Enticement?

Lawdwaz

I've never used anything to hook the deer in or keep them on a spot for glamor shots. Those that are, what do you use?

I've know for a fact pears work <grin> what about commercial products that work?

I REFUSE to use the B word................................................!!.

I honesty can say..find a food source..appples, pears,corn,clover. then a lot of luck :) seriously a lot of it depends on the position of the camera and trigger reset speed. try to cover an area that is small or confined by terrain where a deer has to stand or move through slowly giving you multiple shots

I created a scrape line this year, but havent gone to freshen them up yet. Next time I move my cam, Ill take it there and see what happens.

As far as baiting for cameras, its illegal to bait or feed deer at any time of the year, not just hunting season. Find a natural food source or a food plot. I setup mostly on food sources, but have had some luck pointing the cam down a heavily used trail.

It would be interesting to put a few drops of deer urine next to the trail strategically located to see if that might cause them to pause in an ideal spot. In fact I have wondered about using the same technique while hunting a trail to get the deer to pause for the shot. I keep saying I've got to try that, but never seem to remember to do it. I never did like that bleat imitation that some guys use to stop deer, and have been looking for an alternative way of doing that.

bait 1 (bamacr.gift)

n.

a. Food or other lure placed on a hook or in a trap and used in the taking of fish, birds, or other animals.

b. Something, such as a worm, used for this purpose.

2. An enticement; a temptation.

3. Archaic A stop for food or rest during a trip.

v. bait·ed, bait·ing, baits

v.tr.

1. To place a lure in (a trap) or on (a fishing hook).

2. To entice, especially by trickery or strategy.

3. To set dogs upon (a chained animal, for example) for sport.

4. To attack or torment, especially with persistent insults, criticism, or ridicule.

5. To tease.

6. To feed (an animal), especially on a journey.

v.intr. Archaic

To stop for food or rest during a trip.

I would think this definition is up to interpretation.......look at "a" and #6. what type of journey are you leading the deer on....

I know the law, but feeding deer to get a picture, is that truely baiting? how many people feed deer off of there porches and the law does nothing, in fact everyone likes it! IMHO, putting out some "stuff" in front of a camera does no harm....On the other hand hunting over bait, I defintiely do not agree with...and just for the record, I don't hunt or take pics over antyhing.

You can say what you will but to feed a deer a litlle corn or whatever

I've found that most deer pose best for glamour shots after being mounted on the wall.

I'd say that mock scrapes have been my most effective means of capturing quality pictures of bucks as well as does. Scenting over-hanging branches with tinks or code blue can make for great photos of deer because they usually strike a nice pose with their heads held high exposing their entire body.

As for the B-word discussion, if you do choose to set up a camera on a natural food source such as an apple tree, take care not to kick any of the drop apples from where they fell, its against the law.

Ever think thats why the oldtimers got their deer eating limburger cheese sandwiches?? And yes i know its baiting my grandfather use to do it to show us how curious a deer is.. And remember deer love tobacco as well so don't be dropping those cigarette butts under your stand either........

bait 1 (bamacr.gift)

n.

a. Food or other lure placed on a hook or in a trap and used in the taking of fish, birds, or other animals.

b. Something, such as a worm, used for this purpose.

2. An enticement; a temptation.

3. Archaic A stop for food or rest during a trip.

v. bait·ed, bait·ing, baits

v.tr.

1. To place a lure in (a trap) or on (a fishing hook).

2. To entice, especially by trickery or strategy.

3. To set dogs upon (a chained animal, for example) for sport.

4. To attack or torment, especially with persistent insults, criticism, or ridicule.

5. To tease.

6. To feed (an animal), especially on a journey.

v.intr. Archaic

To stop for food or rest during a trip.

I would think this definition is up to interpretation.......look at "a" and #6. what type of journey are you leading the deer on....

I know the law, but feeding deer to get a picture, is that truely baiting? how many people feed deer off of there porches and the law does nothing, in fact everyone likes it! IMHO, putting out some "stuff" in front of a camera does no harm....On the other hand hunting over bait, I defintiely do not agree with...and just for the record, I don't hunt or take pics over antyhing.

You can say what you will but to feed a deer a litlle corn or whatever

Yes its baiting, and illegal. Go ahead and email the DEC and be sure to share the reply. You need to use the DEC definition of what baiting is, not the dictionary. Its not really up to your interpretation of what should be right or not, the law is clear about it.

http://www.dec.ny.go...imals/7197.html

Gman, they dont eat cigarette butts, so its not baiting.

I'm not arguing the legality of it with the DEC .. My point is, how many "people" who are not hunter's, like deer in their back yard and feed them. Nothing happens to these people even though "ITS THE LAW" as you have pointed out many times before. But god forbid a hunter with a camera be caught putting out some corn...he would be prosecuted? That just doesn't seem right to me.

I'm not arguing the legality of it with the DEC .. My point is, how many "people" who are not hunter's, like deer in their back yard and feed them. Nothing happens to these people even though "ITS THE LAW" as you have pointed out many times before. But god forbid a hunter with a camera be caught putting out some corn...he would be prosecuted? That just doesn't seem right to me.

I see it all the time on the way to my place upstate. Loafs of bread outside, and deer always there at dusk on this guys front lawn.

Well, if you want to break the law, go right ahead and keep making excuses for it to yourself. Im just saying its not legal. Its not legal for any of those other idiots that feed deer either. And yes, people do get ticketed for it. A guy a couple of miles down the street from my fathers house used to have a salt lick in his back yard until DEC noticed it one day and issued him a ticket. He claimed he didnt know it was illegal. ignorance is bliss, but its no excuse.

LOL.....this is turning into a small (one ring) circus.

I have one camera under an apple tree and the others on trails. Maybe I'll put out a bottle of Makers Mark and a good stogie and see what I get.

Probably look like me in the pics. :fie:

And with this cool weather today it is that time of year for the bourbon!

I've watched them clean up a lot of pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco, and cigarette butts that were on the ground... i've also seen them eat frozen fish left next to ice holes, and even a frog once.... A deer will and does eat everything.. as the farmers saying goes they are nothing but long legged rats!!

Edited by G-Man