Late Fawn

NonTypical

I’ve been seeing this fawn around all season. Since it still has it’s spots, I’m thinking conceived in February at the earliest. It just goes to show how important it is to manage your deer herd and keep the does in check. And for anyone that doubts that there might be a second or third rut, pics don’t lie. 0EC712FC-71E4-4EF0-9CBB-688C6FC8BE37.thumb.jpeg.183560047b6c657c6aca079f3bbb3e15.jpegI’d say the poor thing must be a bit cold with the summer coat and 17* temps. 

That Fawn has 1 of 2 things against it already. Inbred or Sick. Look at the rough coat on it. I would bet that Fawn has looked like that for quite some time. In the wild a February breeding would be unlikely. Possible for sure but unlikely. Couple state parks on islands around here that don't allow hunting has fawns that look just like this one. Inbreeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

That Fawn has 1 of 2 things against it already. Inbred or Sick. Look at the rough coat on it. I would bet that Fawn has looked like that for quite some time. In the wild a February breeding would be unlikely. Possible for sure but unlikely. Couple state parks on islands around here that don't allow hunting has fawns that look just like this one. Inbreeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The coat has only been rough like that for the last week or so. I believe it is getting its winter coat starting to come in. February breeding here is quite common, especially when doe to buck ratios often exceed 10:1. Here’s a pic of the fawn from 2 weeks ago. B2441B19-A857-4D9E-BAAE-30AA860F1087.thumb.jpeg.4911eff4e605b2aabc8a811840ed0f4b.jpeg

I have pics from 2 years ago of a hot doe with 3-4 bucks on 1/25. 

Edited by NonTypical

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...