blackbeltbill

Thoughts On Improving This Site For 2020.

I joined this site in 2014. I enjoy alot of the Forums and look forward to what alot of members has to say. I am on here everyday.   Still, I think this Site could be further improved for 2020. There is always going to be disagreement on Threads as we all have different Knowledge. A Healthy discussion of differences of Thoughts on a Subject is to be expected. I think a problem starts when 1 member really comes down on another. It then Snowballs as other members join in on a Gangup. It has happened to me more then once in the Turkey Forum . I believe the first time was late May in 2016 when, I slightly wounded a Gobbler that got away. I made the mistake of posting that.  Quite the Firestorm and a good 3 or 4 pages of negative replys. Many from members who otherwise would never post a Thread of their own or replys in other Forum Threads. They saw a Gangup and joined right in. This has happened to a number of other members as well. Another example would be the member who disagreed with the Youth Turkey Season some years back. I don't think that member has been back.    Now on another site that is almost identical to this one in format- it has the addition in the members Profile of---  0 Warning Points-- No Restrictions being applied.  You know exactly where you stand..   If that was installed on this Site-- all members- even those who joined in 2010 or so would be on a Equal footing.    Another problem that, I see is members disagreeing with another members Thread in General Chit Chat. Spam to one Member or Mod may not be to some other members or Guests.   ( General Chit Chat-- This Is A Place To Talk About Anything...)  The solution to this is Simple. If you see a Title to a Thread in Chit Chat and you just know you will not like the content-- just don't open it. Of course if you do not Like a Member and that Members username is below that Thread as the Author-- why would you open it and leave a Negative reply?? But it happens often and sometimes in a Clique. Something similar happening now is the Impeachment Proceedings.  Everyone who is a Trump Supporter like yours Truly knows that what is going on is based solely on Hate. The whole Country knows as well- but, I digress.  Hopefully this good Site will be more Friendly in 2020. When that happens more members will post Threads. Personally, I get tired of Counterpunching. That's how, I roll though--- so there's that. On this Thread though, I won't respond to any Neg comments. Hopefully we all can have a more Positive experience on this Site in 2020.   Bowing off the Dojo Floor.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It would be nice if everyone could be civil.  I've never understood posting negative comments that attack the poster, rather than the post.  And even that can be done with civility.  There is no reason to get personal with ad hominem attacks, especially insults.  Besides, it detracts from the debate in the post.

Of course, we all have to deal with a certain level of unprofessional conduct in our every day life.  That's why people often strive to live in "exclusive" neighborhoods.  :derisive:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Moderators who are active. WNY is, but BurmJohn and Geno C are not at all. FastEddie was, but not recently.

Most Importantly, we need a store we can order from! OR give the rights to @goosifer to print and sell logo apparel

• Like 8

I will add to what rattler said how about not being able to post a thread whose sole purpose is to demean   members they don't like  .  

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Moderators who are active. . . . .

Be careful what you wish for. "Active" moderators could have unintended consequences. For example, if a moderator "takes sides" or does too much or not enough in different members' opinions, it could cause more issues. Moderating a forum is walking a tight line. In general, I think the forum does a great job basically self-moderating itself most of the time. That aside, i do think the forum needs more resources dedicated to moderating, just to better spread the workload. But I don't think the site owner is willing to pay, and I don't see anyone volunteering, so we are kind of stuck where we are at with moderators.

One suggestion I would make to the forum, which I am not sure how much programming would be required or if it's even feasible, would be to a add a flavor of "Ignore User" whereby you don't see the thread title for a new thread started by an Ignored User. Even better, if you could choose which subforums you ignore a certain member's posts and or threads started. For example, let's say you have no problem with a certain member's posts in the deer hunting subforum, but don't care for their posts in General Chit Chat or Politics. You could choose to just block seeing that member's posts and new threads in the latter subforums, but still see their posts in the hunting subforum.

