Puppy training....

mowin

With dogs that are going to hunt and be great citizens I expose them to every possible setting, we visit Walmart and sit out front, vet's office by the hour watching other pets come and go and if I leave the house one of my hunting dogs comes along (within reason). 

I also expose them them early to sounds like thunderstorms, gun fire and fireworks, either through audio tapes or live exposure (start slowly). It takes a lot of hours but worth every second when they reach their potential and are calm. The only time they get excited is to be with us or in the field, outside of that it's business as usual and they are always in control.....

3 minutes ago, Salmon_Run said:

With dogs that are going to hunt and be great citizens I expose them to every possible setting, we visit Walmart and sit out front, vet's office by the hour watching other pets come and go and if I leave the house one of my hunting dogs comes along (within reason). 

I also expose them them early to sounds like thunderstorms, gun fire and fireworks, either through audio tapes or live exposure (start slowly). It takes a lot of hours but worth every second when they reach their potential and are calm. The only time they get excited is to be with us or in the field, outside of that it's business as usual and they are always in control.....

Not planning on training her to hunt.  However, she definitely doesn't like loud sounds. I'm hoping to change that. 

One thing when I got my pup. I was handed a small blanket and told to give to pup at night while she was in the cage. The blanket had smell of mother and litter mates.  In your situation I wonder if might help to leave a blanket  with your smell on it in the cage with her at night.  My lab loves her cage. It sits in our bedroom and she goes there at night when its time to sleep. I put her in it first night she came home. I locked the door then, but now I dont even have a door on the cage.  Im lucky i didnt know any of this small cage large cage business. I bought her a huge cage and she never once soiled it.  I guess luck. I also let her out THEN feed her. She takes care of her business then runs in expecting food. Works well, except at bed time. 

Other thing we also got child safety gates. This worked flawlessly.  No screw holes needed. 

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

One thing when I got my pup. I was handed a small blanket and told to give to pup at night while she was in the cage. The blanket had smell of mother and litter mates.  In your situation I wonder if might help to leave a blanket  with your smell on it in the cage with her at night.  My lab loves her cage. It sits in our bedroom and she goes there at night when its time to sleep. I put her in it first night she came home. I locked the door then, but now I dont even have a door on the cage.  Im lucky i didnt know any of this small cage large cage business. I bought her a huge cage and she never once soiled it.  I guess luck. I also let her out THEN feed her. She takes care of her business then runs in expecting food. Works well, except at bed time. 

Other thing we also got child safety gates. This worked flawlessly.  No screw holes needed. 

A blanket with our scent on it is a fantastic idea.  :drinks:

Interestingly enough that blanket we were given stayed around for a while and kind of disappeared.  My wife found it stuffed somewhere in a drawer 4 years later.  She brought it downstairs and the dog found it. Sniffed like crazy and now at times she goes to where it is and whines until we give it to her.  She either recognizes it or it still smells. I hope this idea works out.

• Like 1

When we got ellie I wore an old t shirt to work . In the crate it went at night . Until she shredded  it .  Took a couple months . After that it was a kong toy  only . This dog is now 2 but she will sneak a sock or a hand towel.  Still cant put toilet paper on the holder she will sneak in and eat it .

Tuff nut to crack this one .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think she's adopting rather well.  Potty training is still a issue.  Take her out and she's very happy to please me by going outside, which I praise her and give her a treat.  However, she is as willing to pee on the floor even though I give negative feedback and boot her outside.  Still needs work there.. 

IMG_20200103_203602996.jpg

• Like 4

Be patient, she will figure it out.  A kennel will help; you can use a divider panel inside of a large kennel to help with training as she grows.

I miss my Jakey Dog more than words could express.  Love is so much greater than the minor inconveniences of house breaking. 

2018-12-02 05.36.47 1.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nytracker said:

How is Stella  doing ... dont leave us hanging. 

She's doing better. Not as many accidents inside, but still needs work there. 

The crate is our biggest issue.  She won't go in it.  I have to pick her up and place her in it.  If she thinks it's crate time, she won't come near me, lol.  She goes in in a couple times a day on her own, but only for a couple seconds, so I know she's not afraid of it.