Winter wheat or Winter rye

I don't know of any advantages of one over the other.  I used winter rye that I got free from a farmer friend of mine.  It will truly grow just about anywhere.  I planted it as a cover crop for clover in the woods under some mature white pines.  It grew great and re-seeded itself.  

I have had people tell me that winter wheat is more attractive to deer.  I believe it prefers better growing conditions than rye.  I might lean toward wheat if you are planting in an open area, and rye if you are working in the woods.

Good luck!

I dont think there is any real advantage. Both are fairly similar.  

Cereal Rye will establish and grow quicker(which will get your ground covered fast from possible weed germination) which is a plus, but it will mature much faster also. Rye gets a little taller than Wheat as well. And I also believe its less desired to deer compared to wheat. Cereal Rye will grow anywhere basically, and i mean  anywhere some sunlight reaches as well as some rain.. 

Winter Wheat will provide a more desired food source to deer(IMO) grows slower (which is good, protects your clovers longer) 

If your soil isn't ideal, go with Cereal Rye, if soil is in great shape, go with WW. 

My $.02 

• Like 2

The main reason I go with wheat is that deer like it better.   Also, it is cheaper and easier to find than rye.    As has already been mentioned, rye grows better in poor (acidic) soils.  Rye also takes less nitrogen from the ground than wheat, which is an advantage if you are looking to follow it with something like brassicas or corn.  

The wheat worked especially good for me last season.  Due to the wet spring, the only food plots I got in were about 3 acres of fall-planted wheat/clover/soybean mix, and about an acre of turnips.  It was the first year in the last 25, that I did not have any standing corn in early November, but I still managed to arrow my best 8-point ever, and he had a belly-full of wheat.    

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

Wheat by far, is my only choice. Feeds the herd in the fall to early winter; then feeds them again in early Spring. Then continues to feed all types of wildlife when grain fills and dries down. Turkeys come in and can reach the shorter growing straw better. Common cover crop wheat is cheaper in price and does better on my soils than rye. Hands down my choice for deer, turkey, and other wildlife choices. I frost seed in late Winter with a good Mammoth red clover and create a perfect deer magnet.

i always understood winter wheat or rye and cereal wheat or rye where one in the same. opposed to say forage rye grass which is totally different. we seeded down a pasture with that and deer didn't seem to care for it.  winter/cereal wheat or rye both get hammered at our farm though. haven't figured out if they prefer one over another.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 9:36 PM, wolc123 said:

The main reason I go with wheat is that deer like it better.   Also, it is cheaper and easier to find than rye.    As has already been mentioned, rye grows better in poor (acidic) soils.  Rye also takes less nitrogen from the ground than wheat, which is an advantage if you are looking to follow it with something like brassicas or corn.  

The wheat worked especially good for me last season.  Due to the wet spring, the only food plots I got in were about 3 acres of fall-planted wheat/clover/soybean mix, and about an acre of turnips.  It was the first year in the last 25, that I did not have any standing corn in early November, but I still managed to arrow my best 8-point ever, and he had a belly-full of wheat.    

Where did you manage to find winter wheat and for how much? I couldnt find any last yr.

Haven't really searched much locally since I'm not planting until fall but was going to check Agway. I'd guess they could probably order it for me if not in stock. Did run in to several online sources that had it if Agway can't get it. A little more pricey but mostly in the shipping cost.

The advantage to winter rye is it grows and germinates down to 37 degrees and can handle more acidic soil. 

Wheat need much warmer temps.almost 50. So if you fall behind in planting rye is better if early frost. If you plant on time wheat is prolly a little better as far as cost and return.

• 2 weeks later...