Saddle Up

sodfather

3 hours ago, sodfather said:

Ground blind?? I thought those were for ice fishing and turkey hunting . 
I have a ground blind and last time I tried shooting my bow out of it the arrow hit the inside. From that moment it sat in the corner of my garage next to my climber . 

Ground blinds have come along way....  Some are huge. You put one elevated on like a cliff where they will not come behind and wind in your favor and they work incredible.........

• Like 1

If there is a true need to go mobile I can see the benefit of a saddle or even light hang on - like hunting massive public lands, scouting and setting up immediately on hot sign.  But for the small acreage I hunt, I can move a basic ladder solo in less time.  I had a saddle and sold it.   But you never know until you try.  

What didn’t you like about it moog? I know we’ve talked about it before how much our big feet get in the way when trying to hunt from a ladder stand. I use mine every time when I’m hunting from a ladder stand. Use the ladder tie off swing around back of tree use seat as foot rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What didn’t you like about it moog? I know we’ve talked about it before how much our big feet get in the way when trying to hunt from a ladder stand. I use mine every time when I’m hunting from a ladder stand. Use the ladder tie off swing around back of tree use seat as foot rest.

Never used it with a ladder.  Maybe I would like that.   Just the set up of sticks seemed like far more effort than dropping a ladder in place.

• Like 3

It always surprises me how different we all hunt.  No way is "right".  You would have to pay me to use a climber.  Others love them.  Some struggle putting up ladders.  Others are giants with mutant strength.  I can put up the stackable 20 foot sticks with ease and not break a sweat.  Others find them too heavy, bulky and noisy.  

I am intrigued with the saddle, but like Moog I don't feel like I need them on the small properties I hunt.  Public land would be another matter.  The price tag is off-putting for me, but if it replaced any number of other sticks and hang-ons then it would be worth it.  

Kudos to the guys willing to give a whirl.  I am interested in your experiences and the learning curve.  I have a buddy from the military who said it just took practice.  He compared it some of our training.  Think ahead, take your time, practice until you are smooth.  Fast is slow.  Slow is smooth.  Smooth is quick.  

I think if I tried it I would use Wild Edge steps and a DIY platform.  I still might if I get bored enough over the winter.  

• Like 2

One thing a saddle requires that I absolutely can not do is TAKE MY TIME. When I get to the base of that tree I simply can’t relax, lay out the saddle and sticks (or hang and hunt platform) and steadily set it up and ascend. I’m literally having a panic attack until my climber is on the tree and I get a few feet off the ground. Then I’ll sit for a few minutes if I’m sweaty and relax before finishing the ascent. In the afternoon I don’t take that break I need to be up there and ready. I wish I could shake that anxiety but I can’t. I just feel like deer are coming and I’m going to blow them out of the area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

Interesting topic , I’m in Moog’s camp, I can move a small ladder in minutes , undo straps .bend knees ,grab a rung and walk with it upright to next tree.

Although with my woods being 225 yards wide in gun I can cover the whole back with three ladders and never move them . My sticks and LW hang on I can have up and be sitting in it ,in ten minutes if need be , saddle idk if it’s for me on my small 90 acres with the same deer patterns every year .

My sits tend to be three hours or less mornings  , afternoons are an hour and a half , so I’m not up long enough to get uncomfortable .

One thing a saddle requires that I absolutely can not do is TAKE MY TIME. When I get to the base of that tree I simply can’t relax, lay out the saddle and sticks (or hang and hunt platform) and steadily set it up and ascend. I’m literally having a panic attack until my climber is on the tree and I get a few feet off the ground. Then I’ll sit for a few minutes if I’m sweaty and relax before finishing the ascent. In the afternoon I don’t take that break I need to be up there and ready. I wish I could shake that anxiety but I can’t. I just feel like deer are coming and I’m going to blow them out of the area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So I'm not the only one haha. The one thing I hate is screwing around at the base of my tree. Once I'm to my spot I want to be up in a matter of minutes, when I leave I want to be gone in a matter of minutes. I can achieve this with my climber. And noone can convince me that hanging in a saddle is more comfortable than a summit lounge seat! I have a few long distance spots on stateland that I'd rather not have to carry a climber to, so I bought a lightweight set of climbing sticks, modified them to use lone wolf's versa buttons. I used them 4 times and they've sat ever since. It took me 15 minutes and a lot more sweat than a climber does. So knowing that I don't even like to hang and hunt with climbing sticks is enough for me to not want the saddle portion either.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My mind is made up,i will order a saddle soon and my climbing method will be with a rope,double rope technique. Super light,and when i am done i can rappel down the tree , the only thing faster than that is falling out of the tree.

