What would you recommend for a gun cleaning solvent

rob-c

So you soak the patches in the hot soapy water? 

No I put a pot of hot soapy water in my laundry tub, put the breech in it and “pump” the soapy water in and out using a big swab on the cleaning rod. Then I switch to a brush and scrub it a few times then swab a bunch more. Then I dump that water and keep changing to clean water until it squirts out clear through the nipple. It’s a huge pain in the ass, I highly recommend an in-line lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No I put a pot of hot soapy water in my laundry tub, put the breech in it and “pump” the soapy water in and out using a big swab on the cleaning rod. Then I switch to a brush and scrub it a few times then swab a bunch more. Then I dump that water and keep changing to clean water until it squirts out clear through the nipple. It’s a huge pain in the ass, I highly recommend an in-line lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Even with the inline My one concern with this process would be the scope.
But I guess I could just pour the water down the Barrel with the inline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

cheap bulter creek bikini cover scope caps. work great keep the lens dry, even in down pour.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chef said:

Didn't you switch to Blackhorn? Push a brush a few times and run some patches through.

Somewhere there is a really long and detailed write up on cleaners / solvents / lubes. Hornady makes some stuff that rated at the top, so I've been using that since.

Without mentioning names, a member mentioned he uses hoppes, but his gun was the first I had to run under the sink in a long time.....cleaned and lubed with Hornady cleaner. I'll ask him how it's holding up

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hoppes #9.  Makes for great cologne too. Both wife n daughter commented on it last week as I cleaned rifle to put away 

The smell of hoppes immediately brings me back to being a kid eating TV dinners watching football while my dad cleaned Guns

• Like 3

Even with my inline, I prefer the soap and water technique...I use either blackpowder (for my Lyman Great Plains,) or 777. I allways pull the breech plug. If I don't, it will seize up and rust. The patches will get satureated immediately with use. It is a good idea to run a brush first.

15 hours ago, Daveboone said:

For muzzleloaders, even with the newer propellants I don't think anything works as good as a sink/bucket of boiling water and dish soap, a good scrub and plungering  water in and out through the breech / nipple hole with a tight patch. run patches until dry,, chances are the bbl will be too hot to handle from the water, and will evaporate dry very well. Run a patch of your preferred lube/ etc. down the bore and ready to go. It takes only a little longer than cleaning with just the solvent of choice, but dangit, I never have to worry about any rust a year down the line.

You won't get a muzzleloader cleaner with any other method.  Boiling water and dish soap will get it spic and span clean.  You are wasting your money on cleaning solvents for muzzleloaders.

• Like 1

For most of my bore cleaning Hoppes Bench Rest has worked very well for me, I do a lot of rimfire shooting and I like bullets like Winchester's Dynapoints that use a copper wash over those that have a wax like substance. After a few hundred rounds some bores can get fouled and the Hoppes puts them back into pristine condition, works just as well for centerfires.

Muzzleloader bores get cleaned with hot soapy water and get swabbed with Frog lube when dry.

When I get inside of guns for internal cleaning I use Ballistol quite a bit.

For external and internal rust protection I like wiping down with Frog Lube 

Al

9 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

The smell of hoppes immediately brings me back to being a kid eating TV dinners watching football while my dad cleaned Guns

Agreed.  Right at the dinner table he usually did it.  My only point is they've vast improvements on a lot of things in the past 30 years.