whats involved in leasing land? and how much $$

I have a question, what is involved in leasing a 46 acre parcel of land that is for hunting land, ? would it be for the whole year and would exclusive rights to hunt be on it, and can the leasee put in food plots if desired, what kind of use would they be entitled to, just hunting, or would they expect use year round for camping and such as well?

what kind of dollar amount would be reasonable and worth it for both parties involved?

the land is mixed harwoods, pines, open fields, trails, some tree blinds already set up on productive trails, easily accesable, just checking on options with this piece I have for sale, I would rather sell it , but , trying to figure out if its worth it to do it another way, I see people looking for leases alot,, and the "neighbor" just leased his and its almost 90% open fields

thanks pat

You being the landowner, would be the one to set the terms, limits and rules. The more the leasee can do, and have access to on the property, the more valuable the lease would be to them paying the money.

It does look like a great property! And I'd think you would have little trouble finding a person or group to lease it. Just make sure everything is spelled out exactly how you want the land used, and not abused. A legal document is a must here. And protects both parties.

Good luck.

While I'm certainly not a regular at land leases I know that we have a club lease in unit 8F that consists of a lot of farmland (beans and corn), and some hardwoods and a few swamps. Mostly all dry huntable ground. We pay $14/acre to lease it from a few different farmers. That being said the farmers have received stronger offers but the club has leased the property for several years now and have a good relationship/understanding with the owners. It'll continue to climb slowly over the years I'm sure as leasing has gotten really popular as of late.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Where are you located? Might be interested in talking to you if you are somewhat local to me. 

We lease two different properties and each have different rules from the land owner. We don't do any camping or anything but we do work on both leases, cutting access trails, trimming trees for shooting lanes etc. We are talking about putting in some food plots next year if there aren't any crops. Ultimately the landowner makes the rules......

57 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Where are you located? Might be interested in talking to you if you are somewhat local to me. 

We lease two different properties and each have different rules from the land owner. We don't do any camping or anything but we do work on both leases, cutting access trails, trimming trees for shooting lanes etc. We are talking about putting in some food plots next year if there aren't any crops. Ultimately the landowner makes the rules......

I am located in 7M... about 7 miles outside of norwich ny,,  close to rt 23, its chenango county

I have been leasing different properties for years. Currently, one of our properties is leased through a large lumber company, directly. It is by far the best arrangement I have had to date. In the past I have leased private properties from individuals. They never seem to work out. My advice would be to be very specific in what you are willing to offer to the leasee so there is no confusion down the road. Don't assume things are fine because you guys "talked about it up front".  As an example, once we had the property owner's sister and boy friend show up opening day to hunt. Of course we weren't OK with that, but it caused a big problem with the family when they were told to leave, and the family always wins in the end.  Do your research on liability as well. I am fairly certain in NY,  if you accept payment for hunting rights, you are liable for personal injury. A policy is included with our current lease. I'm no lawyer, but I would advise looking into this. 

Edited by Don_C
grammer
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Don_C said:

I have been leasing different properties for years. Currently, one of our properties is leased through a large lumber company, directly. It is by far the best arrangement I have had to date. In the past I have leased private properties from individuals. They never seem to work out. My advice would be to be very specific in what you are willing to offer to the leasee so there is no confusion down the road. Don't assume things are fine because you guys "talked about it up front".  As an example, once we had the property owner's sister and boy friend show up opening day to hunt. Of course we weren't OK with that, but it caused a big problem with the family when they were told to leave, and the family always wins in the end.  Do your research on liability as well. I am fairly certain in NY,  if you accept payment for hunting rights, you are liable for personal injury. A policy is included with our current lease. I'm no lawyer, but I would advise looking into this. 

Also, knowing how these things work, leasing privately will in many cases end up in a bidding war with someone else.  Even if the landowner didn't get an offer to lease from someone else they will tell you they did, just so they can increase the price on you.  Lucky is the guy who can lease long term from a private landowner without these various issues rearing their ugly head! 

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

thanks guys,, I appreciate it,, I didnt really think about the selling part,, I was thinking temporary until I sold, but leasing it the group or person is  thinking long term,, I may not go this route, I was just kinda sad it wasnt being used like I used to,, maybe open it by the day,, hmmmm,,, thanks all, Merry Christmas

On 12/17/2019 at 9:38 AM, maplehillfrm said:

I have a question, what is involved in leasing a 46 acre parcel of land that is for hunting land, ? would it be for the whole year and would exclusive rights to hunt be on it, and can the leasee put in food plots if desired, what kind of use would they be entitled to, just hunting, or would they expect use year round for camping and such as well?

what kind of dollar amount would be reasonable and worth it for both parties involved?

the land is mixed harwoods, pines, open fields, trails, some tree blinds already set up on productive trails, easily accesable, just checking on options with this piece I have for sale, I would rather sell it , but , trying to figure out if its worth it to do it another way, I see people looking for leases alot,, and the "neighbor" just leased his and its almost 90% open fields

thanks pat

Where is it located ? I’m looking to buy some land

12 hours ago, luberhill said:

Where is it located ? I’m looking to buy some land

chenango county , plymouth ny  , area 7m,, off route 16, close to norwich ny.

lots of stateland around as well, 46 acres open and wooded, plenty of places for a home or camp,, I have some info in the post under this one in for sale, thanks

to the left of the driveway, including the driveway

0723171919a_HDR.jpg

Edited by maplehillfrm

12 hours ago, luberhill said:

Humm how many acres is woods ?  Road frontage ? And cabin or buildings ?

I would say about 30 acres + is woods,, road frontage approx 300 feet,, and no cabin or buildings, there is a small 8x12 lean to in one of the upper fields,, but basically for sitting and relaxing, could be finished,

Screenshot (7).png

Edited by maplehillfrm

Thanks everyone for the input the interest and the help.., I think being fair to a potential leasee,  I will probably not go the leasing route , as the longevity for a secure felling for hunters will not be there, again I appreciate the help with something I knew nothing about,, have a wonderful New Year, God bless you guys,

thanks guys,, I appreciate it,, I didnt really think about the selling part,, I was thinking temporary until I sold, but leasing it the group or person is  thinking long term,, I may not go this route, I was just kinda sad it wasnt being used like I used to,, maybe open it by the day,, hmmmm,,, thanks all, Merry Christmas

Depending on what you are looking for I would consider a lease until you sell kind of thing. I would do it alone or possibly with a group If you didn’t mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk