Saddle Up

sodfather

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I dont use the term "game changer" nearly enough and its certainly applicable here! It literally take half the work and frustration out of it, not to mention the danger

I might even own one if I can remember where I put it.  lol  Still easier to toss up a ladder though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Whats false about it?

nothing unless you're an individual i know that sat on it to climb without a harness and ended up falling off the back with his stand high enough out of reach. another had an older stand with knobs hold it into place. they don't do much good unless you tighten them though. i just don't want the weight or contact with the bottom portions of my bow is all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dbHunterNY said:

idk how you can hang a stand set without a lineman's belt unless you're a monkey or have a death wish.

I can assure you it can be done.  lol  I ain't a monkey so ……   But I really don't ever use them  Hung it a couple of times.  This year, culver hung it when we wanted a new location set quick and he used a linesman belt.

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You tie a rope to each stick and work up or climb down to grab the next stick?

I bought paracord 550 and made 2 separate loops. I connect those to the 2 loops on your safety harness. Now I’ll have a loop on each side that I connect a stick to. This way allows me to bring 4 sticks. First 2 I set from the ground and as I climb the other 2 are hanging on my hips. I can take a pic of setup when I get a chance 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

I can assure you it can be done.  lol  I ain't a monkey so ……   But I really don't ever use them  Hung it a couple of times.  This year, culver hung it when we wanted a new location set quick and he used a linesman belt.

i know i used to do it when i first started using hangon stands. now after being used to the security of a lineman's belt i've tried it before. i can only imagine i looked like someone with a death grip on the tree and the fire department would have to be called to get me down. same would probably go for being in a stand without a harness. i couldn't go back to the old habits.

• Like 1

If you have lineman's loops on your harness and two climbing carabiners, the belt can be made for around $20  with rope from Home Depot. Get a 10ft piece of 5/8" rope and a second piece of 5/8" rope 3.5-4ft long. Tie an overhand knot on one side of the long rope, leaving a good 4-6" loop, with a figure 8 at the other. Use the short piece to make a prussic knot. Connect to your harness with the carabiners. 

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i know i used to do it when i first started using hangon stands. now after being used to the security of a lineman's belt i've tried it before. i can only imagine i looked like someone with a death grip on the tree and the fire department would have to be called to get me down. same would probably go for being in a stand without a harness. i couldn't go back to the old habits.

Definitely hugged the tree while trying to work hands around it while hanging.   Will neither admit nor deny whether I use a harness (but don't hunt many hang ons either).    I should use one and have to start so that my daughter learns good safety practices.  I will admit that I hate being tethered to a tree when trying to move around for a shot, especially with the longer trad bows.  Probably have a false sense of security in the shorter ladders I use.

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Definitely hugged the tree while trying to work hands around it while hanging.   Will neither admit nor deny whether I use a harness (but don't hunt many hang ons either).    I should use one and have to start so that my daughter learns good safety practices.  I will admit that I hate being tethered to a tree when trying to move around for a shot, especially with the longer trad bows.  Probably have a false sense of security in the shorter ladders I use.

Statistically, more ppl die from a 14ft fall than a 40ft fall. Get a harness, if not for you, for your kids. OSHA requires a PFAS for any fall risk greater than 6ft. Just sayin...

13 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Statistically, more ppl die from a 14ft fall than a 40ft fall. Get a harness, if not for you, for your kids. OSHA requires a PFAS for any fall risk greater than 6ft. Just sayin...

Not disagreeing with you.  I won't comment on the statistics because its only smart to use a harness. 

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Not disagreeing with you.  I won't comment on the statistics because its only smart to use a harness. 

Statistically speaking...more ppl fall form 14ft than from 40ft lol. I never used to like being tethered either, until I climbed a smooth bark tree on a windy day and thought to myself I must be dumb, stupid and crazy. Now I feel naked without it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

my archery deer got taken with my 39" A-A 3D bow this year. shorter but i wouldn't use a harness if i didn't use a rope style tree strap with a prusik knot to give me some length and freedom. i've used my first 60" recurve on rare occasion with that setup just fine. shorter is better if you fall and it has to stop you but longer than ideal is better than nothing at all. we've got a few cheap 15' ladders. they seem like the ground is right there versus 20+' high hangon stands. it's more than just "right there" though. lol

2 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Yea I can only imagine what it would feel like falling from 14' 

A few years back. I was standing on the top of a 6' step ladder(I know , right on top of the words DON'T STEP HERE). somehow I landed on the ground on my back. Damn! That hurt. I was sore for a few days seemed to hurt more now in my late 40s than when I was younger.. 

I do wear fall protection most of the time while in a tree now. Still not 100% of the time but I'm working on it..

nothing unless you're an individual i know that sat on it to climb without a harness and ended up falling off the back with his stand high enough out of reach. another had an older stand with knobs hold it into place. they don't do much good unless you tighten them though. i just don't want the weight or contact with the bottom portions of my bow is all.

Full connect all the way up and down for me. When I set up the bar is very low so not in the way. I loved the open shot but like I said I just lost my nerve with the platform being so small and no bar. I may try and get back to using it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro