Ok new to Xbow and a bunch of ?s

luberhill

So,,,I need a muzzleloader tag to xbow Hunt?

and I need to sign that cert and carry it with me ? Is that as easy as it seems ?

and it looks like souther Zone I can use it the last 14 days of reg bow?

can I kill buck or die ?

what tags do I use ?

then can I use it after Gun is over and muzzle loader open again?

what is a good brand to get ?

ive never bow hunted before but would like to be able to get into the woods before Gun opens

thx for the help

Yes, as of now

Yes, Yes & No!

Correct

Yes

Antlerless & either sex, DMPs

Yes

A good brand, depends on your budget! Just be warned the ones in the sub ~$4-500 range have crappy scopes. Meaning you'll probably end-up buying a $100+ upgraded scope putting your total purchase $ into a different price point. There's no correlation to price vs effectiveness between the $400 Xbow and the $1500 models.

Topics where no questions were asked:

The way the NYS DEC Xbow hunting regs are stated as of now, there are some min/max requirements regarding Xbows width, draw #, etc. See - https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

If I were new to bow/Xbow hunting, I'd sign-up for the bow hunters safety course. Any type of bow hunting is very different than long gun hunting and requires a different hunting skill set.

Do NOT believe or fall for all the hype & crap on the web about shooting deer at 100yrds with a Xbow!!!

Any hunter getting into bow &/or Xbow hunting for the 1st time is in for a whole new vocabulary and equipment/accessory choices. Oh yeah, a Xbow is a PITA to carry around and shoot free-handed.

You could definitely reduce the learning curve if you got a friend or mentor that had bow/Xbow hunted for a while to tag along with. Do NOT trust the advice given by sales clerks in the big-box outdoor/sporting goods stores!!

• Like 5

NYslowhand gave a lot of good advice. The only thing I can add is, I bought an elcheapo (Barnett Gamecrusher) when crossbows became legal in NY.  And like he said, I had to ditch the terrible scope before I even hunted with it, it was so bad making my elcheapo less cheapo.

Now I have a nice piece of Nikon Glass on an elcheapo crossbow and I really wish I just purchased a much better crossbow. The stupid 17" width rule makes the choices much harder since most of the new bows are much more narrow. 

So now I am reading everything I can about crossbows because I would like to purchase a new one before next hunting season. So I guess if I was you I would do the same thing. Start reading, there are so many different options out there, I have no idea what to do. The Scorpyd is probably the nicest, fastest and by far the most expensive crossbow out there. Basically I am weighing my options against that $1600 dollar model (for a bare bow) and trying to decide if spending that money is worth it. 

9 hours ago, luberhill said:

So,,,I need a muzzleloader tag to xbow Hunt?

and I need to sign that cert and carry it with me ? Is that as easy as it seems ?

and it looks like souther Zone I can use it the last 14 days of reg bow?

can I kill buck or die ?

what tags do I use ?

then can I use it after Gun is over and muzzle loader open again?

what is a good brand to get ?

ive never bow hunted before but would like to be able to get into the woods before Gun opens

thx for the help

when you buy your Muzzleloader privilege you get an either sex tag. That is only good the last 14 days of bow and the late season (in areas that allow it, look at the map) Then the either sex tag is good for the late season.  You can use your DMP's in either season with the xbow. 

Now to confuse it a bit. if you do not take an antlered deer with your regular season tag you can fill it in the late season and treat it as an either sex tag. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Yes, as of now

Yes, Yes & No!

Correct

Yes

Antlerless & either sex, DMPs

Yes

A good brand, depends on your budget! Just be warned the ones in the sub ~$4-500 range have crappy scopes. Meaning you'll probably end-up buying a $100+ upgraded scope putting your total purchase $ into a different price point. There's no correlation to price vs effectiveness between the $400 Xbow and the $1500 models.

Topics where no questions were asked:

The way the NYS DEC Xbow hunting regs are stated as of now, there are some min/max requirements regarding Xbows width, draw #, etc. See - https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

If I were new to bow/Xbow hunting, I'd sign-up for the bow hunters safety course. Any type of bow hunting is very different than long gun hunting and requires a different hunting skill set.

Do NOT believe or fall for all the hype & crap on the web about shooting deer at 100yrds with a Xbow!!!

Any hunter getting into bow &/or Xbow hunting for the 1st time is in for a whole new vocabulary and equipment/accessory choices. Oh yeah, a Xbow is a PITA to carry around and shoot free-handed.

You could definitely reduce the learning curve if you got a friend or mentor that had bow/Xbow hunted for a while to tag along with. Do NOT trust the advice given by sales clerks in the big-box outdoor/sporting goods stores!!

So you answered NO to the last 14 day question ??

