Saddle Up

sodfather

Can't believe this would be any easier than my open Lone Wolf Climber. So light and flat against the back while in carry mode. Heavy clothing would have to effect the Sling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t wear a lot of heavy bulky closes but there is plenty of adjustments to make room for bulkier clothes.

My lone wolf hasn’t been off the nail in the barn since I bought my saddle years ago.

15 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Can't believe this would be any easier than my open Lone Wolf Climber. So light and flat against the back while in carry mode. Heavy clothing would have to effect the Sling?

I have a lone wolf climber and I agree it’s very comfortable with a giant platform but unless walking in open country or timber it gets hung up on brush and branches. 
I actually am selling it after only using it twice 

I don’t wear a lot of heavy bulky closes but there is plenty of adjustments to make room for bulkier clothes.

My lone wolf hasn’t been off the nail in the barn since I bought my saddle years ago.

Huh. I guess everyone is different. I can take my Wolf and run up any tree in no time flat. Carry it anywhere. Maybe because I am small framed but Wolf is so simple. I own Muddy, X Stand, Summit and Wolf climbers and the Wolf is the all around best for weight and speed for quick changes in the woods.

• Like 2

I have a lone wolf climber and I agree it’s very comfortable with a giant platform but unless walking in open country or timber it gets hung up on brush and branches. 
I actually am selling it after only using it twice 

Is it the sit and climb or the hand climber? My hand climber zips right up tight with no cables to stick out and flat across back.

• Like 1

Huh. I guess everyone is different. I can take my Wolf and run up any tree in no time flat. Carry it anywhere. Maybe because I am small framed but Wolf is so simple. I own Muddy, X Stand, Summit and Wolf climbers and the Wolf is the all around best for weight and speed for quick changes in the woods.

Yup, everyone’s different for sure. I’m not small framed @6ft 220 but I’m in pretty good shape. I can get in my saddle 22ish ft off the ground with screw ins faster than I could with a climber. With sticks it’s probably close but I would still give the edge to the saddle.

If you ever get the chance try one!

29 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

It's the weight i am trying to ditch and the option of climbing trees with branches. I am tired of looking for telephone poles that also have concealment,especially while carrying my climber on my back.

I'd kill to have a tree with branches ,70 of the 90 acres I hunt look exactly like this ,minus the old pallet hanging from the tree.

20191215_093231.jpg

Either i heard they are great or a big waste of money...  Like to know what you guys think.....  The whole thing with them is there is no magic way of getting up in the tree to hunt in it.... You still have to climb whether it is climbing sticks or screw in steps ( which are a big pain in the ass) .  If your moving around from tree to tree taking stuff down and putting stuff up gets old real quick.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

Either i heard they are great or a big waste of money...  Like to know what you guys think.....  The whole thing with them is there is no magic way of getting up in the tree to hunt in it.... You still have to climb whether it is climbing sticks or screw in steps ( which are a big pain in the ass) .  If your moving around from tree to tree taking stuff down and putting stuff up gets old real quick.  

There are also Arborists rope climbing methods. DRT and SRT. 
Everything is a pain in the ass. We hung a ladder stand this year and it took 3 guys to do so. Now that ladder stand will stay till the tree falls over or it rusts away. Have ya ever hung a stand and look out and have to be 75 yards closer ? Well get the stand down and move it that too is a pain in the ass. Believe me I’m skeptical but i can’t wait to give it a try . 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Everything is a pain in the ass. We hung a ladder stand this year and it took 3 guys to do so. Now that ladder stand will stay till the tree falls over or it rusts away. Have ya ever hung a stand and look out and have to be 75 yards closer ? Well get the stand down and move it that too is a pain in the ass. Believe me I’m skeptical but i can’t wait to give it a try . 

Everything is a pain in the ass..... That is so true.  Except a  nice ground blind in the perfect spot.  nothing like walking into a groundblind when it is 10 degrees rather than climbing tree steps covered in ice.....

1 minute ago, cbyzerman said:

Everything is a pain in the ass..... That is so true.  Except a  nice ground blind in the perfect spot.  nothing like walking into a groundblind when it is 10 degrees rather than climbing tree steps covered in ice.....

Ground blind?? I thought those were for ice fishing and turkey hunting . 
I have a ground blind and last time I tried shooting my bow out of it the arrow hit the inside. From that moment it sat in the corner of my garage next to my climber . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbyzerman said:

The whole thing with them is there is no magic way of getting up in the tree to hunt in it.... You still have to climb whether it is climbing sticks or screw in steps ( which are a big pain in the ass) .  If your moving around from tree to tree taking stuff down and putting stuff up gets old real quick.  

Edited by Steve D

2 hours ago, sodfather said:

If there is a true need to go mobile I can see the benefit of a saddle or even light hang on - like hunting massive public lands, scouting and setting up immediately on hot sign.  But for the small acreage I hunt, I can move a basic ladder solo in less time.  I had a saddle and sold it.   But you never know until you try.  

Friend here at work has one and swears by it.  But he's hunting small acreage.  And then complains about seeing bucks and not getting a shot because of the angle .....  

Once I get my hillside logged, going to invest in some ultra light climbing sticks and a light clip on stand.  I have 14 stands now and the overhead on maintenance is becoming excessive.  My stand Todo list has 8 moves planned for this year.

20 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

If there is a true need to go mobile I can see the benefit of a saddle or even light hang on - like hunting massive public lands, scouting and setting up immediately on hot sign.  But for the small acreage I hunt, I can move a basic ladder solo in less time.  I had a saddle and sold it.   But you never know until you try.  

You can move a ladder stand solo cause you can snap a mature oak tree with your hands . 
Your correct on the large public hunting hot sign . For years I’ve been wanting to do that but get complacent with the private property I hunt . 

5 minutes ago, sodfather said:

You can move a ladder stand solo cause you can snap a mature oak tree with your hands . 
Your correct on the large public hunting hot sign . For years I’ve been wanting to do that but get complacent with the private property I hunt . 

The cheap ladder stands I use don’t weigh much.  Honestly I don’t think there is much public around me that would give me better odds than private.  But you guys have a bit more that may be highly productive.   Enjoy the new found freedom.