Son First Bow Season 2020

Zag

I kinda want to document my son's first yr bow hunting from Xmas when he received his first bow to hopefully a successful hunt next fall. With  now 2 football concussion and not playing next fall we should have quite a bit of stand time. He's been taking non stop about deer hunting so I'll post out progress as we go. 

First pic is from Xmas when he got his first Hoyt.

Yesterday we headed to the land to pic out a few spots (picked by him) near my current stands. He picked 2 spots and we started working on one. This spot has a natural clearing on a small ridge top that is within site of my stand and the new food plot. So we worked on clearing out a little more as he wants a small plot here. Maybe this gives them a reason to stop and give him time for a shot.

KIMG1623.JPG

KIMG1627.JPG

KIMG1629.JPG

KIMG1628.JPG

• Like 11

What a great idea for a thread!

Really looking forward to following.

This year was my grandson's third bow season. But with football, he only makes it out once or twice a season. He loves playing. But I'm sometimes selfishly jealous of football!

Just saying, a youth hunter must be within close contact of the mentor in NYS.

Wishing your son all the best in his first bow season!!!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Props for getting him in his own stand , my dad and I never hunted the same spot ,even when I was a junior archer ,I was starting to wonder if NYS changed the laws.

They have to be close enough to see and communicate with you without a radio or phone. 

46 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Damn, guess where I was yesterday?

I wasn’t trespassing, just thinking about it.  

:)

I need your phone number......

2308C76F-6716-483F-8146-23496ACC7EC5.jpeg

Must have missed you, son and I were over on that side yesterday too.

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to next season and he REALLY is to, he's talking about it as I type. So we have lots of work to do getting stands (have to my a bunch more) ready. I think next weekend will go get his arrows and release and get started on teaching him how to shoot a real bow. 

2 hours ago, Zag said:

Must have missed you, son and I were over on that side yesterday too.

I took the picture at 3:18pm

I was surprised at the size of the opening in the gate across from your sign.  Looks like the new neighbor down the hill is riding a four wheeler around the fields??

Same with the lower field on that same road on the south side......??

20 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I took the picture at 3:18pm

I was surprised at the size of the opening in the gate across from your sign.  Looks like the new neighbor down the hill is riding a four wheeler around the fields??

Same with the lower field on that same road on the south side......??

I'm not sure if he went into the fields but he definitely was going up past the turnaround and into the neighbors woods and thru our woods at least one time. My dad caught him one day and he had 2 little kids with him so he didn't lay into him but questioned what he was doing. I put the posted sign right in the middle of the lane way to hopefully give him the hint. I haven't seen evidence of him coming back up. Dirt bag move to just start trespassing on a wheeler in your new neighbor hood. I came down the hill one day and he was at the detached garage that's my the road, he didn't even turn to look at me. Odd behavior. Did he drive thru the fields to?

4 minutes ago, Zag said:

. I came down the hill one day and he was at the detached garage that's my the road, he didn't even turn to look at me. Odd behavior. Did he drive thru the fields to?

That's where I saw the 'wheeler yesterday, right by the lower garage.

Both the north side and south sides show some muddy paths from a machine.  I need to talk to Chris (the nephew that hunts there with his wife) and see if he ran around much during the season but I can almost guarantee he didn't.

Sounds like a "come to Jesus" talk may be in order.....

3 hours ago, Zag said:

They have to be close enough to see and communicate with you without a radio or phone. 

I feel like it was 500 feet ,i'm not positive though . I know some stands were way farther away then that. I remember him getting to his stand and saying good luck and i'd still have to walk to the top of the hill . Sometimes id be so scared when i would hear stuff take off running and i remember being more scared to go back and tell him i was scared LOL.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

That's where I saw the 'wheeler yesterday, right by the lower garage.

Both the north side and south sides show some muddy paths from a machine.  I need to talk to Chris (the nephew that hunts there with his wife) and see if he ran around much during the season but I can almost guarantee he didn't.

Sounds like a "come to Jesus" talk may be in order.....

Fresh tracks? Im most confident it's this guy. A good way to alienate yourself less than yr in to the neighborhood. Rumor I heard was he is in the military and can be gone for long periods of time. As I appreciate his service I dont appreciate trespassing, especially on a 4 wheeler where your tearing up someone else's land.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I feel like it was 500 feet ,i'm not positive though . I know some stands were way farther away then that. I remember him getting to his stand and saying good luck and i'd still have to walk to the top of the hill . Sometimes id be so scared when i would hear stuff take off running and i remember being more scared to go back and tell him i was scared LOL.

Technically the wording is “must maintain physical control” and also being close enough to communicate with out radio as previously mentioned. 

That was a change when they came out with the addition of youth gun seasons. 

• 8 months later...

Gosh it seems so long ago I started this. Well obviously corona delayed getting things going and baseballs been full swing but is starting to slow down. Needless to say we’re behind but moving forward. We stopped at the bow show to get him fitted for arrows and have begun target shooting. So far so good shooting at a broadside target, we talked about judging distance and angle shots and how you need to adjust your shot for quartering shots. Once he gets comfortable will move to elevated shots. 

E6050580-2D6F-408E-9E8F-B647A5C74221.jpeg

• Like 3

Gosh it seems so long ago I started this. Well obviously corona delayed getting things going and baseballs been full swing but is starting to slow down. Needless to say we’re behind but moving forward. We stopped at the bow show to get him fitted for arrows and have begun target shooting. So far so good shooting at a broadside target, we talked about judging distance and angle shots and how you need to adjust your shot for quartering shots. Once he gets comfortable will move to elevated shots. 
E6050580-2D6F-408E-9E8F-B647A5C74221.thumb.jpeg.613c61cd5357cc813e8d1348b891ee53.jpeg
Excellent choice in footwear!

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 2

That’s awesome Zag.  I sure hope to see him with his hands wrapped around some nice bases this fall.  I was there with my son Eric when he got his first buck still one of the best memories ever we still talk about it and hopefully we’re gonna make some more memories Make sure to video and take pictures of his first time I would give anything to have that from mine from 1983

good luck on starting yours hunting memories with your son.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’ve been pretty impressed and I shouldn’t be. He’s been practicing is but off even when I’m not around making my wife come watch him. He’s pretty dialed in at 10-15 yards. Now will start taking bigger jumps back. I’ll probably keep his distance to around 20yrds. I think with his lower poundage this is a good limit. 

A4B3CC6F-EE52-480C-899C-3E74D97596E3.jpeg

This is awesome. I’m going thru the same thing with Little Squirrel. He already loves to fish and always wanted to go with me when pheasant and rabbit hunting. I took him scouting this past weekend and we hung some cameras. He is totally into it. Gonna set a 2 man ladder this coming weekend (I will be tethered @Chef). I started him shooting an old bow I had laying around but am gonna supersize him with a new one this weekend! 

What poundage is Little Zag shooting? Lil Squirrel had trouble until i cranked it down. Now its at 32 lbs and may still be a bit much. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

This is awesome. I’m going thru the same thing with Little Squirrel. He already loves to fish and always wanted to go with me when pheasant and rabbit hunting. I took him scouting this past weekend and we hung some cameras. He is totally into it. Gonna set a 2 man ladder this coming weekend (I will be tethered @Chef). I started him shooting an old bow I had laying around but am gonna supersize him with a new one this weekend! 

What poundage is Little Zag shooting? Lil Squirrel had trouble until i cranked it down. Now its at 32 lbs and may still be a bit much. 

It goes from 35 to I think 70 or 80

• Like 1