Snowshoe hares

I’m up at my place for a few days, so I decided to try some snowshoe hare hunting. I wasn’t expecting much without a dog, but tried it anyway. They are there I just couldn’t get them to move. I found what looks like a run,so I followed it for a while, but gave up after awhile. I’m going to head back there before dark and try some predator hunting. There where coyote and fox tracks a over the place.

6f75413c000833ce97884faa94bdcc46.jpg06253419ef4fe151fcdaf3b0d559f090.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 11:11 AM, rachunter said:

They are there I just couldn’t get them to move.

And that is the problem in a nutshell, Hares will sit so tight that they literally have to be kicked to make them move. That white fur makes them very hard to see when they are on snow unless they are moving, most times you will walk by them and if it were not for their tracks you would think there were none there. They are like ghosts, they just appear and disappear.

Hares do not live in holes or dens like Cottontails but they will get under anything they can to conceal themselves, a good dog will learn through experience what places to check and root and flush them out.

There was one year at mid season there was almost zero snow, myself and a couple of other guys went to one of our favorite spots that was loaded with Hare, we thought there was going to be easy pickings with those white coats sticking out like sore thumbs on the bare ground. We and our Beagles beat the cover for a couple of hours with no starts and no Hare seen, I was flabbergasted as the Beagle I was hunting at that time was an exceptional hound.

So I am standing around in this big open bog with clumps of Alder trees here and there, the ground was covered with tall cattail grass that had been flattened from snow. Off in the distance there was a loud rumbling sonic boom from a plane, at that moment about a half dozen Hare popped their white heads up from underneath that tall swamp grass to take a look around and then immediately ducked back down. 

One was very close to me and I marked the spot and called my Beagle in, I showed her where the Hare was hiding and she literally ran over the top of him a couple of times but he did not move nor could she scent him. I had to kick him out from under the grass and as soon as he raised up and took off running the Beagle caught his scent and the race was on with her in full cry. So apparently their fur not only keeps them warm, as long as they sit tight it holds their scent. 

They have their tricks and defenses and that is what makes them a challenge and blast to hunt if you have a good dog.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 5

Went back and tried some predator hunting for the last hour of light. Called in this owl within seconds. I have to get it together and try some night hunting.
8862d0dda1bd014609d855eebeaad296.jpg
The picture isn’t great I used my digital camera and don’t have the wire to transfer it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 8:37 PM, beagler said:

Better habitat would bring them back I’m sure.

I was just in north pharsila looking for them.

My 2 beagles and I found some decent cover ; but no tracks nor hare.I heard a tree cutting machine running near one area.I spoke to the guy operating it in the way out.He said a few years ago they shot a hare nearby.I did see a few tracks from   deer , red squirrel, one grouse, and possible fox track.The snow was fluffy and 6-10 inches in some places.

Beautiful area but as the brush cutter guy said ; it might be a few years till hare return.There was also guys clearcutting too.Just logging out; not sure if any replanting was to be done.My 1st time there and almost got stuck as there wasice underneath the snowmobile tracks.  

Snowshoe Hares have a definite preference habitat requirement to live in and sustain a good population. They mainly need relatively young thick conifer forests for protection, the closer the bottom branches are to the ground the better. A forest meeting those requirements will provide food, shelter and most importantly protection from predators and raptors.

Back in the 1930s when the CCC operations was in full swing thousands of acres were reforested by the government with various conifers throughout the state. By the 50s, 60s and 70s these forests had matured to the point that they were ideal for Hare habitat and the Hare populations were bulging.  I can remember my Dad hunting them during those peak years coming home after a Hare hunt with his cronies, the trunk of his car would be full of Hare.  One old timer told me everyone thought they had a top notch hunting dog, he said the Hare were so thick you just turned a dog loose in the woods and waited on the edges and they would come pouring out, the pickings were pretty easy.

I got to hunt the tail end of those good old days but as time went on the trees grew taller and taller and the cover became less and less. Today those forests are completely open, the lowest branches are many feet up and one can look down the rows of those planted trees and see well over a hundred yards. No place for a Hare to hide hence no Hare.

While the old CCC forests are about shot for holding Hare one can still find a good large patch of low to the ground newer thick conifer forest in Hare country with some scouting, if you are lucky enough find one there will be Hare living in it and more than a few.

Al

Snowshoe Hare5.jpg

p1010862.jpg

• Like 1