Input needed on broadheads

So i decided for next year to go heavy with the heads on my arrows.   Ive got a couple in mind already just want to see if anyone has pros and cons for them. Maybe what to be careful of going heavier.  2 blade?3blade?4? Shooting a bear charge 28" draw usually shoot 29" arrows at 60lbs(havent checked to get accurate number, bow is maxed out.)  I keep reading 10grains of arrow weight per 1lb of draw so 600ish grain arrows? I have been shooting radial weave 300 with stock inserts,knock and 100 grain head.  Side note i will also be changing up arrows.  Really like the looks of the Zwickey especially being able to resharpen and reuse. Thanks for the input.

Choices so far

1)magnus stinger 2 blade with 100 grain with extra weight up front to get it closer to 150 or more. 

2) magnus black hornet 2 or 4 blade 100 grain

3)Zwickey Eskilite 2 blade screw in 135 grain.

4)nap thunderheads 125 grain.

54 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

So i decided for next year to go heavy with the heads on my arrows.   Ive got a couple in mind already just want to see if anyone has pros and cons for them. Maybe what to be careful of going heavier.  2 blade?3blade?4? Shooting a bear charge 28" draw usually shoot 29" arrows at 60lbs(havent checked to get accurate number, bow is maxed out.)  I keep reading 10grains of arrow weight per 1lb of draw so 600ish grain arrows? I have been shooting radial weave 300 with stock inserts,knock and 100 grain head.  Side note i will also be changing up arrows.  Really like the looks of the Zwickey especially being able to resharpen and reuse. Thanks for the input.

Choices so far

1)magnus stinger 2 blade with 100 grain with extra weight up front to get it closer to 150 or more. 

2) magnus black hornet 2 or 4 blade 100 grain

3)Zwickey Eskilite 2 blade screw in 135 grain.

4)nap thunderheads 125 grain.

I can't speak for all of them. I only every shot 125 Thunderheads and had great luck. I never felt that I needed to try anything different.

• Like 1

A 600g arrow is a tank ,that's like a water buffalo arrow. I'm not at all telling you what arrow to shoot but just a comparison, my 60 pound bow shoots a 405g (total weight) Easton hexx with 50g of brass up front and a 100g broadhead. What ever total weight you decide on ,try and keep your FOC around 10 - 13ish. Sounds like are you already aware that increasing the weight on the front will make the arrow react like a weaker spine . 

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 2

I shoot the 100 grain thunderheads and love them mostly due to the cost but also because of their effectiveness IF I DO MY JOB!
I find them also to be quite durable - shot two deer with the same head this year (after a little touch up sharpening after first kill) and replacement blades are a nice bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I would go with a two blade head in case you hit bone they have the best chance at going through. I also think 600 gr is a bit on the heavy side for your DL and #. You can play around with different weight field tips and see how your arrow behaves. I would be curious to hear how much more your heavy arrow drops from 20 to 30 yds as i will experiment with a heavier set up as well,but i am thinking of going to about 500 gr with my 62# bow and 29.5 DL.

• Like 1

I just switched to the Magnus ser razors for myself , son and wife. I had zero problems getting them to tune and fly with field points, the photos guys were posting of the damage they leave and the Magnus warranty made it a easy choice for myself.  

I ran some numbers on my pinwheel arrow app and I think your going to struggle to find  a arrow that’s 600 grains for your set up. 
Just a couple of heavy arrows I ran. 

A gold tip kinetic 340 spine with a 100 grain brass insert / 125 grain head that falls right on the optimum spine for your set up, gives you a 537 grain arrow. 

A Easton aluminum 2216 xx75 with 125 grain head will give you 538 grains with being just a hair stiff. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

I shoot a Matthews Z7. 70 pounds at 29". I shoot Beeman carbon arrows at 340 grains with a G5 Montec fixed blade 100 grain and luminoc. Almost always a pass thru, unless I messed up the shot (sorry but it happened and watched my deer run away with my arrow). I recently switched to the Rage extreme 4 blade mechanical because the G5 was sometimes lacking in the blood trail department, but that doesn't matter when you see them drop. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

This is what i kinda had in mind with the magnus stinger.

I didn’t have a great experience with a Magnus stinger, The deer In my avatar was shot with one. It was a  high entrance low exit,  a bit back . took out the back of the lungs and liver , I was not impressed with the blood trail. Just a FYI The owner of Magnus recommends the buzzcut over the stinger for a better blood trail’s . 

I forgot to add the gold tip kinetic is with a 30 inch arrow. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whats everyone using for arrow inserts? Ide like to have from 100-150grains worth of insert weight. Ive been looking at the goldtip since i can screw in extra weights in the back to adjust.  

I bought my arrows went with the victory arrows elite was selling because of the sale there having. But its the spine and around the weight i wanted.  Ive also decided to go with the magnus blackhornet.

Screenshot_20200116-041458.png

Screenshot_20200116-041439.png

Edited by Swamp_bucks

Check amazon, I bought 50 grain inserts for my sons Beman hunters  (Maifeild  is the brand) think I spent $8 for them .  Only thing I found is they were a tad light , 48 or 49 grains I think they were .They fit his arrows well and broad heads spun true in them. Pretty sure  I saw 100 grainers. 

Victory makes your elite arrows so I ran the number on my pinwheel app for you again , and 125 head ,100 gr insert , 29 inch arrow puts you spot on for optimum spine for your Bear charge.. 

Edited by rob-c

27 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Check amazon, I bought 50 grain inserts for my sons Beman hunters  (Maifeild  is the brand) think I spent $8 for them .  Only thing I found is they were a tad light , 48 or 49 grains I think they were .They fit his arrows well and broad heads spun true in them. Pretty sure  I saw 100 grainers. 

Victory makes your elite arrows so I ran the number on my pinwheel app for you again , and 125 head ,100 gr insert , 29 inch arrow puts you spot on for optimum spine for your Bear charge.. 

Thanks. I was hoping you would respond and see if my numbers looked about right. Is there an app on your phone you use,book?  

4 hours ago, rob-c said:

I bought the 50 grain threaded weights on ebay and saved the $9 gold tip charges to ship them

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i used the goldtip weight system. that seems to be trial and error somewhere that has them though when you cross brands like that. lancaster archery is good. can always ask them over the phone if you don't have somewhere to test fit.

Did you spring for the wrench? I didnt because I hadnt glued the tips in yet, now it looks like I wont use the weights anyway

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Did you spring for the wrench? I didnt because I hadnt glued the tips in yet, now it looks like I wont use the weights anyway

yup.  still undecided on "hot melt" glue but have go to permanent stuff. figured it lets me play with and fine tune limitless combinations of what i've got and what's always on sale.

• Like 1