Saddle Up

sodfather

After watching the hunting public guys and at first questioning how and why they use a saddle for bow hunting I thought I’d purchase one and give it a try for the 2020 season. It’s definitely going to take some practice and getting use to but I’m just tired of hanging my stands in the preseason and finding out they need to be elsewhere and being to lazy to move them making a ton of noise. I went with the Tethrd saddle and kit , not sure what climbing method I will use. I’ve been talking with @BowmanMikeand he’s planning on giving it a try this year. Anybody else have one or has hunted out of one let me know what ya think. 

0C9D6EC8-F851-4B89-9214-AC71F522D858.jpeg

• Like 6

After watching the hunting public guys and at first questioning how and why they use a saddle for bow hunting I thought I’d purchase one and give it a try for the 2020 season. It’s definitely going to take some practice and getting use to but I’m just tired of hanging my stands in the preseason and finding out they need to be elsewhere and being to lazy to move them making a ton of noise. I went with the Tethrd saddle and kit , not sure what climbing method I will use. I’ve been talking with [mention=6654]BowmanMike[/mention]and he’s planning on giving it a try this year. Anybody else have one or has hunted out of one let me know what ya think. 
0C9D6EC8-F851-4B89-9214-AC71F522D858.thumb.jpeg.d2e7a5f83340b359f7ef37a6b21ecbc0.jpeg
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've been researching this as well and I'm torn.  There is a weight savings but I don't think it is as significant as portrayed at first.  Regardless of saddle or stand you need a way to get into the tree so weight is equal there.  Then an ultralight stand runs around 11lbs.  The saddle typically runs about 2.5lbs.  Then add another 2lbs for a platform or added steps.  Then another 2.5 lbs for bridge hardware and accessories.  The pro's are 4lbs lighter and can shoot 360°, the cons seem to be comfort and negotiating the bridge.  A quality saddle and ultralight hang on seem to be priced about the same.  I'm leaning toward lightweight hang and hunt setup but I'd like to give a saddle a try.  After how cold this season was my fear is a saddle wouldn't be comfortable in lots of layers.   Very curious to hear others thoughts on this.

• Like 1

I've looked into them a fair amount but admittedly have never tried one. I don't think it's for me. Seems like a pita from the videos I've seen. It comes across to me as a fad that will die out but who knows? I too am looking forward to your first hand experience.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I've looked into them a fair amount but admittedly have never tried one. I don't think it's for me. Seems like a pita from the videos I've seen. It comes across to me as a fad that will die out but who knows? I too am looking forward to your first hand experience.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

A fad that’s been around forever......

Im not saying it’s easy but either is setting up a hang on or carrying a climber. I am saying I’m willing to try something new. Always looking to learn and try new things. 

• Like 1

After watching the hunting public guys and at first questioning how and why they use a saddle for bow hunting I thought I’d purchase one and give it a try for the 2020 season. It’s definitely going to take some practice and getting use to but I’m just tired of hanging my stands in the preseason and finding out they need to be elsewhere and being to lazy to move them making a ton of noise. I went with the Tethrd saddle and kit , not sure what climbing method I will use. I’ve been talking with [mention=6654]BowmanMike[/mention]and he’s planning on giving it a try this year. Anybody else have one or has hunted out of one let me know what ya think. 
0C9D6EC8-F851-4B89-9214-AC71F522D858.thumb.jpeg.d2e7a5f83340b359f7ef37a6b21ecbc0.jpeg

Is that a 2-man saddle for us to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I love the ability to be on the move quickly , my only concern is how much your accuracy suffers from the modified shooting stance. 

That’s my biggest concern is how’s my anchor how’s  my draw process, I can only try and practice out of it. The guys from Tethrd said if it affects my shot I can return with no questions asked they were that confident that your form is actually better. One of the guys shoots a long bow out of one . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, monahmat said:

I've been researching this as well and I'm torn.  There is a weight savings but I don't think it is as significant as portrayed at first.  Regardless of saddle or stand you need a way to get into the tree so weight is equal there.  Then an ultralight stand runs around 11lbs.  The saddle typically runs about 2.5lbs.  Then add another 2lbs for a platform or added steps.  Then another 2.5 lbs for bridge hardware and accessories.  The pro's are 4lbs lighter and can shoot 360°, the cons seem to be comfort and negotiating the bridge.  A quality saddle and ultralight hang on seem to be priced about the same.  I'm leaning toward lightweight hang and hunt setup but I'd like to give a saddle a try.  After how cold this season was my fear is a saddle wouldn't be comfortable in lots of layers.   Very curious to hear others thoughts on this.

I am getting  one,you can check it out once i have it. I want that box that @sodfather has,bad...

That’s my biggest concern is how’s my anchor how’s  my draw process, I can only try and practice out of it. The guys from Tethrd said if it affects my shot I can return with no questions asked they were that confident that your form is actually better. One of the guys shoots a long bow out of one . 

I shot out of one a lot before I ever hunted out of it and I never noticed anything different. As I’ve said on here before, even if I’m hunting a stand I already have hunt I still use the saddle and keep the seat folded up on the stand. It way more comfortable than any stand I’ve ever hunted before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3