LARRY-ISM'S

Larry

what are LARRY-ISM'S ? LARRY-ISM'S are the little bits of wisdom and knowledge and what I think of life and issues of are times. My intent is to post these little bits of wisdom every so often not in any order but as they pop into my little head. I will cover hunting, fishing,life in general, and politics. If you are a SNOWFLAKE stay a-way. Oh one more thing the KEY WORDS HERE ARE “WHAT I THINK”

LARRY-ISM'S

My take on using the Race Card : If you're a asshole I don't give a crap what color you are you're still a asshole. I don't owe you anything. I'm not going to judge you one your color but on your actions so don't judge me on my color.

Racism: Not all Racist are White when we under stand that then we can fix the problem of Racism.

• Like 4

LARRY-ISM

My personal rules for hunting:

we all have personal rules we follow when hunting you can call them ethics if you want.

1 I follow state laws even if I don't agree with all of them. Hunting is to important to me to jeopardize my hunting license.

2 I don't care how you hunt or what you hunt with as long as you aren't violating the law.

3 I don't care how big in this case the deer you kill is. I'm going to shake your hand. Whether It's a doe a button buck or the next world record.

4 I don't use antler size to determine if I'm going to shoot or not I use body size.

5 I wont shoot a deer on the last day that I wouldn't shoot on the first day.

6 Having fun (not the killing but the hunting) when it stops being fun it's time to quit hunting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Larry said:

LARRY-ISM

we all have personal rules we follow when hunting you can call them ethics if you want.

1 I follow state laws even if I don't agree with all of them. Hunting is to important to me to jeopardize my hunting license.

2 I don't care how you hunt or what you hunt with as long as you aren't violating the law.

3 I don't care how big in this case the deer you kill is. I'm going to shake your hand. Whether It's a doe a button buck or the next world record.

4 I don't use antler size to determine if I'm going to shoot or not I use body size.

6 Having fun (not the killing but the hunting) when it stops being fun it's time to quit hunting.

Good ism's!

LARRY-ISM

My take on some of the issues that we are facing in hunting.

1 CWD This is probably the biggest threat to hunting. This disease is a wold wide threat to all deer. CWD is all-ways fatal to deer and right now it is only a deer disease. If it ever jumps the species barrier to humans it will destroy hunting as we know it. Remember the CDC rec amends you eat no meat from a deer that has CWD.

2 Antler Restrictions are not needed. If you look at NY and Pa. NY has been promoting the. The let them grow program now for about 3 years and with little in the way of AR's has a harvest rate of 2.5 year old's and better that is about the same as Pa's with 15 years of AR's. All you have to do is look at the harvest reports from both states.

3 Crossbows I'm a bow hunter and at this time I have no plans to use a crossbow anytime soon. But I would like to see them in all of the bow season. I would rather see someone who shoots a crossbow well then the person who pulls there bow a week before bow season and claim there a bow hunter. I also think you should have to take the bow hunters course to use a crossbow for deer hunting.

4 Harvest reporting I can say I have reported every deer and turkey I've killed. What gets me is when the DEC releases there harvest report for the year we have people saying it's not right. The DEC uses proven methods and data from the on average 45% of us who do report are kills. To the REST OF YOU REPORT YOUR KILLS it's the law.

5 One or two bucks a year. I'm for the two bucks a year. Even though I haven't killed two bucks in the same year since 2009. I hunt a WMU that on average I will get a DMP every two years. I like to hunt so I use my 2nd buck tag to keep hunting. I wont fill that 2nd buck tag unless the buck is bigger than the first.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:31 PM, Larry said:

LARRY-ISM

-I am with you 100 % on this one.

.2 I don't care how you hunt or what you hunt with as long as you aren't violating the law.

-I am against you about 75 % on this one.  Body size is of primary importance to me, but:   

The reason is that antlers provide a quick and easy way for me to get a rough idea of the body size.  The "quick" part is key, because my opportunities are always few and fleeting.  It is rare for me to have more than a split second to make that "kill or not to kill" decision.   In my home WMU (9F), the local farmers hammer the antlerless deer every year prior to October 1, which typically results in an antlered to antlerless ratio of about 5:1 by that date.   That means that in order to end up with enough meat to last my family a year, I need to make the most efficient use possible of my (2) antlered tags.   The (4) dmp tags I get each year seldom provide more nurishment than the paper they are written on. 

A simple rule that has worked well for me in recent years is: During the first half of the seasons (3) or more points on a side - kill, otherwise -don't kill.    I have not killed an antlered deer with less than (3) points on a side since 2012, and we have had ended up with enough meat every year since then.    

-I am against you 100 % on this one.

The reason is that my family of (4) depends on venison for the bulk of our protein, and I am the only one who hunts.  My wife and kids are ok with store-bought chicken, but I get sick of that real fast.   Fortunately, I have not had to put it to the test, but if it ever came down to the last day with no tag punched, a buck with a single 3-1/32" long spike would certainly earn my tag,    

-I am against you 100 % on this one.