I am looking forward to being able to scout and set up right away where i think is a good spot. I can't seem to figure out patterns on the properties i hunt that are consistent from year to year.

• Like 1

For me I think the main issue would be 2 things, one the extra time to set up!  I also hate sitting at the bottom of a tree when I should be in it.  2nd would be my shot stance, I have enough issues with my form standing straight, I think adding additional angles would complicate getting my bubble level and shooting straight.  I also do not think I would be comfortable vs a stand.  I like to stand, stretch out and sit and most times the stand is set up to face the deer so shooting position is usually set with no need to shoot behind the stand.  

I do like the advantages of being able to move easily but I do not think I would have nearly the same comfort as any stand.  Interested in others opinions on, easy of use and setup, comfort and how well you can shoot from that position.  Technically it is a seated position, how many here shoot from a seated position?  I actually like shooting from a seated position! 

I saw a youtube video of some guys using the "double rope technique" to get up the tree with the saddle. Didn't take much time at all. Obvsly took more time than a ladder stand or maybe even a hang on, but way faster than a climber. I agree with @NFA-ADK and am concerned with shooting stance and it looks like long hours in a saddle may begin to hurt hips and maybe even knees. @bruno1 have you used one? How is it in crooked trees?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

if i was starting from scratch i'd give saddles a try especially when i had more time to hunt bigger public land. i have a Summit Openshot climber that's light enough and with few enough moving parts that i'm not switching at the moment.

I absolutely loved my Open Shot but a couple years ago I sort of lost my nerve with it and have to have that bar in front of me, so I switched to a Viper

After watching the hunting public guys and at first questioning how and why they use a saddle for bow hunting I thought I’d purchase one and give it a try for the 2020 season. It’s definitely going to take some practice and getting use to but I’m just tired of hanging my stands in the preseason and finding out they need to be elsewhere and being to lazy to move them making a ton of noise. I went with the Tethrd saddle and kit , not sure what climbing method I will use. I’ve been talking with [mention=6654]BowmanMike[/mention]and he’s planning on giving it a try this year. Anybody else have one or has hunted out of one let me know what ya think. 
0C9D6EC8-F851-4B89-9214-AC71F522D858.thumb.jpeg.d2e7a5f83340b359f7ef37a6b21ecbc0.jpeg

Hey you coming to the next GTG? Bring that along and I’ll bring my climber...we can have races up the telephone poles outside of the watering holes!!!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I absolutely loved my Open Shot but a couple years ago I sort of lost my nerve with it and have to have that bar in front of me, so I switched to a Viper

noticeable difference with tree lean and perceived platform size. i almost always seem to shoot standing but intentionally got the open shot as it didn't have the bar. climbing wise to me a bar the is a false sense of security.

12 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I saw a youtube video of some guys using the "double rope technique" to get up the tree with the saddle. Didn't take much time at all. Obvsly took more time than a ladder stand or maybe even a hang on, but way faster than a climber. I agree with @NFA-ADK and am concerned with shooting stance and it looks like long hours in a saddle may begin to hurt hips and maybe even knees. @bruno1 have you used one? How is it in crooked trees?

I don’t use a saddle but I know quite a few people who do and they all swear by them. I use a LW Assault with Beast Sticks and love that setup. Takes me literally a few minutes to run my sticks up and hang my stand. To me it’s all about the linesman’s belt. I built my own it it makes hanging sticks and stand really easy

• Like 2

On 12/26/2019 at 8:11 PM, bruno1 said:

I don’t use a saddle but I know quite a few people who do and they all swear by them. I use a LW Assault with Beast Sticks and love that setup. Takes me literally a few minutes to run my sticks up and hang my stand. To me it’s all about the linesman’s belt. I built my own it it makes hanging sticks and stand really easy

I have the LW assault also just with the LW sticks they snap to the stand nicely . I like that set up also and the stand is very comfy. 

20 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I have the LW assault also just with the LW sticks they snap to the stand nicely . I like that set up also and the stand is very comfy. 

I went back to my LW Sticks and gonna modify them to double steps instead of the single steps on the stick. The top step of each stick will be double to make it easier to hang the next stick and stand

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, bruno1 said:

I have not really used a linesman belt.  That could make a big difference in ease of hanging.

• Like 2