Louisiana Hunting

Arcade Hunter

Heading down to Bossier City Louisiana for a week to spend Christmas with my daughter.  My son in law just asked me if I will be hunting with them... Oh hell yea I will!  

Wild pig and deer.  Needless to say, I am super pumped for this trip!  We will be hunting Bodcau WMA .  Anyone here ever hunt in LA?  I am super interested in hearing anything you have to say about it. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Heading down to Bossier City Louisiana for a week to spend Christmas with my daughter.  My son in law just asked me if I will be hunting with them... Oh hell yea I will!  

Wild pig and deer.  Needless to say, I am super pumped for this trip!  We will be hunting Bodcau WMA .  Anyone here ever hunt in LA?  I am super interested in hearing anything you have to say about it. 

Enjoy.  Always wanted to do some piggy hunting night style!

• Like 1

They have nutria there too. Its not exciting but if I were to ever go to some place and be able to hunt, I would try to hunt the unique games there since you won’t be able to hunt it any where else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You're hitting the south right during the rut. It's an odd feeling to have christmas and the peak of deer season hit at the same time.

My advice is to hunt the deer the same way you hunt them here, but don't misjudge them. They're a lot smaller. I shot a 3.5 year old buck that weighed 115 lbs. and a 2.5 year old doe that weighed 75. I can confirm the ages as I hunted public land that required jaw bone aging.

Anyhow, deer are deer. Be sure to read up on the regs, there can be a lot of differences such as blaze orange, shooting hours, antler restricts, baiting and dogs and you should be prepared for those as ignorance isn't an excuse. 

again, can't stress misjudging a "good deer" based on size.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Belo said:

You're hitting the south right during the rut. It's an odd feeling to have christmas and the peak of deer season hit at the same time.

My advice is to hunt the deer the same way you hunt them here, but don't misjudge them. They're a lot smaller. I shot a 3.5 year old buck that weighed 115 lbs. and a 2.5 year old doe that weighed 75. I can confirm the ages as I hunted public land that required jaw bone aging.

Anyhow, deer are deer. Be sure to read up on the regs, there can be a lot of differences such as blaze orange, shooting hours, antler restricts, baiting and dogs and you should be prepared for those as ignorance isn't an excuse. 

again, can't stress misjudging a "good deer" based on size.

Thanks for the input, Belo.  You answered my first question... The rut.  That is definitely  good luck for me.  I've had nothing but lousy luck this year in NY and maybe I can redeem myself.

I will bone up on the regs for the area.  That will give me something to do while in the air and I will not forget the advice on the size of the deer down there.  Ill be in area 2 in Bodcau WMU and from what I've read (quickly) there are no AR's and what you can take is generous.. something like 4 does and 3 bucks, not to mention if you stumble across a pig...shoot them all.  My daughter will appreciate the meat in the freezer for sure.

I am not going to bait, shooting hours are half hour before and after (i like this), No dogs.  They have a Catahoula hound dog that would be hard pressed getting it's own ass off the sofa... he a lazy one but a great dog.  My son in law and his buddy have been hunting this place for a few years, not real hard though but they have done a lot of scouting and it sounds like they have a few areas in mind to try.  My Onx app is all loaded up and ready to go.

Can you tell I am excited about this??

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Elmo said:

They have nutria there too. Its not exciting but if I were to ever go to some place and be able to hunt, I would try to hunt the unique games there since you won’t be able to hunt it any where else.

I have read a little bit about the nutria.  Something else I can read about on the way down.  Are they any good to eat?  I know Beaver is (que @Pygmy)

15 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Thanks for the input, Belo.  You answered my first question... The rut.  That is definitely  good luck for me.  I've had nothing but lousy luck this year in NY and maybe I can redeem myself.

I will bone up on the regs for the area.  That will give me something to do while in the air and I will not forget the advice on the size of the deer down there.  Ill be in area 2 in Bodcau WMU and from what I've read (quickly) there are no AR's and what you can take is generous.. something like 4 does and 3 bucks, not to mention if you stumble across a pig...shoot them all.  My daughter will appreciate the meat in the freezer for sure.

I am not going to bait, shooting hours are half hour before and after (i like this), No dogs.  They have a Catahoula hound dog that would be hard pressed getting it's own ass off the sofa... he a lazy one but a great dog.  My son in law and his buddy have been hunting this place for a few years, not real hard though but they have done a lot of scouting and it sounds like they have a few areas in mind to try.  My Onx app is all loaded up and ready to go.

Can you tell I am excited about this??

yeah bag limits are usually pretty generous. Pigs are fun, but be warned that there really isn't a good way to determine a good eater. Some smell and you dont know that and they taste like they smell and others are delicious. As you said, shoot em all is what the regs recommend anyhow.

Another thing I just thought of. Up north, your worst fear in the woods if falling and maybe a momma bear and her cubs. Down south there's lots of shit that can kill you. Pack a mini first aid kit with a snake kit and if it's not too late, some snake gaiters aren't the worst investment either. maybe you can borrow some from the family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I have read a little bit about the nutria.  Something else I can read about on the way down.  Are they any good to eat?  I know Beaver is (que @Pygmy)

Never tried it.  Wife has always talked about possibly going down to New Orleans for Halloween one day.  If/when it ever does happen, I'll definitely try to squeeze in a quick hunt while there. 

I have read a little bit about the nutria.  Something else I can read about on the way down.  Are they any good to eat?  I know Beaver is (que [mention=320]Pygmy[/mention])

Pretty sure nutria is nothing but a fancy way to say water rat. Having said that, anything cooked in a stew pot long enough with some tomatoes potatoes and carrots will come fine enough to eat .

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Pretty sure nutria is nothing but a fancy way to say water rat. Having said that, anything cooked in a stew pot long enough with some tomatoes potatoes and carrots will come fine enough to eat .

Even bear?

4 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Are you talking FLAT tailed beaver, or SPLIT tailed beaver....???

One is very filling and nutricious…  The other is lots of fun but can get you in trouble...Or so I have heard...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, crappyice said:

there are some ways to prepare nutria that people really enjoy. There's even a restaurant in Texas that serves it and people love it. It is indeed one of those animals that needs to be prepared the right way though.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Well how did you make out @Arcade Hunter ?

Not good.  It turns out the season for Bodcau ended prior to my arrival there but you could still hunt private property.  We as of yet do not have a private place to go.  My son in law and his buddy are shopping around for a lease.  On a good note, I started to build a stash of hunting gear to leave at my daughters house so I don't have to drag all that there each time.

Christmas with the family was incredible...

• Like 5