Shed Hunting 2020

landtracdeerhunter

Wife got home early and I  must of had a look on my face after being stuck at home for 6 days now with no work or projects to do.  So she sent me out for a hike.  No sheds did find a hip bone to a cow about 3/4 mile into the woods.  Did find a couple great spots for bow hunting but I have no idea how I'm gonna sneak into them.  Nice to get out.

• Like 5

I have not been over to visit my parents (both in their 80's) since the Covid-19 stuff started.   My mom mentioned on the phone last night that dad found a big antler near the back of a clover field behind their house (4 points on it).  He has been trying to find the other side, with no success so far.    I have been concerned about the fate of a big 8-point, that I saw a few times over there during archery season, and now I can rest a bit easier.   It appears that he made it thru gun season.   

I did not see any bucks over there during gun season, after I "accidentally" killed the resident old doe on opening day.  I had seen several bucks over there earlier, all having smaller or busted-up racks, except for the big 8, which never gave me a good shot opportunity.   I was a bit concerned that a big, busted-rack buck that a neighbor killed over there might have been him, but dad's antler find proves otherwise.  

I am guessing that he will be 4.5 this year, which is a bit out of my league, but has me looking forward to the coming season.   I had killed 3.5 year old bucks over there in 2017, and 2018, but missed my chance last year.   I did manage to get one at home with my crossbow, but the bodies (and chest girth) are a lot bigger on the ones over at my folks place, on average.      

• Like 2

On 4/1/2020 at 9:51 PM, Nomad said:

Second time out and zippo . Lots of snakes and two Mylar balloons , I find those things each time out . I can’t believe no sheds !

11B73F05-A1D9-4071-A85C-6F9B6AD7CF15.jpeg

94C9FD3F-359F-46EA-A58C-68910F334F03.jpeg

D772C98E-BF2C-4B01-9C86-A8C3A820BCA0.jpeg

899C7AEB-92A7-478D-884C-BC6FF9D067BE.jpeg

Do you find these balloons in the same areas every year. I had a theory on this and apparently Dan Infalt does too..

• Like 1

Things picking up 3 the other day , one nice one today . The balloons are on any land I walk , where I hunt , a few different roads . Today on my buddy’s land 30 miles away found one there too .

0401B71F-F545-4555-B68C-307EC12D4CAC.jpeg

A42786DB-C88F-4957-B052-85BD6FB5F067.jpeg

C9486639-F946-49EF-A2C8-4DBBA3D6F09E.jpeg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Nice going @Nomad

Thanks it was a good day , friend of wife ,didn’t want her husbands gun , so I got a HK in the safe now .

I also gave  blood today, as I heard there’s a shortage , apparently I won’t have to have as many beers tonight ! 

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

Thanks it was a good day , friend of wife ,didn’t want her husbands gun , so I got a HK in the safe now .
I also gave  blood today, as I heard there’s a shortage , apparently I won’t have to have as many beers tonight ! 
Oooooo which one?

Call Me The Teflon Don

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I also have blood today, as I heard there’s a shortage , apparently I won’t have to have as many beers tonight ! 

Good man!  I've been pondering it lately...........it's been years since I've donated.  I don't know if mine is worthy these days?

The first one they made , HK 4 , two barrels , .22 and .380 . Needs a new buffer , common with these old ones.
62AF1F7D-A8F7-46A4-849D-F37E46A31B4E.thumb.jpeg.a201a2fb10e12956304f97bf4e17936a.jpeg
And excellent choice I almost picked one up with all the barrel sets for sub 800. Needless to say that was a major opportunity missed out.. though that same day I did snag a minty USP40 and USP expert 45 with original eagle industries bag for under 1k combined. The expert and bag are easily worth 1800 alone

Call Me The Teflon Don

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

That deer are bringing them there?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Lol. I have a spot on my property that is impossible to hunt from the ground. It doesn't matter what way the wind is blowing or the deer are coming from they bust out of there when they get to within 40yds or so.

The wind always swirls. The only time I've successfully hunted it is during a strong 25 MPHish wind..For over 40 yrs , I  find balloons close to every year in this same 50yd area.. something to do with the terrain, wind patterns, and air pressure..?That is my theory..  I don't really know for sure, but it happens too often to be coincidence. 

• Like 2

The first one they made , HK 4 , two barrels , .22 and .380 . Needs a new buffer , common with these old ones.
62AF1F7D-A8F7-46A4-849D-F37E46A31B4E.thumb.jpeg.a201a2fb10e12956304f97bf4e17936a.jpeg
I wouldn't shoot the 380 too much though they tend to shit the bed fast with them. But for a buffer contact James Williamson over at teufelshund tactical. He's fantastic especially with these old guns

Call Me The Teflon Don

• Thanks 1

All four barrels at that price seems pretty good . But I’ve got one day of experience with these lol . 

This one was free .... she just didn’t want it , “ toss it in the lake If you want “ was her response. The guy who,has after market buffers is taking orders , online but not working till the shutdown is lifted .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

All four barrels at that price seems pretty good . But I’ve got one day of experience with these lol . 

This one was free .... she just didn’t want it , “ toss it in the lake I’d you want “ was her response. The guy who,has after market buffers is taking orders , online but not working till the shutdown is lifted .
She was gonna throw it in the lake?! That's insane!

Call Me The Teflon Don