Anyone ever use deerage.com?

chrisw

I just ordered an aging kit for my bow buck. It'll be interesting to see the results. We're guessing he was between 3.5-5.5. I never liked the visual molar wear, it's too generic and frankly too easy to twist an extra year up or down. Just wondering if anyone here has used cementum annuli aging before and how accurate you thought it was? I have no history with my buck so...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

we use Matson lab. send in 10 or so sets of teeth. bewteen $15 and 20 per set. Send them in January and get them back in the spring. accuracy depends mostly on whether or not you damage the root of the incisor getting them out. here in the NY we don't allow baiting so it's very accurate. in areas they supplemental feed all year it's much less accurate. i don't know about Deerage but Matson lab gives you letter grades. they're often "A" for the most confident result.

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I never used them, but always heard good things about them from the bowsite forum. I wish I kept my jaw now.

it'd be a good test for @chrisw to post a couple photos of his buck's lower jawbone. someone like me can come up with an age, and then when he gets the results back from Deerage you'll see how close the guesses were.

it'd be a good test for [mention=5688]chrisw[/mention] to post a couple photos of his buck's lower jawbone. someone like me can come up with an age, and then when he gets the results back from Deerage you'll see how close the guesses were.
I can post a few pics of the half of the jawbone that I have, my taxidermist misunderstood that I wanted the entire lower jaw back and he split the lower jaw in half through the front incisors. I'm sending it out tomorrow but if you want I'll throw up pics of what I have?
As for price, it cost me $50 (I paid the extra $15 for an age certificate) and results should be back within 90 days. The teeth did not look nearly as worn as deer I have shot in the past so it will be very interesting to see what they determine.

• Like 1

I sent some in about a month ago. I did the 45 day service. So I should hear back in the next few weeks. This was my first time ever sending teeth in. I’m thinking 3.5 y/o, possibly 4.5 for mine. Your teeth look pretty worn down..
I killed this doe a few years back during archery, I still have her lower jaw in the freezer for future aging. Her teeth were the most worn I've ever seen. I killed her in a bow only area too, I'm anxious to see how old she was also, just haven't sent the teeth out yet...Screenshot_20191226-191050.jpgScreenshot_20191226-191018.jpgScreenshot_20191226-190935.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I killed this doe a few years back during archery, I still have her lower jaw in the freezer for future aging. Her teeth were the most worn I've ever seen. I killed her in a bow only area too, I'm anxious to see how old she was also, just haven't sent the teeth out yet...Screenshot_20191226-191050.jpgScreenshot_20191226-191018.jpgScreenshot_20191226-190935.jpg

Nice.....that'd be worthy of aging for sure.

• Like 2

I was debating on whether or not to even shoot the doe because she just wasn't that big, honestly I kept going back and forth on whether it was a fawn or not. She hung around at 3 yds too long and I decided it wasn't a fawn and shot her. She only hit 98 lbs on the scale. Possibly going downhill? I was very surprised to see her teeth after assuming she was 1.5yrs old at the shot.

I was debating on whether or not to even shoot the doe because she just wasn't that big, honestly I kept going back and forth on whether it was a fawn or not. She hung around at 3 yds too long and I decided it wasn't a fawn and shot her. She only hit 98 lbs on the scale. Possibly going downhill? I was very surprised to see her teeth after assuming she was 1.5yrs old at the shot.

I've shot similar doe that were well over 8.5 years old, the theoretical limit and passed the actual limit of the tooth replacement and wear method. Often they were lighter. Last one was actually 95lbs dressed on the money.

Hard to say with the original deer. I can see clearly up to 4.5 yrs old. Dried blood and crap on the last molar to see it clearly enough to get to 5.5 yrs old. Profile height middle aged to mature deer. Lingual crests are all just chipped so I'm not really looking at them. I'll say 4.5 yrs old based on pictures and not jaw in hand. That's my guess. lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My guess is also 4.5 yrs old, I don't put a lot of faith in my tooth wear aging abilities and only slightly more in general. But based on all of the factors, antler mass, 190# dressed, tooth wear, size of his head etc... It may come back at 3.5, it may come back at 6.5, really tough to say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

My guess is also 4.5 yrs old, I don't put a lot of faith in my tooth wear aging abilities and only slightly more in general. But based on all of the factors, antler mass, 190# dressed, tooth wear, size of his head etc... It may come back at 3.5, it may come back at 6.5, really tough to say.

don't remember what your buck looked like. last night i was zooming in with my phone. at work this morning looking at pictures on my PC. despite the junk on the last molar i can still see some of the dentine width in spots that would put it at 5.5 yrs old. going with the method it seems like it's likely 5.5 yrs old. on some occasions like this one deer with chipped lingual crests (points of the teeth) for some time cause premature wear pushing it to look like one year older than it actually is. the crests aren't sharply broken like they'd happen recently. same goes for things broken molars or abscess that would make them favor the otherside. in that hypothetical case you want to look at both sides as they will appear to be different ages but obviously their not. your buck jawbone doesn't appear to be showing any signs that it was 6.5 yr old. I'm going with a hard 5.5 yrs old with a slight possibility it's 4.5 yrs old. we typically send the teeth out for bucks anything 4.5 and up just as you're doing though.

another things i thought about that isn't really conclusive at all but food for thought is the head DEC biologist Mr Hurst showed me collared doe involved with his research and it looked very similar to yours. it came back from lab at 16.5 yrs old. definitely a "trophy" in my mind if you killed a doe like that.

don't remember what your buck looked like. last night i was zooming in with my phone. at work this morning looking at pictures on my PC. despite the junk on the last molar i can still see some of the dentine width in spots that would put it at 5.5 yrs old. going with the method it seems like it's likely 5.5 yrs old. on some occasions like this one deer with chipped lingual crests (points of the teeth) for some time cause premature wear pushing it to look like one year older than it actually is. the crests aren't sharply broken like they'd happen recently. same goes for things broken molars or abscess that would make them favor the otherside. in that hypothetical case you want to look at both sides as they will appear to be different ages but obviously their not. your buck jawbone doesn't appear to be showing any signs that it was 6.5 yr old. I'm going with a hard 5.5 yrs old with a slight possibility it's 4.5 yrs old. we typically send the teeth out for bucks anything 4.5 and up just as you're doing though.

another things i thought about that isn't really conclusive at all but food for thought is the head DEC biologist Mr Hurst showed me collared doe involved with his research and it looked very similar to yours. it came back from lab at 16.5 yrs old. definitely a "trophy" in my mind if you killed a doe like that.
A few full body pics. IMG950919.jpgIMG950921.jpgIMG_20190912_120600_01.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/18/2019 at 1:15 PM, chrisw said:

I just ordered an aging kit for my bow buck. It'll be interesting to see the results. We're guessing he was between 3.5-5.5. I never liked the visual molar wear, it's too generic and frankly too easy to twist an extra year up or down. Just wondering if anyone here has used cementum annuli aging before and how accurate you thought it was? I have no history with my buck so...

Did tooth rings on my big 8pt and bear.  8 ot was 8.5 and bear was 5

Shot in 2000 had sheds going back to 93. Was a big 8 then as well. Year before times were 2x as long.. FB_IMG_1577593962289.jpg.fa129c83a977bfb42c55095c887ea0dd.jpg
That's awesome, and to have history with him for so long is even more unique. I have a feeling I'm going to be doing this deerage thing a bit more often when I get a deer that looks to be old, doe or buck. I need to order another kit now for my doe teeth, that's the one I'm really curious about.