Number 1 change for next year?

Swamp_bucks

15 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I shoot a bear charge at 28inch draw.  I was shooting carbon express radial weaves with 300 spine 100grain tips with factory inserts and rocky mt. warhead mechanicals. My friend shoots same setup just with beamen arrows muzzys and the penetration he gets on the same targets is a big difference.  I also dont want to have to worry about the front shoulder.  Granted hit where you should its not a problem but things happen.  

The x weaves have a lot of texture do them, I think that effects penetration on a target. Theyre tough as nails I shot them for several years

• Like 2

Number 1 change for next year?

One thing that I learned this year is that "next year" is not always certain. I have some things I want and would like to do different and can only hope the opportunities to do so will present themsleves. It is always something to look forward to and plan for but cannot be taken for granted.:umbrage:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Has she taken the hunters or bowhunters safety course? If you get a good instructor, she might really enjoy the material

Not yet, this is a brand new thought from her.  We are still talking about the ideas at this point

• Like 2

Just now, Bionic said:

Not yet, this is a brand new thought from her.  We are still talking about the ideas at this point

I started my wife with target archery,  then bow hunting. then  gun hunting , then pistol shooting .  She would say in the beginning I don’t think I could shoot a deer. Now she absolutely loves all of it. 
Good for her for taking a interest, and for you wanting her to . My wife became my hunting partner after my dad died before my oldest son became of age to hunt. 
Wouldn’t have it any other way ..

I am going to use a few more vacation days, during the early Northern zone ML season, so I can take that whole week off.  That will also put me up there for opening weekend of rifle season.    That is my new favorite time of year to be up there, when I can deer hunt the mornings and late afternoons, and smallmouth bass fish mid-day.    Thanksgiving weekend use to be my favorite, but was rough up there this year (other than my mother-in-laws cooking).  The lake froze over, blocking out the fishing, and there was not enough snow for good deer hunting.    There is always action (in the woods and waters) in October.       

• Like 2

I've been planning some improvements for next year since a few months ago. I need to clear some lanes and move some stands for sure. Biggest project though will be building an elevated box blind in the spring. My son is 6 and can't wait to get out, so the blind will provide a spot for him to join me. It'll also be nice for me on those windy.. rainy.. general crap weather days.

• Like 1

My hunting partner and I were talking about this the other day. We need to pay more careful attention to when we hunt “local” (3S prop) vs his land in 4Y. It seems like the rut (and other weather related events like leaves changing) are always 2 weeks behind in 4Y compared to 3S. This year during the 1st weekend in Nov, we were up at his place which was dead and things went crazy at home.

We also need to make a foot/atv bridge to sneak Into some honey holes we found.

My hunting partner and I were talking about this the other day. We need to pay more careful attention to when we hunt “local” (3S prop) vs his land in 4Y. It seems like the rut (and other weather related events like leaves changing) are always 2 weeks behind in 4Y compared to 3S. This year during the 1st weekend in Nov, we were up at his place which was dead and things went crazy at home.

We also need to make a foot/atv bridge to sneak Into some honey holes we found.

That’s interesting. I would have guessed the opposite that the north would be ahead of south

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am considering getting a  longer range mud dozer...My old Hawken and old eyes are not adequate for the average range shots  that I typically get from my tower stand...

Oh yeah...I'm also going to try to stop picking my nose and farting in public...

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 6:34 AM, rob-c said:

Cut in more trails, put up more stands and build a bunch of natural ground blinds. 

For your broad heads look at the Magnus black hornets, guys have posted some great photos of the damage they are leaving. To up my wife and sons  arrow weight I installed 50 in my sons and 75 grain brass inserts in the wife’s arrows. 

I was looking at the magnus stinger2 blade.  I can get them in 100, 125 and 150s.

33 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I was looking at the magnus stinger2 blade.  I can get them in 100, 125 and 150s.

I used a 4 blade stinger on my buck in my avatar, it was a quick awkward stance shot  from my climber . I hit him a little back, high entrance low exit , took out his liver and rear of the lungs.  
The blood trail was very minimal, I wasn't impressed. Let him lay over night,  found him 150 or so yards from shot. He was laying with the exit wound down hill and no blood on the ground. The owner of Magnus recommends the Buzzcut over the regular stinger for the better blood trails. I am using the black hornet  ser-razor. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Make accomodations for dad. He showed his age this season, and I'll be making some permanent stands, with easy access from the driveway. Also gonna build another blind on wheels. As far as on my end, no major changes.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I’ll help ya build 

• Like 1