No mans land?

First-light

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

If I recall correctly, it was slightly back, but not far back.  maybe @WNY Bowhunter can confirm.  I know it made me a believer in the alleged "no man's land" when I had never believed it before.

I didn't examine it too closely but it definitely wasn't a lethal hit. My friend who shot the deer with a bow and then later killed it with a gun is a forum member here.   

If I remember correctly,  this arrow wound may have even been a touch lower than the one pictured. 

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

1 hour ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

I didn't examine it too closely but it definitely wasn't a lethal hit. My friend who shot the deer with a bow and then later killed it with a gun is a forum member here.   

If I remember correctly,  this arrow wound may have even been a touch lower than the one pictured. 

was it shot from the ground?

a buck on the farm got shot back and high with little penetration. it didn't hit it hard enough to break vertebrae and severe spine. left a whole in the hide and didn't manage to hit the stomach. same thing it got shot in rifle chasing a doe. it wasn't forward of the diaphragm though.

They're incredible animals for sure.  Don't have the pics on this phone...I discovered a broken off arrow shaft with a G5 montec embedded in the shoulder of my 2016 bow buck. It was from the previous season but the most interesting part was that the head was lodged in coming OUT of the shoulder blade at the exit side. I only discovered the broadhead as I was quartering the deer to butcher it and I couldn't cut the front leg off with a knife. Upon closer inspection my knife blade was hitting the arrow shaft and I discovered the tip of the broadhead just under the skin surface. I have no idea how an arrow penetrating through the chest cavity didn't kill him? I watched this deer all summer and I never noticed him limping because of it. It took a knockoff $1 RAGE Chinadernic to get the job done...lol.

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 1

I think we all know that a no mans lands is just a reference to a high hit that did not get a kill.  I hit a doe a few years ago in this area and lost the animal with very little blood.  I am not here to argue just saying this is a known spot that is not usually lethal and many of us have had this issue.  No mans land no but not a good area for a kill shot with many hunters now showing pictures of how it does not kill. 

I was also told this NO mans land does not exist but it sure is not a great spot for a kill!  

quartering and definitely at the top edge of the lungs it seems like. hard to tell unskinned but seems low enough to be into the chest cavity. must have been timed perfectly where the lungs were deflating which isn't exactly something you can plan for. i always aim for the bottom third and it still usually ends up slightly higher due to me and the deer's reaction. obviously that wasn't escpen's point of aim. things happen. maybe holding lower has been saving me more than i've realized?

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, escpen said:

Here’s the entry:

6fddc8fbc04b45e0b81c6bbba7fad51b.jpg

Here’s the exit:

3e4b8d623fc7266825099a6a31b3f438.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Years back, I made this exact shot on a mature 8pt. and lost him. We even tracked him with a dog for miles! I ended up shooting him in gun season that year. And could plainly see where the fixed 3 blade thunderhead went through the upper chest cavity, and healed up!!! To this day, I don't know how he survived that hit? The lungs were destroyed from the bullet, but I saw no sign of scarring from the broadhead. I will see if I can find the old 35mm pic's.

I have also made this same shot one other time, and recovered the deer within 100 yards!  Taking out the top of both lungs. 

During my days with DeerSearch, I have seen it go both ways many times. 

• Like 5