12/27 teaming up with treeguy

45 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Get on the gun

I won't have time, just shoot it

GET ON THE GUN

I have to drop all this crap, just shoot it

GET ON THE GUN

Fumbles...noises...tripod...thermal on...gun up....

Where is he, I don't see him

Right in front of us...

Squeek, squeek.

BOOM

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

PERFECT....ish!!!!!  

• Like 2

One major thing with predator hunting, is getting set up before you start calling.

Getting set up in daylight is a breeze compared to nighttime and rushing at night makes it almost impossible and is super frustrating, especially when you miss.

Situations like what you had is why I hunt alone 90% of the time.

Rushing and trying to get the kill recorded has taught some dogs and me a lesson.

Buy extra batteries for your NV gear and turn them on before you head out into the field, especially when it's colder outside.

I put my XQ50 on standby, so it's ready to go with a push of a button.

I have shuttered eye guards on everything else to minimize light exposure.

Get a QD rear monopod for your rifle and that'll steady your shot's on the tripod.

You might think your steady, but the recorded media doesn't lie.

Nice work otherwise and it'll only get better with more time in the field to hone your skills.

SJC

One major thing with predator hunting, is getting set up before you start calling.
Getting set up in daylight is a breeze compared to nighttime and rushing at night makes it almost impossible and is super frustrating, especially when you miss.
Situations like what you had is why I hunt alone 90% of the time.
Rushing and trying to get the kill recorded has taught some dogs and me a lesson.
Buy extra batteries for your NV gear and turn them on before you head out into the field, especially when it's colder outside.
I put my XQ50 on standby, so it's ready to go with a push of a button.
I have shuttered eye guards on everything else to minimize light exposure.
Get a QD rear monopod for your rifle and that'll steady your shot's on the tripod.
You might think your steady, but the recorded media doesn't lie.
Nice work otherwise and it'll only get better with more time in the field to hone your skills.
SJC
Lol. Maybe you should have been there....

• Like 1

What do you think of 6.5 creedmoor with 95 grain would do to fox/coyote 
Kill it for sure....

Prob not fur friendly but that round is got some FPS so it may not do awful thing. I've shot a few with a 6mm rem and with 308, both 95grain. Most had a gaping exit hole, some had a giant gaping exit hole, some stayed where they fell.

• Like 1

"superformance varmit" soft tip. I'm not certain what Moog shoots, but the fox was rough and the coyote we couldn't even find an entrance or exit. Both were DRT

Looks like the superformance varmit use the vmax too! Debating whether to go 55 grain VMAX or go 60 grainers

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On 12/28/2019 at 9:10 PM, TreeGuy said:

Get on the gun

I won't have time, just shoot it

GET ON THE GUN

I have to drop all this crap, just shoot it

GET ON THE GUN

Fumbles...noises...tripod...thermal on...gun up....

Where is he, I don't see him

Right in front of us...

Squeek, squeek.

BOOM

It's great that you've taken another hunter out in the field, but Please elaborate on this post ?

You might've been ready, but it reads like he wasn't ready, or am I reading this post wrong ?

I've been lucky to have been able to predator hunt all over the US for the last 40 years and have made plenty of mistakes along the way, so LOL away.

And yes, I've been there. More than once.

I've hiked into stands and when I set up, I found that I had no ammo, batteries, call's or caller or one night I left my young nephew crying (who had no flashlight) that stopped to tie his boots while I was fixated on stalking a dog.

Two years ago,  I accidentally ran over a $4,000 thermal scope with the ranger.

That's something to LOL about. 

SJC

7 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

It's great that you've taken another hunter out in the field, but Please elaborate on this post ?

You might've been ready, but it reads like he wasn't ready, or am I reading this post wrong ?

I've been lucky to have been able to predator hunt all over the US for the last 40 years and have made plenty of mistakes along the way, so LOL away.

And yes, I've been there. More than once.

