What would you recommend for a gun cleaning solvent

rob-c

21 minutes ago, Zem18 said:

Larry has a point, what weapon are we talking about cleaning? I use a couple different products for shotgun and rifle and completely different products for the ML and the pistol

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

People aren’t paying attention.......

Thats ok, until the have a misfire in their ML’r.   

• Like 1

For centerfire, Hoppes #9 is tried and true, but I think Shooters Choice is actually better for heavy copper/brass, lead deposits.

For muzzleloaders, even with the newer propellants I don't think anything works as good as a sink/bucket of boiling water and dish soap, a good scrub and plungering  water in and out through the breech / nipple hole with a tight patch. run patches until dry,, chances are the bbl will be too hot to handle from the water, and will evaporate dry very well. Run a patch of your preferred lube/ etc. down the bore and ready to go. It takes only a little longer than cleaning with just the solvent of choice, but dangit, I never have to worry about any rust a year down the line.

• Like 2

for anything with smokeless powder that you listed i've used Hoppe's, Butches Bore Shine, Boretech, Montana Extreme, and Sweet's products whether mine or somebody else's. They all work just fine. Hoppe's it the most readily available so that's what i  pretty much use. I try not to use anything ammonia based. For ML i've used TC products blue liquid solvent and bore butter when using 777 propellent. switching to BH209 that won't really work well i think. Montana Xtreme works well with BH209 in a ML.

For centerfire, Hoppes #9 is tried and true, but I think Shooters Choice is actually better for heavy copper/brass, lead deposits.
For muzzleloaders, even with the newer propellants I don't think anything works as good as a sink/bucket of boiling water and dish soap, a good scrub and plungering  water in and out through the breech / nipple hole with a tight patch. run patches until dry,, chances are the bbl will be too hot to handle from the water, and will evaporate dry very well. Run a patch of your preferred lube/ etc. down the bore and ready to go. It takes only a little longer than cleaning with just the solvent of choice, but dangit, I never have to worry about any rust a year down the line.

That’s how I clean my sidelock, I actually get the water close to boiling and wear an oven mitt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've used Hoppes #9 for over 60 yrs. as my primary cleaning solvent and it is time proven. I use it on all my guns that shoot smokeless powder. As to muzzle loaders, it depends on the propellant you are using. If you are using the Savage 10ML with smokeless powder then Hoppes #9 is what to use. If you are using black powder or black powder substitutes like Triple 7 then hot soap and water works great. If you are using Blackhorn 209 then you must use an oil based solvent. See the link for more on Blackhorn 209. I hope this helps you out.              valoroutdoors.com.                    https://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/general-cleaning/