• Like 3

i think it's just fine. store might be cool but honestly would you make enough profit to justify the PITA of dealing with it? better yet have pop up give always for things like tshirts. have to be involved to get swag. only way. then you can make swag in limited runs that's nicer stuff. each unofficial contest or whatever. gotta give people what they want though so no swag isn't an option.

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upper Hudson River Valley QDMA

48 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

I will add to what rattler said how about not being able to post a thread whose sole purpose is to demean   members they don't like  .  

I'm pretty sure this is already a violation of the rules of the site.  Report it when it happens.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 2

Be careful what you wish for. "Active" moderators could have unintended consequences. For example, if a moderator "takes sides" or does too much or not enough in different members' opinions, it could cause more issues. Moderating a forum is walking a tight line. In general, I think the forum does a great job basically self-moderating itself most of the time. That aside, i do think the forum needs more resources dedicated to moderating, just to better spread the workload. But I don't think the site owner is willing to pay, and I don't see anyone volunteering, so we are kind of stuck where we are at with moderators.
One suggestion I would make to the forum, which I am not sure how much programming would be required or if it's even feasible, would be to a add a flavor of "Ignore User" whereby you don't see the thread title for a new thread started by an Ignored User. Even better, if you could choose which subforums you ignore a certain member's posts and or threads started. For example, let's say you have no problem with a certain member's posts in the deer hunting subforum, but don't care for their posts in General Chit Chat or Politics. You could choose to just block seeing that member's posts and new threads in the latter subforums, but still see their posts in the hunting subforum.
We have@WNYBuckHunter who is an active mod. Why do we need anymore?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just now, The Jerkman said:

We have@WNYBuckHunter who is an active mod. Why do we need anymore?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I believe he carries a disproportionate burden when it comes to moderating. Note, I didn't say the site needs more moderating, just that the current moderating burden should be spread out among more moderators. Given he is, as I understand it, a volunteer, I think too much of the burden is put upon his shoulders.

14 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Pay to play and have to use your real name. That would weed out many. I mean come on? Some of the ones that give advice on here is....Well not really sure what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great point. Even $25 per year would get rid of trolls and force lurkers to pay up for free info.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That's a great point. Even $25 per year would get rid of trolls and force lurkers to pay up for free info.

I would be fine with this

• Like 1

Wyoming county   9H and 9N

And help John better everything needed about the site. On top of only the real people that really care about the site, people and info would be here. Win! Win!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

But then the site would be so boring, need trolls every once in a while to keep things interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, NYBowhunter said:

But then the site would be so boring, need trolls every once in a while to keep things interesting. 

Fair poinr. Trolls are the spice of forum life

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Problem is, a lot of lurkers or casual users would not pay that, site traffic and ad revenue would then go down, offsetting the subscription fees. The free (advertising) vs. paid membershiprevenue model for internet forums is an issue that goes way beyond this particular forum. Maybe, if there was a way to make a two-tier membership structure, one paid and one free, with the paid members getting certain perks, maybe, just maybe, that could be net revenue positive for the site and net improved user experience for the members. How one would structure that, i have no idea.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

2 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Fair poinr. Trolls are the spice of forum life

1 minute ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Lol. If one wants Drama...Go to Facebook.

Just now, NYBowhunter said:

My man, exactly. Id pay up the $25 but gotta let the trolls in.

I promise to continue to troll.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goosifer said:

Problem is, a lot of lurkers or casual users would not pay that, site traffic and ad revenue would then go down, offsetting the subscription fees. The free (advertising) vs. paid membershiprevenue model for internet forums is an issue that goes way beyond this particular forum. Maybe, if there was a way to make a two-tier membership structure, one paid and one free, with the paid members getting certain perks, maybe, just maybe, that could be net revenue positive for the site and net improved user experience for the members. How one would structure that, i have no idea.

the westchester fishing forum is like that. Paid Members have access to additional forum topics where inside info is shared (what reservoirs are hot, current water temps, etc.)

1 minute ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Lol. If one wants Drama...Go to Facebook.

Dont do alot of social media including facebook, i need to get my kicks over here with the trolls..lol

• Like 1