I've hiked into stands and when I set up, I found that I had no ammo, batteries, call's or caller or one night I left my young nephew crying (who had no flashlight) that stopped to tie his boots while I was fixated on stalking a dog.

Two years ago,  I accidentally ran over a $4,000 thermal scope with the ranger.

That's something to LOL about. 

SJC

Pretty simple.  As we were walking in, he saw eyes with his red headlamp.  Knew it was a fox and it wasn’t far.  This was after we scanned with thermal but it was other side of brush island. 

He wanted me to shoot but I had closed tripod in hand, gun slung over shoulder, thermal scanning hanging on neck and caller bag over it all.  I told him to shoot since I had to unload it all to shoot but he wanted me to shoot and waited until I did.  Not sure why you are getting defensive.  

One thing I learned was that I should load up so that I can still get gun up without dropping everything and that even with thermal, a red headlamp isn’t a bad idea.  Can’t exactly walk in while looking through monocular the entire time. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

I was also going to say was this just a ball busting and I'm late to the party, Sorry.

SJC

By the way, always wanting to learn, love to hear some of your favorite calling sequences and when you use them.   Sounds like you have lots of experience.    Thx

• Like 3

If you hadn't read the posts of the nights events, I figured the only way you would understand is if you were there.

Also, my definition of a mistake is different. That set scored us a fox! rushed shot? not really, I had my gun up and ready even though we were on THE WALK IN to the set. Had enough woods sense and time to have Moog unpack and get the gun up and ready, then I called, then we killed.

You have no idea how willing I was to wait for Moog to get the shot. I've killed my share, it was his turn.

Moog and I have hunted for 3 seasons, and we have pretty good communication in the field. Your post sounded to me like we screwed things up, and made mistakes, yet I feel as if this was my favorite set in 3 years and hands down one of my favorite hunts ever. Not to mention, we threw a dead critter in the truck after it.

• Like 4

Confirmed. Hornady Black. 75gr

Well I just ordered some 60 grainers and then now I finally get around to reading this thread. Oh well. Figure a heavier bullet should in theory fly better in my 1:8 and I'm handloading anyways. The price was a difference on a few pennies per hundred so not as big a deal. I'm excited to get a nice round worked up then hopefully finally get a damn coyote after many years of half assed attempts and now it will be my 2nd year of actually trying

awesome job on the both Moog. same to Treeguy for the assist. hard to believe you didn't shoot a 100lb fox and 150lb wolf unless i saw the pictures for myself in this very thread. you should take that setup down south for hogs. more targets. those thermal videos make it look like tons of fun.

• Like 2

Well I just ordered some 60 grainers and then now I finally get around to reading this thread. Oh well. Figure a heavier bullet should in theory fly better in my 1:8 and I'm handloading anyways. The price was a difference on a few pennies per hundred so not as big a deal. I'm excited to get a nice round worked up then hopefully finally get a damn coyote after many years of half assed attempts and now it will be my 2nd year of actually trying

I have 1/9 twist, stainless bull and can put any 223 through it with great accuracy. The only reason I love the 53 is for the specs. Fps and downrange energy is the best for any Hornady round. The black is a match ammo and great for target, but I'm sure would put a wallop on some dogs. Either way, good luck out there and I hope you get to put a round ( whichever one you pick) through a dog !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

i have a heavy savage 12 BTSS varminter with a 1:9 twist. 60gr Vmax loaded Black Hills ammo shoots way under MOA. if i'm having a good day with no wind i can clover leaf groups at 200 yards.

• Like 2

I have 1/9 twist, stainless bull and can put any 223 through it with great accuracy. The only reason I love the 53 is for the specs. Fps and downrange energy is the best for any Hornady round. The black is a match ammo and great for target, but I'm sure would put a wallop on some dogs. Either way, good luck out there and I hope you get to put a round ( whichever one you pick) through a dog !

Thanks! Definitely gonna need some major luck!

• Like 1