Anyone Using a Shotgun?

Deleted Account

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

BRI........a blast from the past.   Don’t tempt me to dig out some slugs!!

Larry..Back in the early 1990's they were state of the art....   Hey wait a minute..Oh Crap...That was nearly 30 years ago...

I guess I better go put my teeth in a jar and go to bed....

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Those grouped well? Id like to try something with the smoothbore

Yes they did ... best thing out of mine . Probably 3 inches at 75 yds.  Never shot farther than that  on paper . That's with 18 inch barrel.  2and 3/4 inch shells . My uncle still shoots 3 inch ko out of his 1187 smooth bore.

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Larry..Back in the early 1990's they were state of the art....   Hey wait a minute..Oh Crap...That was nearly 30 years ago...

I guess I better go put my teeth in a jar and go to bed....

I started using them in 1985 I believe. What I’m sure of is that I killed a nice 8pt in 1986 with the “broken” off BRI pictured on the right.  The left is an original BRI from their factory ammo.  (Pre-Winchester days) 

The recovered bullet came from the off side shoulder of the buck. 

image.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

I have an older Savage 212 bolt action rifled slug gun.  It's a 12 gauge in camo with a Nikon 2x7 scope on it.  I use it in shotgun only areas, but haven't been to one in a couple of years.  it's very accurate and has a good trigger, but it has quite a bit of felt recoil, unless you're shooting it at a nice deer or bear.  It takes 3" mag ammo too, which I use infrequently.  Never seemed to need it.  Many deer and one 300 lb black bear have been killed with it.

It likes Lightfield Hybred Sabots the best.

Edited by Rattler

My shotgun is still my go to gun for deer hunting and most of the people around me feel the same.  Getting a shot over a 100 yards in our hardwoods would be a miracle.  I collect WWI rifles and have quite a few.  The most accurate is the Swiss K31 but the Springfield isn't bad either.  The Swiss have a long heritage of shooting and in WWII it was armed neutrality.  Nobody just waltz across the border.  Their guns are amazing and shoot MOA.  If you follow results at Camp Perry you will see them there.

I have taken a Swiss hunting but I always wonder if the 30 cal bullet (Technically 7.5 x 55 mm but hand-loading 30 cal works just fine) it shoots would be deflected by the smallest of twigs.  I also fear the travel distance of the round as compared to a slug.  Gravity would make both drop at same rate but the speed of rifle round would make it travel further. 

In either case I had to hunt with a shotgun for many years and I'm quite comfortable with either my Rem 870 12 gauge or my Mossy 500 in 20 gauge.  I never received a complaint from the deer they have taken and they look just fine next to the potatoes.

Your shotgun slugs will also be affected by the smallest of twigs...

Hunt with whatever you feel confidence with,  but don't leave the Swiss or the Springfield at home just because you think they may deflect more easily than the slug gun....Just ain't so..They all deflect if they hit anything of any substance...

• Like 1

Down here the island was always shotgun only but you can use a ML now. Never made the switch to ML because, as mentioned before, my Savage 220 is amazing. 1-1/4" groups at 100yds. Accurate, great trigger. Less recoil than the 212 but almost identical kinetic energy. I have a 3-9x40 on it and love this setup. Shotgun opens here on Sunday (1/5/20) very much looking forward to it. 

still use my browning gold edition 12 gauge when i hunt monroe or onondaga. But man do I love how light my rifle is for wayne county. I really dont have a shot past 100 where I need the distance of the rifle, but appreciate it's power and weight. Funny enough in Tully valley is where I test the limitations of my shotgun and could use the rifle the most, if not for range but hiking up that damn valley lol

Pygmy

Don't you think the mass of a sabot or slug would deflect less than a rifle bullet? 

Don't get me wrong here, I don't try to shoot through trees and branches but hunting my hardwoods you have to accept you aren't going to see everything in a scope.  There's no fields here.  I'm deep woods.