I hunt for meat and survival, not for "fun".   The fact that it is fun, is merely a side-benefit.   I get a lot more enjoyment out of time spent hunting (or fishing) than I do out of time spent shopping for food or caring for livestock.  I can not imagine how anyone could not.       

1 hour ago, Larry said:

LARRY-ISM

My take on some of the issues that we are facing in hunting.

1 CWD This is probably the biggest threat to hunting. This disease is a wold wide threat to all deer. CWD is all-ways fatal to deer and right now it is only a deer disease. If it ever jumps the species barrier to humans it will destroy hunting as we know it. Remember the CDC rec amends you eat no meat from a deer that has CWD.

-I am against you 100% here.

Your dog is out on this one.

2 Antler Restrictions are not needed. If you look at NY and Pa. NY has been promoting the. The let them grow program now for about 3 years and with little in the way of AR's has a harvest rate of 2.5 year old's and better that is about the same as Pa's with 15 years of AR's. All you have to do is look at the harvest reports from both states.

-I am with you 100% on this one

3 Crossbows I'm a bow hunter and at this time I have no plans to use a crossbow anytime soon. But I would like to see them in all of the bow season. I would rather see someone who shoots a crossbow well then the person who pulls there bow a week before bow season and claim there a bow hunter. I also think you should have to take the bow hunters course to use a crossbow for deer hunting.

-I am with you 100% on this one.

4 Harvest reporting I can say I have reported every deer and turkey I've killed. What gets me is when the DEC releases there harvest report for the year we have people saying it's not right. The DEC uses proven methods and data from the on average 45% of us who do report are kills. To the REST OF YOU REPORT YOUR KILLS it's the law.

-I am with you 100% on this one.

5 One or two bucks a year. I'm for the two bucks a year. Even though I haven't killed two bucks in the same year since 2009. I hunt a WMU that on average I will get a DMP every two years. I like to hunt so I use my 2nd buck tag to keep hunting. I wont fill that 2nd buck tag unless the buck is bigger than the first.

-I am with you about 50% on this one.

One buck a year would be ludicrous.   I would like to see (3), for those of us who purchase bow, gun. and ML licenses.  As I explained in my prior post, antlerless deer are very rare in my home DMU, by October 1 each season, due to their getting hammered by farmers with nuisance permits.  I would be eating a lot more chicken if I had to depend on antlerless deer for food.   I get (4) dmp's every year, but am seldom able to fill more than (1) of them in a season.   I managed (3) in 2016, but only (1) each year since then, and it has not been for lack of trying.    

On 12/29/2019 at 10:07 AM, Larry said:

LARRY-ISM'S

My take on using the Race Card : If you're a asshole I don't give a crap what color you are you're still a asshole. I don't owe you anything. I'm not going to judge you one your color but on your actions so don't judge me on my color.

Racism: Not all Racist are White when we under stand that then we can fix the problem of Racism.

-I am with you about 50 % on this one.   

All but (1) person, of all races, has made mistakes.  It is wrong to hold children accountable for the sins of their ancestors.  Holding a grudge benefits no one.  It is literally like drinking poison and expecting it to harm the person(s) whom you hold it against.      

Edited by wolc123

Lol. Same unproven CWD thoughts you have been carting around for years and yet you still have no proof to back up your....Whatever it is your trying to push. CWD is still the harmless disease it's been for 60 years. Didn't even bother reading the rest of the post after starting out with this Bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Lol. Same unproven CWD thoughts you have been carting around for years and yet you still have no proof to back up your....Whatever it is your trying to push. CWD is still the harmless disease it's been for 60 years. Didn't even bother reading the rest of the post after starting out with this Bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But larry-ism said so.....

LARRY-ISM

What I think is the best gun for hunting in NY if you could only have 1 gun.

I was once ask if I was new to hunting and only had the money to buy 1 gun for hunting. What gun would it be. So here what it is and why.

The gun is a 12ga shotgun with 2 barrels 1 bird barrel the other a rifled slug barrel with a good scope on it. With the 2 barrels you can hunt small game as well as deer out to 100yds. We all know there is not 1 gun that can do everything but the shotgun is as close as it gets.

• Like 1

The only reason I went with the 12ga was it's better on waterfowl when hunting big water. As for the 20 on turkeys I use a 870 20ga with #6 long beard but last year I used #7 tss shot the stuff is awesome, I wish 9's (tss) were legal in NY.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 1:18 PM, blackbeltbill said:

Tell you what-- 3 Bucks each year-- no problem. And " along" with that change, I would like to see 3 Spring Gobblers being Legal in NY. 

I believe it was legal in ny in certain counties back in the 90s. I would like to see separate tags sold for spring and fall. Just to aid in setting seasons, they cut the fall season but really have no idea of number of fall hunters as tags are sold together,  many do not hunt fall bird as their focus is on deer or phesant/ small game.