Shed Hunting 2020

landtracdeerhunter

9f5c985b805f50929f7d1b072ad019df.jpg&key=198387f8017e07dde2b30c8e11ddc7df8ad45ad55ef402958548b957c18c7609

Wondering what others think about this theory.
Back in 2012 in Wyoming I scooped up these 9 sheds in 4 days of deer/antelope hunting. There was probably another 10 or so that I glassed up but didn’t bother walking hundreds of yards to grab each one. Obviously mule deer sheds are bigger than whitetail so easier to spot. But someone once told me the reason why there’s so many sheds out west is because they are out in the open the mice and other rodents that chew them get picked off my birds so easily. Therefore, sheds get a lot of age on them. Whereas back East they get chewed down. I will say some Of these mule deer sheds were 1 year old but some of the other are so old and brittle I can snap them in half if I wanted to. Yet they have no bite marks. Are they 5-10 years old? Seems rare to find an old shed here in the East

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[mention]crappyice [/mention] I had posted this a while back. Could be true?

[mention]crappyice [/mention] I had posted this a while back. Could be true?

Furthering my thought that “finding bone” shed hunting is harder than “killing bone” while actual hunting.

5 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Furthering my thought that “finding bone” shed hunting is harder than “killing bone” while actual hunting.

In Ny, yes. not out west. they have people line up on opening day of shed season and when they blow the whistle it's a sprint to grab bone

• Like 2

17 hours ago, chrisw said:

People who don't shed hunt don't truly understand how long it takes to find them. I've got 9 full hours in this year and came up with only 2. If I didn't truly enjoy being in the woods I probably wouldn't shed hunt either! But touching a big shed for the first time is so worth it!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

well said. I "shed hunt" while i'm walking around looking for squirrels, which I'm hunting while pulling cams and scouting for next year. It's just part of the excuse to get in the woods, which even during hunting season is my reward and my main goal. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

What an opening day for shed hunting !!! Crazy

yes, people line up the night before. it's so crazy that some places they had to ban shed hunting during certain times of year because it was effecting the migration of big game animals.

yes, people line up the night before. it's so crazy that some places they had to ban shed hunting during certain times of year because it was effecting the migration of big game animals.

Elk sheds right?? Big business these days in Chinese markets and sold
For bone chew toys.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Been really slow around here...still a decent amount of snow in the woods. 

#9 and 10

received_154407095631606.thumb.jpeg.bb34cd23ce647644ecaac4dac647dd85.jpeg

received_287801505528330.thumb.jpeg.2bcb4b7194c26bff9441dc10859955aa.jpeg

Lot of snow in woods still here.. mild winter will take more walking as traditional winter areas were not used heavy

8 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Put in 2.5 hours Sunday and got blanked........(had a GREAT time in the woods though!)

We're you searching up on the hill? My dad said there was still a ton of snow in the woods so I haven't even looked there yet.