Frank's Gun Shop???

grampy

2 minutes ago, sbuff said:

New place is much bigger ...glad it worked out for you . I may take a ride to zacks tomorrow just to browse and see about getting that encore transferred in .

When you think about it us capital region guys actually have a few different choices which is nice .

Steve 

Very true Steve, and it's good to have some choices. But no Cabelas or Bass Pro close by, like there is west of here. Or my favorite, Kittery Trading Post, that has unmatched gun selection, and supplies. But these smaller places by us, can and do give a more personal service.

Let us know how that Encore works out for ya! My hunting partner has one and loves it! Will definitely take a ride over to Zack's too! I get up that way now and then.

Yep, so for once my family wasn't FOS. LOL.

Only been out that way a few times over the past 5 years, but that traffic circle on the 29-30 Junction is a nightmare.

Glad you had a good experience.

Also, thank you for making me think about some good times from yesteryear buying a gun or two.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2019 at 7:42 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

If they don’t have what you’re after or if it’s closer to you smitty’s in Schatichoke usually has a bunch of powder and reloading stuff, and if you’re that way you might as well to go to beectofts gun shop as well. Between the 2 of them they’ll have the reloading stuff you need more than likely.

19386a291618c7e015e86e2580fcb8db.jpgdd678dd39ad904d16b041b644d848122.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

these shops are where i've gone. if they don't have it they can order it too.

On 12/27/2019 at 6:56 PM, grampy said:

Yes, I go to the Gunsmoke store in Rotterdam. Good guys there. And very knowledgeable. Prices are reasonable too. But they don't carry much for reloading supplies.

Will definitely stop in to check out Zack's too, next time I'm up that way. Thanks!

Grampy, if you ever make it to Zacks, stop by the Sunoco station down the Road. I run the store and will buy you a cup of coffee!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/10/2020 at 3:38 PM, dbHunterNY said:

these shops are where i've gone. if they don't have it they can order it too.

Beecrofts is funny, they have the most random stuff. They had a gempro sitting on the shelf. The scales have been discontinued for a number of years.

Then pre safe act they had a camo sr25 Wich I also haddent seen on a self.

I used to go to Frank's alot. I order in bulk for reloading mostly now.

The Mrs enjoys shopping trips there so we still visit just not every other week like we used to.

33 minutes ago, Modern hillbilly said:

Beecrofts is funny, they have the most random stuff. They had a gempro sitting on the shelf. The scales have been discontinued for a number of years.

Then pre safe act they had a camo sr25 Wich I also haddent seen on a self.

I used to go to Frank's alot. I order in bulk for reloading mostly now.

The Mrs enjoys shopping trips there so we still visit just not every other week like we used to.

they have a lot of loyal customers that sell and trade in stuff. it's like a flee market sometimes. never know what you'll find versus bigger stores that move a large qty of each item.

they have a lot of loyal customers that sell and trade in stuff. it's like a flee market sometimes. never know what you'll find versus bigger stores that move a large qty of each item.

I used to haunt them very frequently. Been meaning to get back for some time. Dave and his guys are great. Dave has always been fair to me, even when I was a young whippersnapper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Just wondering if any of you capital region guys know of anyone with a decent reloading supply, during the shortages we are now facing? Looking for small rifle primers, a 223 die set, bullets and powder for this caliber. Also would like to restock stuff for 270, 7mm-08, and 30-06. Seems like reloading supplies are about as scarce as ammunition at this time. And doesn't look like it will be improving any time soon. I'm just trying to keep ahead of things at this point. And prefer my handloads to factory ammo for our hunting rifles.

Just about everything is out of stock everywhere. Private sellers are buying the stuff up and selling it at way jacked up prices. Just like the last .22lr 'shortage'. You might want to think about trying places like GunBroker or the like and have the stuff shipped if you can find it within reason.

My wife wanted an AR and the one she wanted was $449 brand new. We found one place that had a used one and wanted $1200, we walked out. I realize that in this market it's getting to be the nature of the beast, but that doesn't mean I have to feed the beast.

22 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Just about everything is out of stock everywhere. Private sellers are buying the stuff up and selling it at way jacked up prices. Just like the last .22lr 'shortage'. You might want to think about trying places like GunBroker or the like and have the stuff shipped if you can find it within reason.

My wife wanted an AR and the one she wanted was $449 brand new. We found one place that had a used one and wanted $1200, we walked out. I realize that in this market it's getting to be the nature of the beast, but that doesn't mean I have to feed the beast.

You are right about the shortages Rob. And I'll look up some online places to see what I can find? Just want to shoot! And be able to keep up my inventory reloading what I use up.

Was the AR your Mrs liked an American Tactical Omni, by any chance? I bought one a little over a year ago for about $500. I do like it a lot. Shoots great. But not $1200 great!!!

On 3/27/2021 at 9:41 AM, grampy said:

Just wondering if any of you capital region guys know of anyone with a decent reloading supply, during the shortages we are now facing? Looking for small rifle primers, a 223 die set, bullets and powder for this caliber. Also would like to restock stuff for 270, 7mm-08, and 30-06. Seems like reloading supplies are about as scarce as ammunition at this time. And doesn't look like it will be improving any time soon. I'm just trying to keep ahead of things at this point. And prefer my handloads to factory ammo for our hunting rifles.

Go to midway, there's 30 different 308 bullets in stock for an 06. Including some 165gr ttsx. Ain't cheap plinking load, but they are right up there at the top for hunting and a perfect match for that cartridge. Plenty hornady and Nosler choices there too. 

Put email in for stuff that's ok to backorder, I got everything from there to roll rounds for next trip. It took a spell, like a couple of months, but it all came.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, grampy said:

You are right about the shortages Rob. And I'll look up some online places to see what I can find? Just want to shoot! And be able to keep up my inventory reloading what I use up.

Was the AR your Mrs liked an American Tactical Omni, by any chance? I bought one a little over a year ago for about $500. I do like it a lot. Shoots great. But not $1200 great!!!

No, it was DPMS. The base Oracle. She changed her mind for now. It just put a bad taste in my mouth. A lot of the local gun shops have made me rethink where I spend my money. I made some calls prior and was treated pretty rudely by 4 of them, it's just getting old real fast the way some shops were a year ago to how they treat costumers now.

I always forget about Midway that @Dinsdale mentions below. Always pretty fair prices and solid CS.

34 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Go to midway, there's 30 different 308 bullets in stock for an 06. Including some 165gr ttsx. Ain't cheap plinking load, but they are right up there at the top for hunting and a perfect match for that cartridge. Plenty hornady and Nosler choices there too. 

Put email in for stuff that's ok to backorder, I got everything from there to roll rounds for next trip. It took a spell, like a couple of months, but it all came.

57 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Thank you my friend, you're advice is always appreciated, and spot on.

20 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

No, it was DPMS. The base Oracle. She changed her mind for now. It just put a bad taste in my mouth. A lot of the local gun shops have made me rethink where I spend my money. I made some calls prior and was treated pretty rudely by 4 of them, it's just getting old real fast the way some shops were a year ago to how they treat costumers now.

I always forget about Midway that @Dinsdale mentions below. Always pretty fair prices and solid CS.

Perhaps it's the Rona getting to people, IDK??

But it's not just happening in gun shops.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

They will not ship to any zip code that is even remotely close to or part of NYC. But they will ship to most of Upstate.

Midway wont ship loaded ammo anywhere in NY.

But they will ship components being discussed here.