate wind and access are considerations.  I also would not hesitate to try a real food plot, although its effectiveness may be diminished depending on what crops are grown on either side of your property.  Minimally it may be very effective early and late season.  Also tough not to over hunt 6 acres if that is the only place you hunt.

• Like 1

I have a hut on a field not much bigger , this year the farmer mowed the whole thing for me instead of just lanes I had in the past . I like it much better they crossed those lanes pretty fast last year ( first time I ever hunted it , although its been there 8-10 years ) .  

This year I sat in it the Sat prior to gun opener and had a nice 8 walking all around it, these pics are two days prior to OD 8, 8:14 AM , you can see my hut in the open 70 yards away . My time and camera time there is limited though .

They should be hammering that Timothy !

Put out a couple more blinds / stands , seat time during the season is the best “ scouting .”

FF6529DB-BFF3-4260-91DC-BB3E9986FA06.jpeg

960C70B0-E5C5-40A1-90B7-F61B160E7492.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

I have a hut on a field not much bigger , this year the farmer mowed the whole thing for me instead of just lanes I had in the past . I like it much better they crossed those lanes pretty fast last year ( first time I ever hunted it , although its been there 8-10 years ) .  

This year I sat in it the Sat prior to gun opener and had a nice 8 walking all around it, these pics are two days prior to OD 8, 8:14 AM , you can see my hut in the open 70 yards away . My time and camera time there is limited though .

They should be hammering that Timothy !

Put out a couple more blinds / stands , seat time during the season is the best “ scouting .”

FF6529DB-BFF3-4260-91DC-BB3E9986FA06.jpeg

960C70B0-E5C5-40A1-90B7-F61B160E7492.jpeg

But,,,, did you see any AFTER opener ?

Get your blind on the edge facing into your property. so you can watch both where they bed and where they travel too.. I also suggest letting this all grow up because in all reality one should want safe bedding cover before a food source if your looking to see daytime deer activity. Cover 1st, food source 2nd. You could also plant this field into a big seed blend with taller and shorter crops to benefit you and the deer, creating cover and food all in one. But If it were me since this is only 6 acres surrounded by farmland.. Make this all cover, let it grow up and plant 2 or3 "clumps" of white pine trees across this field opening. And maybe create a small opening for  soft or hard mast trees the drop fruit/nuts during the season you plan to hunt this.. since its only 6 aacres.. If it were me, keep it thicker for bedding cover, and add food by utilizing trees and shrubs.. not big open food plots. Unless you can privacy screen them in.. then id convert half to cover and half to a food source.  

Also the key with any property especially small properties is to keep all human pressure off of it as much as absolute possible.  

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2