Son First Bow Season 2020

Zag

Congratulations to your son, hard work and practice pays off again!!

As you know, I’ve hunted adjacent to (and on it in the early years) your property for many years.   My very first buck was a dandy six pointer killed in 1980.....and he died on your land.

I think your boy is going to be a fine young man and a heck of a hunter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For anyone that has or knows a young kid who’s just starting out here’s the setup my son had. 
Bow was set at 35 and he could pull it back fairly easy but I opted to leave as adding hunting cloths and a cold day could make higher weight tougher plus holding full draw is more challenging. 
My biggest concern with the lower draw weight was in my mind he needed a smaller fixed blade broad head & the muzzy’s did very well!! Double lung clean pass through. 

E0B47204-1219-4968-91F4-2EAE95513A83.jpeg

1D8B0E44-8AC0-4DD0-BB27-2EACB3058890.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well we have only been out one time since he harvested the doe. He almost had a crack at a small 10pt the other night, so close!! It’s gonna be easier to hunt coming up. Baseballs in the final week and weekend. Cross country ends Nov 3rd and they practice every day of the week:-(

Good news is his schedule really opens up when the hunting starts to get good!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well no dice so far:-( we had yet another close encounter tonight with a great buck and again just of range. Son is home learning this week so he’s hunting out back for 40 minutes in the morning then in the afternoon all week. Trying my best to help him and we have had so many close calls it’s gotta fall his way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried my damn best to put him in position to get a decent buck. He wasn’t gonna shoot a small one, his standards were pretty big in the beginning and towards the end said he go as low as a 6pt. We were close on a handful of good bucks but they always were just a little to far away. 
Im still super proud he took that doe at 25yrds a few hunts into the season with ease. I called the dec twice Friday to see if he can still bow hunt during gun season and late season but nobody has called me back yet. 

On 11/22/2020 at 9:47 PM, Zag said:

Well I tried my damn best to put him in position to get a decent buck. He wasn’t gonna shoot a small one, his standards were pretty big in the beginning and towards the end said he go as low as a 6pt. We were close on a handful of good bucks but they always were just a little to far away. 
Im still super proud he took that doe at 25yrds a few hunts into the season with ease. I called the dec twice Friday to see if he can still bow hunt during gun season and late season but nobody has called me back yet. 

I believe if under 14 they can only use bow that includes the regular season

https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/95492.html

1 When hunting with a bow during the regular deer and bear hunting season (for ages 14+), either a bowhunting privilege or a valid bowhunter education certificate may be used.

6 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I believe if under 14 they can only use bow that includes the regular season

https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/95492.html

1 When hunting with a bow during the regular deer and bear hunting season (for ages 14+), either a bowhunting privilege or a valid bowhunter education certificate may be used.

So a friend told me he couldn’t, I called region 8 Monday and they said hunt away!! Since I need to be with him or very near him I asked if I can have my gun and him his bow and they also said yes.

• Like 1