People Left New York Faster Than Any State in 2019

We checked out Virginia last year, even looked at a few houses. The Roanoke area appealed to us. Since then, the state turned full blue, and they have their version of the NY Safe act ready for the governor's signature any day now.

The Safe Act here hasn't really bothered me except to go through the silly AR compliance neutering. But when states go blue, gun laws are like the canary in the coal mine for all of the other BS. Like ridiculously high taxes.

We're going to check out the northern part of NC later this year.

Property taxes in VA and NC are less than 1/10th of what they are here. I've got anywhere from 1-4 years to retirement. If my property taxes were reduced that much I could probably retire now.

It ain't the weather!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

We checked out Virginia last year, even looked at a few houses. The Roanoke area appealed to us. Since then, the state turned full blue, and they have their version of the NY Safe act ready for the governor's signature any day now.

The Safe Act here hasn't really bothered me except to go through the silly AR compliance neutering. But when states go blue, gun laws are like the canary in the coal mine for all of the other BS. Like ridiculously high taxes.

We're going to check out the northern part of NC later this year.

Property taxes in VA and NC are less than 1/10th of what they are here. I've got anywhere from 1-4 years to retirement. If my property taxes were reduced that much I could probably retire now.

It ain't the weather!

i have 2 sites in VA. Roanoke and Lynchburg. Both nice towns with a ton of great public land access nearby. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

i have 2 sites in VA. Roanoke and Lynchburg. Both nice towns with a ton of great public land access nearby. 

We didn't check out Lynchburg but I'd like to on a future visit. We were near the southern border around the middle east/west wise, and checked out a bunch of places traveling west to the Roanoke area. As we got closer to the mountains, it felt more like home. Wasn't a lot of hardwoods until we got near the mountains. Those pine plantations that were all over the state didn't really appeal to us.

• 4 weeks later...

Again the media gets it wrong , 77k did not leave NYS, that’s NET loss. One must factor in immigration to NYS , the higher birth rate over death rate , along with outmigration.

You can see for the year July 17- July 18 , 180k left but that resulted in a Net loss of 48k .

1555DB6C-EC88-429F-BAC9-95D45FD02442.jpeg

• Like 2

And the people who left were most likely highly productive tax paying citizens, many who were quite wealthy.  Whereas the ones who came to NY are on the low end of the income and tax scale, many of whom rely on govt assistance.  The details are in the demographics.

NY is quickly going broke.  Get ready for the huge reach into your pockets my friends.

• Like 3

I like the looks of tenesee and Kentucky but doubt if I will ever leave. 

The only chance I’ll ever leave is if my daughters where to move to another state for a job when they grow up. It’s a long long time from now but I can’t see moving out of state for any other reason at this point in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Moho81 said:

The only chance I’ll ever leave is if my daughters where to move to another state for a job when they grow up. It’s a long long time from now but I can’t see moving out of state for any other reason at this point in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's not an easy thing to do when all you know is here.  And I like upstate NY for a lot of reasons. If it wasn't for what I do for work I wouldn't mind winter that much even.