How far away to place wiggly and caller?

What is the recommended minimum and optimal distance to set up downwind of your wiggly and caller/speaker, assuming you are set up on the ground in a flat field? My land is overgrown, but I did brushhog foodplots that never got planted. One in particular may possibly be big enough to set up in. Thanks.

Everyone is different but I usually set the caller 50-75 yards upwind of my sitting or standing location. I don't go any farther because I want them coming in as close as possible. The farther it is away the longer shot you will most likely have. I don't use a wiggly so can't help you there but since they are almost always attached to the caller the distance is the same.:mda:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last year most hung up quite a aways before the caller.  only 2 dogs that I recall came near it and both were killed (by treeguy) at 50-60yds.  We were generally putting the caller at approx. 50 yds.  I agree with steve.  Any farther and based on last year, you are just adding to what were already long shots it seemed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I use mine I have it close to the caller and will try my best to make it easily seen even hanging it, I hunt in the daylight mostly in the woods early morning or just before dark, 50 or 60 yards it about the average distance I set it out.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Thanks 1

I usually try and keep my wiggly right between my two legs when hunting. But in all seriousness I have mine attached to the caller. And I like to keep my caller 40 or so yards away from me somewhere between 30 and 40 when I use my shotgun. I have called one dog straight into it. Crazy bastard almost trampled me on his full sprint to it. Then I shot right over his back and stung em. I know this courtesy of his nice yelp he gave then abruptly made a 90° turn the other way lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually place the call 60-75 yards out. Maybe a little further if its a deep field. Majority of the time they are going to use cover like a hedgerow to try and skirt around the call to get downwind of it. I try and place it so they have to expose themselves while trying to get downwind of it. My decoy attaches to the call so they are always together.

2 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Question for all you predator hunters, i always used mouth callers, but if you were to get a new electronic  caller today, what would it be? My wife wants suggestions as to what to get me for xmas, so this might fit the bill. Let me know. Thx

Don't forget the wiggly. They make great Christmas presents, too. 

1 minute ago, goosifer said:

Don't forget the wiggly. They make great Christmas presents, too. 

Do you buy the wiggly seperate or do they come with any good quality caller? Any suggestions? Thx. Oh sorry to post this in your thread, but just thought it was fitting instead of starting a new one. 

6 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Do you buy the wiggly seperate or do they come with any good quality caller? Any suggestions? Thx. Oh sorry to post this in your thread, but just thought it was fitting instead of starting a new one. 

Mine was separate, but you can buy them built into the caller, too. So many to chose from . . . 

[I tried to insert pics, but not working. See link1 and link2 for examples]

Your question is great. Adds to the value of the thread.

Edited by goosifer

19 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Question for all you predator hunters, i always used mouth callers, but if you were to get a new electronic  caller today, what would it be?

Most of the varmints I have called have been with mouth calls, they actually will work every bit as good as the electronic jobs. I have a little pocket sized mini Phantom that I carry a lot and it works well. Many of the Varmints I have killed have been when out Squirrel hunting, when the Squirrel hunting gets a little slow I take out a call and cut loose. While I have some pretty nice Varmint rigs I do not need anything fancy for the short ranges I run into most times in the woods, I have taken quite a few with just a 17 HMR, 22 or 22 mag.

As for electronic calls the FoxPro is near the top and many top Varmint hunters use them, I have an old early model and it works well but I use it more for crows than Varmints.

Al

2019-10-23_193201.png

2046130510033835012VzVvUS_fs.jpg

2337203220033835012uCwYaq_ph.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

Most of the varmints I have called have been with mouth calls, they actually will work every bit as good as the electronic jobs. I have a little pocket sized mini Phantom that I carry a lot and it works well. Many of the Varmints I have killed have been when out Squirrel hunting, when the Squirrel hunting gets a little slow I take out a call and cut loose. While I have some pretty nice Varmint rigs I do not need anything fancy for the short ranges I run into most times in the woods, I have taken quite a few with just a 17 HMR, 22 or 22 mag.
As for electronic calls the FoxPro is near the top and many top Varmint hunters use them, I have an old early model and it works well but I use it more for crows than Varmints.
Al
2019-10-23_193201.thumb.png.da5d438fac33a00244c69e4a4bdb97bf.png
2046130510033835012VzVvUS_fs.jpg.507c8c4fce2cb3789ee4ee44e40a5e62.jpg
2337203220033835012uCwYaq_ph.jpg.b764d864b7bc81280bd7985e3c7db03c.jpg
Are those the same dog? The short hair is a much nicer look IMHO

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Can you explain or give a typical example zeek?

