3 C - Rondout Reservoir Area

bfahy13

New to the Ulster County area

Looking at purchasing a camp from a friend along Rt 55.

Just wanted to know if anyone hunts this area, and how the population is.

Also, the land is bordered by a state forest and some DEP land, both public hunting grounds. Should this be a concern? 

Thanks, B

Bordering public ground can be a blessing or a curse.  It depends on how accessible the adjoining public ground is to the public.  If the closest access is a good distance away, great.  If there are public parking areas, trails, etc. that are close to your land- not so good.  You could either be overrun, or you could have lots of property to yourself  I had property that was surrounded on three sides by State forest.  But, it was directly adjacent to public hiking trails.  I didn't have problems with hunting pressure (mostly because the hunting wasn't so good).  But, I had constant issues of trespassing and vandalism due to the constant foot traffic through the area.

3 hours ago, virgil said:

Bordering public ground can be a blessing or a curse.  It depends on how accessible the adjoining public ground is to the public.  If the closest access is a good distance away, great.  If there are public parking areas, trails, etc. that are close to your land- not so good.  You could either be overrun, or you could have lots of property to yourself  I had property that was surrounded on three sides by State forest.  But, it was directly adjacent to public hiking trails.  I didn't have problems with hunting pressure (mostly because the hunting wasn't so good).  But, I had constant issues of trespassing and vandalism due to the constant foot traffic through the area.

Exactly my fear. 

Heading up in a few weeks to walk the place