Outdoors Folder Knife

dbHunterNY

This Benchmade Osborn 940 is becoming my favorite outdoor/hunting knife; axis lock, soft coat aluminum scales, and s30v reverse tanto blade. Perfect size and shape for gutting and/or quartering a deer. Sharp enough to shave with it. No Bush craft shit but yea.

...what's your favorite outdoor knife?671db5ecdc447785d69bdfdd79a08b01.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Tough to beat benchmade.   I have few benchmades I really like and a couple of esees.   I prefer a 3.5-4” blade for field dressing.  Probably in the minority on that size.   I like the benchmark crooked river and grizzly creek for folders.  But for cleaning reasons, I actually prefer fixed blades.  Esee 4 and the more narrow saddle mountain skinner.  

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Tough to beat benchmade.   I have few benchmades I really like and a couple of esees.   I prefer a 3.5-4” blade for field dressing.  Probably in the minority on that size.   I like the benchmark crooked river and grizzly creek for folders.  But for cleaning reasons, I actually prefer fixed blades.  Esee 4 and the more narrow saddle mountain skinner.  

i think cleaning would be a pain in the ass compared to a fixed blade. this one is lighter and slimmer than the benchmade ones you mentioned.

39 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

I've gone through a few before finding this set that I like. Outdoor edge skin and cape combo. I always seem to misplace my knives when field dressing, but these orange handles are hard to lose. They stay sharp, handle well, and didn't cost much. 

Screenshot_20191214-214918.png

Grandmother gave me a set my grandfather had ordered and never used.seem to hold good edge.only one deer so far,will see what happens.use my uncles old wood handled knife for gutting etc.will get pic of that next time up at property

41OeEsXkUML._AC_SY400_ML2_.jpg

• Like 1

I have dozens (maybe even 100+) knives and the ones I use the most are cheap Gerbers.  These two have a thick, tough blades that stand up to abuse but can keep a decent edge.  Having a bottle opener on it doesn’t hurt either.  

ACDD6179-5650-4864-8F94-EDF013D0358B.jpeg

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 1

I have a few knives . 20191215_072351.thumb.jpg.abce3ad01ca7b8c0047690f7224f4fb2.jpg

My favorites are .  Uncle Henry  fillet knife. Buck clip for daily carry. Case xx for deer hunting. My father's Case xx  I dont carry hunting anymore. Blade is getting quite narrow. Small case xx for small game. A Montana silversmiths knife bought me for a church knife.. she didn't like me to carry my buck knife  to church and such.20191215_072841.thumb.jpg.e4647b56a2de1fa2e3a63b1567f79311.jpg

I always have a buck 110 in my hunting pack and another in my console of the truck. A Gerber tool in my truck also.

Man cant have to many knives

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I’m in the process of looking at Benchmades. I don’t own one yet but was pretty impressed with them. I’ve narrowed it down to the grizzly creek and grizzly ridge. They are pretty much identical besides the rubberized handle on the ridge. I like it a lot but I’m worried about it coming off overtime. The gut hook on the creek is a nice touch. Decisions decision...

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Man cant have to many knives

You have got that right, I have collected more than a few myself but for many years the one I go to and carry most times when hunting is an old USA made Western two blade, nothing fancy but nice quality, the old gal can hold a razor edge and with the two different style blades handle all the field dressing and skinning chores I run into no matter what type of game I am hunting.

Al

2019-12-15_083226.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

My favorite hunting / deer knife is my basic Grohman. Holds a wonderful edge, just seems to point and handle itself. I have a close match Grohman but a bit fancier with bone handles I pack for a go to, but my favorite buchcrafting / heavy duty knife is my Camillus Air Force survivial knife. Indestructable, not too big, sharpening stone right there with it. But....I usually have a Victorinox swiss army for real fine stuff, screwdriver / bottle opener and corkscrew. The three of them, I am ready of anything!

Top one is my main deer knife a Old Timer Stockman, carbon steel . Below is my now retired Schrade LB7 ( buck 110 clone ) it gutted my first buck and countless others , canoed the Yukon River  , too many memories to risk loss at this point .

Then a few EDC knifes, a Rick Hinderer xm 18, a Spyderco Matriarch, a Strider Rouge Warrior, that I sent to Tom Krein for a custom regrind .

If you find me without a knife , it’ll be naked in the shower . 

