No mans land?

First-light

1 minute ago, nyslowhand said:

JMO, not just for Xbows, but any weapon or projectile hitting this long, non-lethal region below the spine & above any vitals.

There lies the misconception.. that shot is not below the spine.. below the top of back but not spine. Actually above the spinal cord.. non lethal shot with a bow or crossbow.. often lethal with a gun due to the shock.. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, ncountry said:

Not so much wrong end but.  You are right I was brought up calling backstraps tenderloin.

glad you got that straighted out.  some "wise" figure must have been hijacking your tenderloins you never knew existed. probably pointed to the backstraps and said "yup looks like you got everything". lol

That shot went over the spine, and into the back strap meat. That is what most people consider no mans land. there is no void below a deer spine and above lungs. Doe snot exist. Organs are held touching one another, inside the chest cavity. IE the reason your ribs expand when you breathe.. 

A shot here and the deer typically lives

a shot in the spine or artery and you'll recover the animal,

Below the spine should be lungs, and unless your shooting a stupid steep angle, you should have a double lung and dead deer down the trail.. 

• Like 4

On 12/17/2019 at 12:22 AM, G-Man said:

High.. as for no mans land , I high shot just below spine is rare , and deer can survive it..

Saw it on a buck at WNY bowhunters.   Would not have believed it.  But arrrow holes were under spine.   Buck survived and was killed by gun.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 3

On 12/20/2019 at 6:38 PM, moog5050 said:

Saw it on a buck at WNY bowhunters.   Would not have believed it.  But arrrow holes were under spine.   Buck survived and was killed by gun.  

front to back where was it under the spine? assuming you mean actual spine/cord and not just portion of vertebrae?

5 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

front to back where was it under the spine? assuming you mean actual spine/cord and not just portion of vertebrae?

shot was under vertebrae and looked like it should have hit lungs.  I would not have believed it was not a fatal shot but hunter later killed it in gun.  Carcass was not yet skinned but it was gutted.  I didn't do a CSI review, but it was clear that arrow holes were under spine and into the cavity below spine.

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

shot was under vertebrae and looked like it should have hit lungs.  I would not have believed it was not a fatal shot but hunter later killed it in gun.  Carcass was not yet skinned but it was gutted.  I didn't do a CSI review, but it was clear that arrow holes were under spine and into the cavity below spine.

i'm curious though front to back position of where it went under. if i had to guess i'd say far forward or back but not in the middle. seems to me those places would be the first to deflate and move the most. timing had to have been perfect still and deer breathing super heavy instead of shallow relaxed breathes.

Edited by dbHunterNY

2 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i'm curious though front to back position of where it went under. if i had to guess i'd say far forward or back but not in the middle. seems to me those places would be the first to deflate and move the most. timing had to have been perfect still and deer breathing super heavy instead of shallow relaxed breathes.

If I recall correctly, it was slightly back, but not far back.  maybe @WNY Bowhunter can confirm.  I know it made me a believer in the alleged "no man's land" when I had never believed it before.

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

If I recall correctly, it was slightly back, but not far back.  maybe @WNY Bowhunter can confirm.  I know it made me a believer in the alleged "no man's land" when I had never believed it before.

if you shoot and see enough deer get shot with an arrow you'll believe almost anything is possible. under the context of "no man's land" i still don't. as in it's likely very rare to have an arrow pass through that spot without the lungs there, despite it could happen. people use the term like if you hit there often the deer will get away and live. it's my opinion many see a shot at a certain angle that entered a spot like the one in the original post.

Just now, dbHunterNY said:

if you shoot and see enough deer get shot with an arrow you'll believe almost anything is possible. under the context of "no man's land" i still don't. as in it's likely very rare to have an arrow pass through that spot without the lungs there, despite it could happen. people use the term like if you hit there often the deer will get away and live. it's my opinion many see a shot at a certain angle that entered a spot like the one in the original post.

Yep Dan, not suggesting that a deer wouldn't be dead 99.9% of the time on the deer I saw.  I just assumed it would be 100% fatal.  It was a that can't be moment.  But it was.

• Like 2