leaving stands on public land?

goosifer

Forgive me if this has been addressed in the past. Given the key words, it's difficult to search.

What is the deal with leaving stands on public land? (ladder stand, climber stand, hang on, etc.) What are the technical rules? What is done in practice? Are there different rules for state land vs. federal forest, et al? I thought that in general, it is not  allowed, but I also remember reading something about a stand has to have your name or tag number written on it. Just curious. Suppose addressing this issue would be helpful for people new to hunting on public land.

Wow, it has gotten a lot harder to find this information on the DEC website! I believe the below is what you are looking for.   

Remember, it is unlawful to:

• Cut or injure trees (including construction of permanent tree stands, construction of natural blinds, clearing of shooting lanes around portable stands, placement of nails or other hardware into trees, or use of live trees as targets while sighting-in firearms).

• Store personal property. Tree stands or hunting blinds that do not injure a tree, and are properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting license number, may be placed during the appropriate hunting season, but must be removed within 30 days of the end of the season.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/19maps.pdf

Edited by monahmat
  • Like 4

So from my research if it is a Wildlife Management Area you need to carry in/carry out every sit.  If it is State Forest you can leave it in place but it has to be labeled and out after the season.  I hear of a lot of theft off State Land and most people avoid this buy hanging the stand and taking the bottom sticks out or using a climber.  The other option is leaving quick hang brackets in trees and taking the stand out with you.  I'm not familiar with Federal land so I will let someone else chime in there.  I'm curious about that as well..

Good topic,i just found a hang on stand with no sticks below on public land by me. There is a lock on the stand,so it is pretty safe to assume that stand is left until next season. It is in a good looking spot too,i saw a bunch of tracks there scouting. No rubs though,so maybe not a good spot for bucks. It is very close to the road as well.

some public property that isn't state owned and controlled might be different. have to read up on their rules before you hunt there. for the sake of not getting your stand and gear stolen, as well as tipping people off to your hunting spot, i don't leave anything ever.

A lot of times forest rangers will go in after the season and cut down any stands left after the 30 days.  Hunters have until Jan. 17th this year to be within the 30 days.  A couple years ago I was geocaching on state land in April and came across 2 brand new Ameristep stands deep in the woods that rangers had cut down but didn't want to hump out.  I humped those stands out!  2 stands, 2 sets of sticks for free!  Most fruitful geoaching trip I've ever had.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, monahmat said:

Wow, it has gotten a lot hard to find this information on the DEC website! I believe the below is what you are looking for.   

This is what the rules are on the public state park land, that borders our property. Good find!

But leaving any stand on public land, risks someone stealing it! We have had a couple ladder stands stolen from from our property. So not only were the scumbags trespassers, they were thieves as well! A climber, or hang on, carried in and out with you, is in my opinion the best option.

17 minutes ago, monahmat said:

A lot of times forest rangers will go in after the season and cut down any stands left after the 30 days.  Hunters have until Jan. 17th this year to be within the 30 days.  A couple years ago I was geocaching on state land in April and came across 2 brand new Ameristep stands deep in the woods that rangers had cut down but didn't want to hump out.  I humped those stands out!  2 stands, 2 sets of sticks for free!  Most fruitful geoaching trip I've ever had.

Umm. How do you know it was rangers? And how do you know someone(Ranger OR Owner) wasn't making several trips to carry all of the gear out of the woods? 

5 minutes ago, DTG3k said:

Umm. How do you know it was rangers? And how do you know someone(Ranger OR Owner) wasn't making several trips to carry all of the gear out of the woods? 

It may not have been rangers but I can't think of anyone else going through the trouble of cutting them down and then leaving them there.  Like I said, it was April, the stands weren't labeled per guideline and I was the only person in the parking area.  They were up for grabs. 

Edited by monahmat
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, monahmat said:

It may not have been rangers but I can't think of anyone else going through the trouble of cutting them down and then leaving them there.  Like I said, it was April, the stands weren't labeled per guideline and I was the only person in the parking area.  They were up for grabs. 

LOL. Sounds like someone was putting up some stands for a little turkey season bow hunting, went home because they forgot some tools, and while they were gone someone stole their stands. Ehh well, should have labeled i guess. 

So when you say CUT down you are saying chains/Strap's cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

So when you say CUT down you are saying chains/Strap's cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One was cut chain with lock.  The other was a strap and I don't recall if it was cut or not.  It was a cam buckle that I replaced with ratchet strap.  These were obviously deer setups left behind from the prior year and had been laying on the ground a while.  

I have left a couple ladder stands in discreet locations for many years, which is a gamble. It is county land, and the foresters are NOT fond of stands, and may (rightfully) take them down. The area where my stands are is slated to be logged this winter, and my trees are conspicuously marked for cutting. This week end I will be getting out there to remove them.