New to New York

Deleted Account

Hi Everyone! 

I'm semi-new to New York State, and am from Ballston Spa (near Saratoga Springs). My wife and I moved up here in 2014 from Southern Illinois, and I haven't hunted at all since we moved to New York. I've got the bug again, and am excited to start hunting again in 2020. Obviously it's quite a shift from what I'm used to in Illinois, but I'm looking forward to learning not only strategies for hunting in NYS, but also about the NYS hunting regulations. 

I am a 4-H Educator with Cornell Cooperative Extension, and am a 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor in the Shotgun and Rifle disciplines (and am getting Muzzleloader certified in February). I have a lot of 4-H Volunteers that I work with in our Shooting Sports program who will be a lot of help in getting me pointed in the right direction as I begin hunting New York, and I've already gained some valuable information by lurking on the forum for a little bit. 

Happy Holidays Everyone!

• Like 5

Welcome, 

I live just off Geyser Rd so we can't be more than a few minutes from eachother….Where in Bspa do you live? 

I was going to say sorry that you moved to NY with our ridiculous politics but I don't think Illinois is much better. My wife travels to Bloomington for work all the time. She will be back there week after next. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Welcome, 

I live just off Geyser Rd so we can't be more than a few minutes from eachother….Where in Bspa do you live? 

I was going to say sorry that you moved to NY with our ridiculous politics but I don't think Illinois is much better. My wife travels to Bloomington for work all the time. She will be back there week after next. 

Awesome, I actually live in Milton, just off of Rowland by Woods Hollow Preserve, so we're practically neighbors. Hey, if you are ever interested in 4-H Shooting Sports, hit me up, we have a training coming up in February at the 4-H Training Center on Middleline (shameless plug).

Politics are what they are, I guess you just do what you can and get used to them. Illinois had some weird laws, but I never let them get in the way of an enjoyable time outdoors :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Welcome. FYI, things get a bit slow and, err, interesting, in the offseason on the forum. Your good questions will help keep things on track. Will you be hunting on public land?

Right now, Public Land is what I'm looking at, unless I can get hooked up with some private land. I've never hunted public land, so that's a new one for me to. I guess knowing all of the farmers back home and marrying into a family that farms 9000 acres kind of spoiled me when it comes to hunting ground :)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Atta boy!!! Good to have you here’

Now wtf is a splitear_leland?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first deer was a 20" wide 9 pointer. He had obviously caught his ear between his and another deer's antlers, and had a split down the length of his ear. Fortunately the taxidermist I used was able to save the "split" so it made for a cool mount. Ever since then I've used the "Splitear" handle on forums. Leland is my name, so, there you go :)

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

Right now, Public Land is what I'm looking at, unless I can get hooked up with some private land. I've never hunted public land, so that's a new one for me to. I guess knowing all of the farmers back home and marrying into a family that farms 9000 acres kind of spoiled me when it comes to hunting ground :)

9000 Acres and moving away from it??? I don’t think I want to know the story . 
Welcome aboard good luck with 2020 season 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Splitear_Leland said:

Awesome, I actually live in Milton, just off of Rowland by Woods Hollow Preserve, so we're practically neighbors. Hey, if you are ever interested in 4-H Shooting Sports, hit me up, we have a training coming up in February at the 4-H Training Center on Middleline (shameless plug).

Politics are what they are, I guess you just do what you can and get used to them. Illinois had some weird laws, but I never let them get in the way of an enjoyable time outdoors :)

Yup, we are practically neighbors. I walk my dog in that Nature Preserve all the time. It is literally right around the corner. My house is actually right behind Ballston Spa National Bank on Roland Street but to get out of my neighborhood I have to go too Geyser Rd. 

I know nothing about the 4-H Shooting sports but I am always interested in shooting. I certainly wouldn't mind hearing about what it has to offer. 

Maybe after the Holidays we can grab a beer, or coffee. I would love to hear about hunting in IL. You know we think there is a Giant buck hidden behind every tree in those western states.