Stainless Steel barrel vs deer vision

Warren

this topic is blogged to death all over the internet. Some say glints of light are bad, others say if the deer is that close to you during rifle season you're probably asleep. Who knows for sure, one thing you can do is have the shiney stainless bead blasted by a gunsmith. This will take the smoothness or the steel away and leave it rough and dull. You'll never worry about shine again. B)

If it concerns you and rather than ruining the finish on the gun why not just get a camo barrel wrap for it? My brother did it with his gun basically all it is is camo tape but doesnt leave all the sticky glue after you take it off. He put his on a few years ago and never took it off. Simple and quick and keeps the gun original.

All scientific evidence that I have read says a deers vision is in black and white and shades of gray and possibly some blue due to the amount of rods and cones in there eye's. A silver barrel would probably blend in with whatever other objects in the deers environment that are the same color. What a deers eyes are keyed into like all prey animals is movement. Get the barrell pointing in the deers general direction when you hear them coming and minimal movement will be required when the target has been 100% identified as a deer. Now for Turkey,coyote, and fox I would not suggest a silver colored barrel.

Edited by erussell

Now for Turkey,coyote, and fox I would not suggest a silver colored barrel.

Canines also are color blind. Essentially any animal that has "night-vision" are color blind to some degree because they sacrificed a majority of their cones (color sensitive receptors) for more rods (light sensitive receptors).

A camo warp will do you fine too, but remeber stainless doesn't mean it can't oxidize, so take the wrap off when you are done hunting and clean it well. Also I have seen the heavier wraps affet zero, so if you go with one, reconfirm your scope settings. In my opinion, even though deer are color blind, I always feels as though the more subdued you are in the field, the less likely a deer will pick you up. They have an incredible ability to detect movement and a brighter looking barrel could be a flag.... but its a slim and unlikely chance a brrel will be the tipping point. Like it said earlier, get the working end of the tube pointing at the vitals and you will be just fine. I havenever had an issue with my stainless rifles.