Squirrel gun

13 minutes ago, Chef said:

Reason behind this is 0 maintenance, bore snake and That’s it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maintenance is required no matter the weapon.  Bore snakes are made for .22's also. 

Shot too many tree rats and bunnies with my single shot .410.  great memories.  :drinks:

Edited by mowin

My ruger 10/22 has been great  probably  10000 rds down the pipe .  3 kids and 2 grandkids   . Have killed hundreds of squirrels  with it . I keep it cleaned and oiled . Run just about any ammo through it . Remington yellow jackets are about the only thing it doesn't shoot well. I'm guessing mine is 30 years old now .

I have a 10/22 that I got when I was a kid. It was used when I got it and pretty beat up, now that I have four 10/22’s it’s still my kick around winter walk/ tractor gun and has had an ungodly amount of rounds through it! Finished off a crow with it today. I’ve never had it apart to properly clean it just a bore snake or punch rod once a year if I remember. It’s got a fixed 4X Leupold on it. It’s about as bomb proof and low maintenance as a gun can get.

• Like 2

There are two separate squirrel seasons.  First one when there are leaves on the trees and the second one when the leaves are on the ground.  When the leaves and acorns are still on the tree, the squirrels will be up there almost exclusively running from branch to branch.  Here, while you might be able to still get them with a 22LR, a shotgun with bird shot is your best bet.  They're a little more bold during this time and feel the leaves gives them cover.  But as much as the leaves cover them, they also cover you.  Once are the leaves and acorns have fallen, they'll come to the ground more.  They're much more cautious during this time and spots you from a distance.  During this time, a 22LR is your better bet.  You can also use a high quality air rifle too.  In Westchester and other shotgun only areas, an airgun will gain you access to shotgun only areas too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

My ruger 10/22 has been great  probably  10000 rds down the pipe .  3 kids and 2 grandkids   . Have killed hundreds of squirrels  with it . I keep it cleaned and oiled . Run just about any ammo through it . Remington yellow jackets are about the only thing it doesn't shoot well. I'm guessing mine is 30 years old now .

Yup , yellow jackets with the truncuated cone bullet just don’t feed well. Loves the Stingers though   

2 hours ago, Elmo said:

There are two separate squirrel seasons.  First one when there are leaves on the trees and the second one when the leaves are on the ground.  When the leaves and acorns are still on the tree, the squirrels will be up there almost exclusively running from branch to branch.  Here, while you might be able to still get them with a 22LR, a shotgun with bird shot is your best bet.  They're a little more bold during this time and feel the leaves gives them cover.  But as much as the leaves cover them, they also cover you.  Once are the leaves and acorns have fallen, they'll come to the ground more.  They're much more cautious during this time and spots you from a distance.  During this time, a 22LR is your better bet.  You can also use a high quality air rifle too.  In Westchester and other shotgun only areas, an airgun will gain you access to shotgun only areas too.

THIS ^^^  X2

I can't recall ever cleaning the Ruger 10/22 that I have had for about 30 years.  I have not had many "misses" with it, and most of those have been on crows at 100 yards and were likely due to my mis-judging the wind gusts.   I put a cheap 4x Simmons 22 magnum scope on it which has never given me trouble.

I always aim for the lungs on squirrels. That don't damage the meat and gives you more room for error.  I aim for the head on woodchucks, otherwise they run off.  Yellow Jackets feed ok on mine and those are what I use for most hunting.  Coyotes only make it about 40 yards on average with one of those thru their lungs. I use cheaper solid-points of mixed variety for target shooting and for dispatching trapped animals.  I have two rotary clips for it, one loaded with yellow jackets and the other with solid points.  I did have feed issue with Remington thuderbolts one time, so I avoid those.    

I suppose maybe it is time for it's "quarter century" cleaning.  I am pretty meticulous about regular (at least twice a year) cleaning of my deer guns, but that Ruger 10/22 squirrel gun pretty much gets ignored in that respect.  It is kind of like "If it aint broke, dont fix it (or clean it)".  

Love my Ruger 22 haven’t been on a squirrel hunt since last year [mention=871]Biz-R-OWorld[/mention] land. The land of no critters just ice shelves .. Lol look at the city kid covered in Orange on private land after deer season 
AC3A2EE6-C75F-4E80-B021-2616F6A7E9B6.thumb.jpeg.cab902d9f4f7951bd47466a953cc8d2b.jpeg

No photo cred for Stormy? He took the picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love my Ruger 22 haven’t been on a squirrel hunt since last year [mention=871]Biz-R-OWorld[/mention] land. The land of no critters just ice shelves .. Lol look at the city kid covered in Orange on private land after deer season 
AC3A2EE6-C75F-4E80-B021-2616F6A7E9B6.thumb.jpeg.cab902d9f4f7951bd47466a953cc8d2b.jpeg

Rather be safe than sorry

• Like 1