Ive hunted with guys that put the call close to cover, whether its a block of woods that backs to a field or a hedgerow. The yotes can literally get within a few yards of the call without exposing themselves, and if they do they are on the call and gone in a second. One time last year hunting with 2 other guys the one guy set the call about 3 yards from a hedgerow separating 2 fields. Had a yote come through the one field undetected and we picked up the eyes just as it got to the hedgerow. Two steps and it actually tore the fabric decoy topper off the call and was gone before anyone could get a shot. I want to make sure my call is far enough off of cover that they have too expose themselves to get to that call long enough for a shot opportunity. They may hang up and watch the field/ call for awhile, but stop calling and let thier curiosity get the best of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYBowhunter said:

Question for all you predator hunters, i always used mouth callers, but if you were to get a new electronic  caller today, what would it be?

Just one opinion but I think the best bang for your buck would be the Fox Pro Fusion. It has a lot of options that most including me will ever use but it's reputation has been good. I just purchased one this year for one reason only. The fusion has the bigger remote which is supposed to be easier to use and has a bigger display.

I have a primos alpha dog I would let go for $175 and a FoxPro wildfire II for $100 if you would be interested. Both are in good condition and work like they should. The remote screen on the alpha dog has a couple of minor scratches but they don't hinder viewing the screen.

Electronic callers have so many options and the options are usually what effects the price. Regardless of what you buy I would recommend doing your homework as there so many configurations to consider.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/foxpro-wildfire-ii-electronic-game-call

https://www.primos.com/primos-hunting/e-callers/alpha-dogg/c-24/c-86/p-124

https://www.amazon.com/FoxPro-Fusion-Electronic-Predator-Digital/dp/B076SQFRK3

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Al

2019-10-23_193201.png

2046130510033835012VzVvUS_fs.jpg

2337203220033835012uCwYaq_ph.jpg

Airdale, what do you have laying upon the yote in the third pic? 

Love the color on the stock.

49 minutes ago, XGX7PM said:

Airdale, what do you have laying upon the yote in the third pic? 

That is a carbon fiber barrel Browning BuckMark 22 LR

The middle rifle is a Ruger 77/17 17 HMR

The Top is a OU Savage 24 22 LR- 410

Al

Edited by airedale

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Just one opinion but I think the best bang for your buck would be the Fox Pro Fusion. It has a lot of options that most including me will ever use but it's reputation has been good. I just purchased one this year for one reason only. The fusion has the bigger remote which is supposed to be easier to use and has a bigger display.

I have a primos alpha dog I would let go for $175 and a FoxPro wildfire II for $100 if you would be interested. Both are in good condition and work like they should. The remote screen on the alpha dog has a couple of minor scratches but they don't hinder viewing the screen.

Electronic callers have so many options and the options are usually what effects the price. Regardless of what you buy I would recommend doing your homework as there so many configurations to consider.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/foxpro-wildfire-ii-electronic-game-call

https://www.primos.com/primos-hunting/e-callers/alpha-dogg/c-24/c-86/p-124

https://www.amazon.com/FoxPro-Fusion-Electronic-Predator-Digital/dp/B076SQFRK3

Thx for the offer, but just gathering the info. Now  then will decide.

31 minutes ago, airedale said:

That is a carbon fiber barrel Browning BuckMark 22 LR

The middle rifle is a Ruger 77/17 17 HMR

The Top is a OU Savage 24 22 LR- 410

Al

Have a carbon fiber proof bull barrel on my 223 wylde.  Its a tackdriver and the whole gun weighs under 5.5lbs.   Doesnt seem to heat up either (at least for a 5 shot string or so).

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1