Old fence post.

bhunterED

I took this old fence post out of the woods from my grandparents old homestead years ago with intentions of doing something with it but wasn't really sure what. Until today that is. I was looking at my to euro's mounted on plaques and the euro from this year on my tv table and it clicked.20191229_153054.thumb.jpg.e4742fcbb5962d4577e55ac6cf0fb1a9.jpg

20191229_192246.jpg

• Like 30

Just now, Pygmy said:

It may be American Chestnut….That wood was used a lot for fenceposts 100+ years ago, and it is very durable...

Not sure of the species but the only part that was bad on the post itself was the end that had been in the ground and even that wasn't all that bad. The old staple nails are still in it but the fence had rotted away. It's kinda crazy how it's still solid and not brittle after all these years. I was originally thinking locust maybe but there are quite a few chestnut trees around there.

1 minute ago, bhunterED said:

Not sure of the species but the only part that was bad on the post itself was the end that had been in the ground and even that wasn't all that bad. The old staple nails are still in it but the fence had rotted away. It's kinda crazy how it's still solid and not brittle after all these years. I was originally thinking locust maybe but there are quite a few chestnut trees around there.

My  father-in law  was born around 1900 and worked all his life as a farmer..He told me that chestnut was the best wood for fenceposts and locust was second best..The chestnut died off around here in the 1920s...He showed me numerous posts on the farm that were chestnut in the 1970s and 1980s...  I also burn a fair amount of chestnut for firewood around that time....Many trees that had died and hung up in surrounding trees were still very sound, as long as they were suspended off the ground..They were very dry and made excellent firewood..

• Like 1

I took this old fence post out of the woods from my grandparents old homestead years ago with intentions of doing something with it but wasn't really sure what. Until today that is. I was looking at my to euro's mounted on plaques and the euro from this year on my tv table and it clicked.20191229_153054.thumb.jpg.e4742fcbb5962d4577e55ac6cf0fb1a9.jpg
20191229_192246.thumb.jpg.489c086fd718ac95f9dab4c324fa2ad5.jpg

Love it, copying it immediately lol. I’ve had a post for about ten years waiting for this day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Love it, copying it immediately lol. I’ve had a post for about ten years waiting for this day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had this post for about 7 years and it just clicked today.

Thanks everyone else for the kind words, Four Season I only have the one pictured for a full mount but the next one that I put down if its bigger it will be next to that one.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

That's a pretty cool way to display those bucks, well done.

Isn't chestnut the source of all those cool tree stumps used as lawn decorations?  IIRC the Mermaid talked about some of those swiped from her property??

Since America Chestnut was THE predominate hardwood in NYS up until the 1920s, it is very likely that a lot  of the stump fences were built with chestnut stumps..

And yes,  many of them ended up as lawn decorations, including quite a few from The Mermaid's property....