Might be an interesting physics lab project.  I went to college in 70's  I bet I could have talked my professor into this one.  Mass x Acceleration = Force is basic equation.  While the shotgun slug moves slower it has greater mass and more propellent to move it. 

I had my bow with me in my dorm room as getting to places to hunt and practice were fairly near by.  Good luck with that today.  That would be a lock down.

20 hours ago, hueyjazz said:

Pygmy

Don't you think the mass of a sabot or slug would deflect less than a rifle bullet? 

Don't get me wrong here, I don't try to shoot through trees and branches but hunting my hardwoods you have to accept you aren't going to see everything in a scope.  There's no fields here.  I'm deep woods.

Might be an interesting physics lab project.  I went to college in 70's  I bet I could have talked my professor into this one.  Mass x Acceleration = Force is basic equation.  While the shotgun slug moves slower it has greater mass and more propellent to move it. 

I had my bow with me in my dorm room as getting to places to hunt and practice were fairly near by.  Good luck with that today.  That would be a lock down.

I remember reading articles about deflection testing years ago..They set up grids of wooden dowels  and shot through it at targets at varying ranges with many different projectiles, including shotgun slugs and heavy bullets in a 45/70....

The results as I remember it indicated that unless the target was  VERY close to the  grid,  ALL of the projectiles deflected enough to cause  a miss or a bad hit...There didn't seem to be any evidence that heavy, slow moving projectiles deflected any less or any more than lighter, faster projectiles...

I'm not sure how scientific these tests were, but the moral of the story was that it is much better to find an opening in the brush than to try to plow through it, regardless of what you are shooting..

• Like 5

On 1/3/2020 at 8:10 AM, squirrelwhisperer said:

Down here the island was always shotgun only but you can use a ML now. Never made the switch to ML because, as mentioned before, my Savage 220 is amazing. 1-1/4" groups at 100yds. Accurate, great trigger. Less recoil than the 212 but almost identical kinetic energy. I have a 3-9x40 on it and love this setup. Shotgun opens here on Sunday (1/5/20) very much looking forward to it. 

How was your opener, did you connect?

On 12/27/2019 at 6:10 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Gawd I killed truck loads of deer with the shotgun and hopefully never will again. :)

That said, I'm hesitate to sell the Ithaca Model 87 DSII (I think that's the name?) in case I'm ever relegated to hunting Erie County full time.  Part time my ML'r shines........

I don't recall but could check the last time I used the shotgun.  Seems I looked it up recently, 2003 or 2004?I still have to pinch myself each year when I realize I'm carrying a GD centerfire rifle in Ontario and Livingston Counties!!!!

you never know when you might end up in Erie, Ononondaga, Monroe or the others. Always good to have it on hand unless you're really strapped for cash.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 9:35 AM, Rattler said:

A good video on Lightfield sabot slugs.  It explains why they work so well.

http://www.litfld.com/news-resources/news/lightfield-unveils-new-video-explaining-sabot-slug-technology/

all i ever used to hunt with and switched to hornady's 2 years ago. The litfields are harder to find now and pretty pricey. I love how heavy they are though. I get better range at a distance with the hornadys, but the knock down isn't as good at the litefileds. 

On 1/5/2020 at 11:46 AM, Pygmy said:

I remember reading articles about deflection testing years ago..

I'm pretty sure that all the deflection testing and other testing is what gave us the centerfire rifle season in all these Western New York deer counties.  They proved definitively that the CF rifle would ricochet/deflect LESS than a rifled punkin' ball would.

THANK YOU JESUS!!

:)

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

I'm pretty sure that all the deflection testing and other testing is what gave us the centerfire rifle season in all these Western New York deer counties.  They proved definitively that the CF rifle would ricochet/deflect LESS than a rifled punkin' ball would.

THANK YOU JESUS!!

:)

You are WELCOME my son.....

• Haha 1