Number 1 change for next year?

Swamp_bucks

Mine as of now is going to be a heavier arrow setup.  Im hoping with a fixed blade and extra weight it will help with penetration.  Already looking at different heads and inserts.  Ide like 150-250grains at the tip. Im open to any pointers.  Looking at victory arrows as of now.

As of now whats your biggest change?

Stand,equipment,property,ect?

Edited by Swamp_bucks

My biggest change will be to shoot a deer!~lol~

But really it will be to buy a brush hog.  Planning on getting one in the spring to tow behind my buddys ATV for our lease.  Gonna keep it cut and seed some clover in places and open up an extra trail or two in the amazing thickness of that place, but not enough to make deer not feel secure.  Got some work to do! 

• Like 5

Cut in more trails, put up more stands and build a bunch of natural ground blinds. 

For your broad heads look at the Magnus black hornets, guys have posted some great photos of the damage they are leaving. To up my wife and sons  arrow weight I installed 50 in my sons and 75 grain brass inserts in the wife’s arrows. 

I am considering going heavier on my arrows as well,and gettingng the magnus. This year i was afraid of the scapula and hit both my deer further back than what would have been ideal. I got both of them,but not as clean as i and they would have liked.

Another thing is getting into saddle hunting for a significantly lighter set up. My summit climber keeps me from going back and or checking things out along the way.

And i want to scout state land around me as i think the pressure during bow season is very light on that,and i want to hunt where there are good bucks around. Between my 30 acres and my buddies 300 i can count all the rubs i found this year on two hands and i covered a lot of ground. There was at least one nice buck around,but i think the buck doe ratio is so skewed that the bucks are barely competing for does because everyone gets one or ten. I have been shooting does for years,but i dont think i am making a difference.

Mine as of now is going to be a heavier arrow setup.  Im hoping with a fixed blade and extra weight it will help with penetration.  Already looking at different heads and inserts.  Ide like 150-250grains at the tip. Im open to any pointers.  Looking at victory arrows as of now.
As of now whats your biggest change?
Stand,equipment,property,ect?

328e629009add002a8d46e6fc9697763.jpg
I switched to these this year and I will tell ya they are Bad Azz! I only shoot 55lbs at 56 and 2 back surgeries and broken collar bone and I got 3 pass thru's in 3 shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I mainly am hoping to ge tmore time to spend afield next year.. this yr was horrid. Way too many things gone wrong,  and still continue to do go wrong out of my control.

If possible , Id Like to add weight and get more FOC on my arrow setup as well.

Also like to get a box blind or 2 setup.. and get back into some habitat/property management 

For me it's more time in the woods before the season. I didn't spend nearly enough time scouting this year and it showed in how hard it was for me to get a deer. I found one nice spot where I put my dad the first two weekends and he took 2 nice does. After that, they grew wise to it and wouldn't cross close enough for a muzzleloader shot (primitive weapons only zone). I did find another spot on that piece of public that showed promise, but I haven't figured out entry and exit where I don't boot everything out of the bedding area. 

46 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

328e629009add002a8d46e6fc9697763.jpg
I switched to these this year and I will tell ya they are Bad Azz! I only shoot 55lbs at 56 and 2 back surgeries and broken collar bone and I got 3 pass thru's in 3 shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the looks of these too! And obviously they work well!

I shoot only 50lbs on my compound set up. Wonder if these heads will work for me with the lower poundage?

We are thinking of putting in about a dozen acres of corn this year, and letting it stand through the hunting season. 

Also would like to put in a couple permanent box blinds. And upgrade to a more sturdy hub blind, like the Redneck or something similar. A step up from the the Ameristeps we've been using the last couple years, that don't hold up in the snow very well.

As I get older, I find these types of blinds much more comfortable to hunt from, when the weather is less than ideal. And placed in the right spot, very productive as well.

• Like 1

I have a lot of thoughts in my head as far as next season goes.  Jenn is showing a ton of interest in hunting, neither of us are certain if she wants to be a harvester in the future though, but she definitely wants to tag along more often.  She is very interested in tracking, and did a great job this season.  So, our plans are to actually scout this preseason, Stateland, our property, and up at our camp.  She will go with me, help set cams up...oh, and we will be picking up 2 cellular cams for at home too.   We also want to scout for bear at stateland as well.  I hope that by her tagging along me, that it gets me out there a lot more prior to season.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, NonTypical said:

A fixed blade alone will help a lot with penetration. What’s your setup now?

I shoot a bear charge at 28inch draw.  I was shooting carbon express radial weaves with 300 spine 100grain tips with factory inserts and rocky mt. warhead mechanicals. My friend shoots same setup just with beamen arrows muzzys and the penetration he gets on the same targets is a big difference.  I also dont want to have to worry about the front shoulder.  Granted hit where you should its not a problem but things happen.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

I have a lot of thoughts in my head as far as next season goes.  Jenn is showing a ton of interest in hunting, neither of us are certain if she wants to be a harvester in the future though, but she definitely wants to tag along more often.  She is very interested in tracking, and did a great job this season.  So, our plans are to actually scout this preseason, Stateland, our property, and up at our camp.  She will go with me, help set cams up...oh, and we will be picking up 2 cellular cams for at home too.   We also want to scout for bear at stateland as well.  I hope that by her tagging along me, that it gets me out there a lot more prior to season.

Has she taken the hunters or bowhunters safety course? If you get a good instructor, she might really enjoy the material

• Like 1