Buying Land - Need Some Advice

bfahy13

My dad, brother, and myself are looking into purchasing some land this summer.

We have a few places we want to go look at, and had a big question.

We dont plan to build a "house" any time soon, but eventually would like to do so.

For now, we just need a small cabin to stay in.

In order to avoid a giant tax increase, would a camper be a better option? Any other suggestions would be great. 

2 hours ago, bfahy13 said:

We dont plan to build a "house" any time soon, but eventually would like to do so.

In order to avoid a giant tax increase, would a camper be a better option? Any other suggestions would be great. 

Need to ask assessors office of impact on taxes by seasonal cabin vs temporary trailer.   Typically trailer has no impact if not permanent.  

• Like 1

Its dutches county, so im assuming that anything livable will skyrocket the costs.

Our current place was originally a barn that we transformed over the years. Wish i could find similar down in the area we are looking, but land prices are crazy, and add any structure and you need to be a billionaire. I am thinking set up a camper at the start, and add a 10'x12' shed, with a loft at the start. Than start the process of building a cabin the right way a few years down the line. 

My advice is to do everything by the book, of course - follow all zoning regulations, contact the tax assessor, etc. Some folks may just put a trailer, shed or other improvement on their land out of sight and out of mind and get away with it, but you may not be so lucky.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Depending on what your need for electric is, I would suggest that you talk with the power company.

before I built my place, I had a travel trailer on site and the power company would not "set a meter" until there was something permanent on the property (or under construction).   they obviously don't want to incur the expense knowing the trailer could be pulled out of there tomorrow and their revenue stream is gone.

Find out if a camp up on blocks is considered permanent. Depending on the size, you can put up / purchase a very comfortable sized shed/ camp for a great price if you shop around.  Look at Dura Sheds (pretty sure that was the name). That is what we were going to go with initially for about a 24/24 shed/ camp shell, but ended up buying with a 24/36 foot cabin on blocks in place. 

Different rules in different places been generally if it's on wheels,  it's not a permanent structure and you're only taxed on land.  Soon as you build structure it's another story.  And if you tell them you plan to sleep in it, that's another deal.  They may require up to building code, septic and water.  I see a lot of hunting camps by me that are nothing more than a trailer.  Some with even a power pole to hook up to.  Then there's also solar to consider.  It's not that tough to put in if you keep requirements sensible. 

My original cabin was a weekender deep in the woods with 25 acres.  No water or septic.  I was taxed on it more than my city house. 

Like most others have mentioned, it's mainly up to the local zoning and assessments as to what constitutes improvements.Once you have water, elec or sewer services - expect noticeable tax increases. Depending on where you live, a shed has a specific max size before it is considered an improvement as an out-building. Some localities may even view upgrades to access roads as taxable improvements...!?!

Laugh at them, but the ole boys that put buses or travel trailers on hunting properties were getting around these taxation issues. An old camper with propane appliances, a generator and some means to have water &/or waste disposal available can make a great temp camp. 

If you're in the "go whole hog" philosophy, you may even get some tax breaks if the hunting camp meets certain qualifications as a rec or 2nd home. People with boats used to do it all the time! At least this used to be the case, so check into it!

And by the way, don't think you can hide anything from them.  My camp is go to the middle of nowhere then drive a couple more miles deep into the woods.  I figure I was so far off the trail no one would find me.  I had Amish build me a shed that was 10' x 14'  Before it was done the local assessor was out to look at it.  Amish didn't pull any  permits but that wasn't a problem.  I ask how they found me.  Google Earth.  So I start watching Google Earth and notice things like a bridge I put in recently are now on Google Earth.  The eye in the sky is photographing me regular and the assessors know about it.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:28 PM, bfahy13 said:

Camper or a shed on skids..( the amish make some large ones you could put a wood stove in and make bunks,ect.. ) as long as it doenst have footer or piers or stacked down cant tax you on it.

Yes, check with local assessor's office before buying/installing anything. Be warned, you may be raising a red flag by simply asking questions. They may keep an eye on what you're doing & how.

When I bought my property, I had a gravel driveway installed and at the end the contractor put in a gravel "bed" so I could drop a shed on there. Purchased a 12x24' shed with reinforced floor joists (size & C-C) with upgraded 3/4" flooring. After ~11 years shed never bowed, twisted or settled. Shed was bare-bones inside since I never intended to spend overnights there. Granted this could be a DIY project, but at the time I wanted it "now" and not after 6-8 long weekends of labor and arranging helping hands. When I sold that property, new owner insulated interior of shed, put up cheapo paneling, installed gutters & a catch barrel for a water supply, added propane grill/stovetop and refrig and even put in 2x sets of bunk beds. Owner even built an outhouse that had a chemical toilet inside. Not the Marriott, but a decent, rustic camp s/u! Pretty sure they got away with all the above w/o any added tax burden. That is until they decided to run an electric service to the shed. Assessment & taxes went up!!

Neat thing about going this way is if you ever decide to build a home on the site, the shed can be taken back to original configuration strictly for storage purposes or as a ~1.5 car garage. 

Good luck & keep us informed as to what route you take!!