Minisink Valley School

SmokeinTN

Just now, Bionic said:

I have never heard a the old one room.  Lower Rd is still Lower rd though.  It might also be a count road with a number, i can look into it.

Thanks Bionic  I found my first grade report card from the Lower Rd. school.

• Like 2

It’s interesting ,I’m sure many can’t believe it wasn’t long ago kids still went to one room school houses . My brother in law attended one, that still stands but has been converted into a shop, buy the guy that bought it .

I park right next to it ,where I hunt .

Half of them are on a road named Brick Schoolhouse Rd. Lol

8 minutes ago, nyazhunter said:

My brother went to that one room school( actually I remember it as 2 rooms  . ).Minisink Valley Central opened in ‘57 and I was in the 1st kindergarten class .My grandfather was an original school board member. 

On one side was the kindergarten class that I attended and then went to first grade on the other. We moved shortly after school was out. By chance do you have any photos of the school or know of a society that would have some. Thanks for posting.  

• Like 1

Good luck with your school research, Jeff  !!

The  Mermaid  attended a one room country school  ( Orr Hill School  in Tuscarora) for several years...The building still stands on the west end of Orr Hill Road and is now a private residence..

When my family moved to Tuscarora  from Painted Post  in 1956, they had the option of sending my sister and me to a nearby one room school ( Webb School)  or to the central School in Addison...They opted for Addison Central, which I attended from 1956 to 1968...At the time there were about a dozen rural (country) schools in the Addison School District, most with about 12 to 18 students...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1