9D916D24-0D34-4853-830E-3D92CC87D956.jpeg

• Like 5

Just one? Who only has one knife in the woods?

My EDC for maybe about 5 years was a cheap $4 folder from Walmart, don't remember the brand, and no stamp on it. gutted and skinned many a tree rat with it, gutted fish, opened boxes, and the usual chores for a basic EDC. It's not retired. but my new EDC since June is an MTech USA Ballistic. Like that knife a lot, just haven't had it long enough to beat up yet, LOL.

The knives in my deer pack are an Old Timer fixed blade I got in a set three years ago, and a folder I've had since around '98.

Bushcrafting and camping of any kind? I want a hefty rugged fixed blade. I have two that are now my go-to's, my Cold Steel SRK and a Camillus Titanium. Both have withstood some minor chopping, batoning, and some basic carving one might need of you don't have a pot hook or need a tent stake.

Any knife I buy for being in the woods is going to get used, and not always for the intended purpose of a knife. They don't get abused ( More or less LOL ), but they get a work out. Which is why I really prefer a fixed blade.

So, If I had to say what my favorite outdoors knife is, the one I need for what I am doing on that day/trip.

Who am I kidding... these are my most used and favorite knives 
E927ABED-119D-4837-9A32-07F890D65549.thumb.jpeg.fbadb294c828703f1df92d95601c6eac.jpeg
Well I have separate favorites for skinning or processing once the deer's hanging somewhere. I've got Dexter Russell soft grip 6" boning knives and a Victorinox 4" "Rabbit skinner" that are my go to.

The cheap JA henkels set was micro serrated and junk. I ground them down to fine nonserrated edge. Dont hold edge long but sharpen fast and easy. Chef knife and 7" santoku get used the most along with 3" paring knife.
39f54bf643a26f62e5eb4cb00dd607f5.jpg5ce9ba069d377f1a83785f01ceb9e290.jpg

Definitely liking the benchmade in the original post havent had a chance to use it on deer yet but I already use folders for deer in field. Pain to clean but worth it to have something compact and light to fit in a pocket versus a large fixed blade. For years I've used cheap $5 lansky folders (pic). Small for the task though and despite razor sharp they dont hold an edge to skin and quarter a deer with just one. Thinking the benchmade with better steel and over 3" blade will do much better. Blade is still not real wide which to me is good for deer.
4828188db3fcf5fc699d7fe1f4e18dde.jpg

Just one? Who only has one knife in the woods?

My EDC for maybe about 5 years was a cheap $4 folder from Walmart, don't remember the brand, and no stamp on it. gutted and skinned many a tree rat with it, gutted fish, opened boxes, and the usual chores for a basic EDC. It's not retired. but my new EDC since June is an MTech USA Ballistic. Like that knife a lot, just haven't had it long enough to beat up yet, LOL.
The knives in my deer pack are an Old Timer fixed blade I got in a set three years ago, and a folder I've had since around '98.

Bushcrafting and camping of any kind? I want a hefty rugged fixed blade. I have two that are now my go-to's, my Cold Steel SRK and a Camillus Titanium. Both have withstood some minor chopping, batoning, and some basic carving one might need of you don't have a pot hook or need a tent stake.
Any knife I buy for being in the woods is going to get used, and not always for the intended purpose of a knife. They don't get abused ( More or less LOL ), but they get a work out. Which is why I really prefer a fixed blade.

So, If I had to say what my favorite outdoors knife is, the one I need for what I am doing on that day/trip.

I guess I meant EDC and hunting. Most of us arent needing a Bush craft knife often. If im in that position I'll have a small hatchet. You're right they each serve a purpose and I'm not gutting a deer with something I can chop a sapling down with. lol

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

I guess I meant EDC and hunting. Most of us arent needing a Bush craft knife often. If im in that position I'll have a small hatchet. You're right they each serve a purpose and I'm not gutting a deer with something I can chop a sapling down with. lol

My apologies.

10 hours ago, DirtTime said:

My apologies.

totally fine... if we want to go the bushcraft route a couple i've handled are really nice from benchmade and LT Wright that'd be easy enough to sharpen. couldn't imagine beating the hell out of such a nice knife though.

I did toss a Mora in my pack this year , was surprised at how well it cleared saplings around stands, for such a light weight knife . Wasn’t all,that impressed with the one buck I field dressed with it , generally not a zero grind guy though .