Early November is prime time. If you're on a budget a lot of members here shoot the centerpoint sniper by crosman. I have one and it's pretty solid but people will complain about some rattling noises and the trigger. Other ones worth mentioning are wicked ridge/tenpoint, Excaliber, and barnett. These 4 are the only ones I've shot before...

Take care of the rail and strings and cables. I feel like i can take a deer out to about 45 yds confidently which is pretty cool. 

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

I have a 200.00 BassPro Cabelas gift card I would like to put toward the new xbow...

what brand would be a decent ny compliant with a decent scope ?

Wicked Ridge has some interesting new bows coming out for 2020. As far as I know, nobody else has released their 2020 bows yet. As far as being NY compliant....you will have to go look or email and ask questions (which is what I have been doing). Crossbow Nation is a good forum with a lot of info and the people there seem willing to answer any questions and Archery talk has a crossbow section that has some good info as well. Problem is nobody lists the width of their crossbow, they all list axle to axle and some only list it when cocked because they want only the most narrow spec published. 

5 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

when you buy your Muzzleloader privilege you get an either sex tag. That is only good the last 14 days of bow and the late season (in areas that allow it, look at the map) Then the either sex tag is good for the late season.  You can use your DMP's in either season with the xbow. 

Now to confuse it a bit. if you do not take an antlered deer with your regular season tag you can fill it in the late season and treat it as an either sex tag. 

Good advice but you need to buy your hunting licence before you can buy the muzzleloader privilege.  Even if you do not want to hunt with gun...  more $ but this is the way in ny

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I already have my licenses just never now hunted...

now my boss has a Centerpoint Tournmetor Wisper 380 that he said I can have for free...

are these decent ? 

A lot of people love the sniper 370...I have never shot one.....I can guarantee two things.....It will kill deer and you can't beat free....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

I already have my licenses just never now hunted...

now my boss has a Centerpoint Tournmetor Wisper 380 that he said I can have for free...

are these decent ? 

Very nice xbow,  shoot and carry well, a little on heavier side but you can use a stick if it's an issue.  

Very good bow for the price shoots as well as most 7 to 900 dollar xbow. I use a Mathews mbx 400 and actually like feel of whisper 380 better. Cant go wrong with it and company has excellent customer service. 

Edited by G-Man

8 hours ago, luberhill said:

I have a 200.00 BassPro Cabelas gift card I would like to put toward the new xbow...

what brand would be a decent ny compliant with a decent scope ?

Excalibur crossbows are the best! Lightest and most durable. You will bling be disappointed.

Whichever crossbow you choose, I would hunt deer only with a mechanical broad head.    Culver recently posted a non-biased study that showed a significant advantage, in carcass recovery percentage, with a crossbow and mechanical broad head, compared to a crossbow with a fixed broad head or any type of broad head with a vertical bow.  

My own personal recovery percentage with a crossbow on deer has been 100 % (5 for 5) so I certainly can not dispute the results of that study.     I have never tried a fixed broad head for deer in my crossbow (Barnett Recruit), and it is not likely that I ever will.   

Good luck with your crossbow.  I have heard good things about the Centerpoints and I will probably buy one myself if and when full inclusion occurs, I fail to recover a deer with my Barnett, or if it breaks.   Hopefully, I can get another season or two out of it anyhow.    

Hell yeah.. if you're just getting into bow/Xbow hunting take the free one offered. It will at least give you an idea of Xbow hunting w/o a big investment. If you like that style of hunting, can then upgrade down the road. If you dislike archery/Xbow hunting, little $$ lost. Win - Win!!

22 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

when you buy your Muzzleloader privilege you get an either sex tag. That is only good the last 14 days of bow and the late season (in areas that allow it, look at the map) Then the either sex tag is good for the late season. 

I believe the bow/muzzle either sex tag is good for the entire bow season.   If using a Xbow, only good for the last 14 days of early Archery and the late bow/muzzle. 

I have a Centerpoint 370 and like it a lot for a starter xbow. It was a Cabelas purchase to get into a crossbow for a 'best value.' It has done a nice job of killing three bucks in three years at ranges of 25,10,20 yards all from the ground. Cabelas in Buffalo has an indoor range so you can check out the scope, noise, ease of drawing, and shooting accuracy. It sounds like you have a free offer so if I were you I would take it and get started and get out shooting and hunting. Good Luck with whatever you decide. 

On 1/4/2020 at 7:17 AM, mowin said:

I believe the bow/muzzle either sex tag is good for the entire bow season.   If using a Xbow, only good for the last 14 days of early Archery and the late bow/muzzle. 

If you bought only the muzzleloader privilege  and not the archery privilege it is only good during the last 14 and the late season. (or the early ML in the NZ)

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club