First finished mount from the past season

WNY Bowhunter

7 hours ago, airedale said:

He is a nice one and looks great, I see he has a hole on the end of one of his beams, I took a Buck with a similar hole and have seen a couple of others with that abnormality, anyone got a idea on how those holes would come about?

Al

The first one that I had mounted has a similar hole.  It would have been a perfectly symmetric 10-point,  but the end of the left side beam was missing.  In it's place, was that smooth hole, making it a 9-point with some character.   My uncle was the taxidermist at the city science museum at the time.  He mounted it for me as a "side-job" and said that the hole was caused by a fly when the buck was in velvet.  Personally, those have always been my favorite type of whitetail racks - mostly typical but with some character.   When they are too perfect, they look fake to me.   The "holy-9" is still my favorite rack of all the bucks that I have killed.        

• Like 1

The first one that I had mounted has a similar hole.  It would have been a perfectly symmetric 10-point,  but the end of the left side beam was missing.  In it's place, was that smooth hole, making it a 9-point with some character.   My uncle was the taxidermist at the city science museum at the time.  He mounted it for me as a "side-job" and said that the hole was caused by a fly when the buck was in velvet.  Personally, those have always been my favorite type of whitetail racks - mostly typical but with some character.   When they are too perfect, they look fake to me.   The "holy-9" is still my favorite rack of all the bucks that I have killed.        
Don't go on lying now Wolc. No need to be humble here we all know you shot it and that was the bullet hole then it travelled down it's antler into a perfect brain shot wasting zero meat

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

There was a thread about this topic on here a couple weeks ago. I believe that these holes are caused by injuries to the antler in velvet such as a stick poking into it...

https://www.realtree.com/all/articles/antler-trivia

11 minutes ago, airedale said:

He sounds like a nice one, for you the name would not be anything else but the "HOLY 9".:wink:

Any pics?

Below is my Holy 8 with a deep hole on the right beam which is quite deep.

2019-12-26_093311.png

Cool snow accents. I've always wanted to do one.

11 hours ago, airedale said:

He sounds like a nice one, for you the name would not be anything else but the "HOLY 9".:wink:

Any pics?

I like your "Holy 8"

The second picture is my "Holy 9", next to a small but perfectly symmetric 10-point, that I killed a few years later.    I only had that 10-point mounted because it has the most points of any buck that I have killed.   The non-typical 12-point, in the first picture, was a road-kill. A friend on the town highway department crew got for me, when it was struck around the corner from our place.   The 7-pointer next to it was my first bow-kill.   The little 6-point, in the last picture was one that I mounted myself, using a cape that a buddy gave me, and it was my first antlered buck.    My first Adirondack buck was a perfectly symmetric 8-point, and that shoulder mount resides at my in-laws retirement home, on the land where I killed it.   

By pure coincidence, I now have shoulder mounts with 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12 points.   Unless it is nicer (to me) than the "Holy-9", with the possible exception of an 11-pointer, any buck that I kill from here on out is likely to end up as a euro.   Those are free, and take me under an hour to do with the power-washer.  Those that I have killed since 2015 are all in the last picture.   The top 8-point, from this season, might have a higher B&C net score than the "Holy-9", but was too symmetric, "fake-looking", and redundant for me to have gotten a shoulder mount.    

7-point & 12-point.jpeg

9-point & 10-point.jpeg

euros and 6-point.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I like your "Holy 8"

The second picture is my "Holy 9", next to a small but perfectly symmetric 10-point, that I killed a few years later.    I only had that 10-point mounted because it has the most points of any buck that I have killed.   The non-typical 12-point, in the first picture, was a road-kill. A friend on the town highway department crew got for me, when it was struck around the corner from our place.   The 7-pointer next to it was my first bow-kill.   The little 6-point, in the last picture was one that I mounted myself, using a cape that a buddy gave me, and it was my first antlered buck.    My first Adirondack buck was a perfectly symmetric 8-point, and that shoulder mount resides at my in-laws retirement home, on the land where I killed it.   

By pure coincidence, I now have shoulder mounts with 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12 points.   Unless it is nicer (to me) than the "Holy-9", with the possible exception of an 11-pointer, any buck that I kill from here on out is likely to end up as a euro.   Those are free, and take me under an hour to do with the power-washer.  Those that I have killed since 2015 are all in the last picture.   The top 8-point, from this season, might have a higher B&C net score than the "Holy-9", but was too symmetric, "fake-looking", and redundant for me to have gotten a shoulder mount.    

1065661471_7-point12-point.thumb.jpeg.a388bbe4261af5cdf335c9e5f505e5e8.jpeg

11865314_9-point10-point.thumb.jpeg.30592b4e936df5329a3e590f795c6389.jpeg

2125098720_eurosand6-point.thumb.jpeg.9c29d9a412f014df0dea2181ad7871a8.jpeg

You son of a gun. Despite your reputation for taking button bucks you certainly have a quality collection of bucks on the wall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1