Air fryers

So I actually just watched the video about the air fryers. Very informative. I think I am changing my mind back to the convection oven. I can get it cheaper. It has larger capacity. Can do a lot more with it, including dehydrate. Easier to clean. It turns out better food. 

I think someone just got the idea of a new catch phase and made a smaller product with a bigger price tag. Clever marketing is all it is really. Would you rather fry with oil or air? Well obvsly not oil in this health conscious day and age. 

I still like my fries fried. Just don't tell my cardiologist. 

7 hours ago, Chef said:

Fresh wings tossed in baking powder not frozen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to look that up. Apparently it's a way to get crispy baked (or air fried) wings. Interesting, I will have to try that. (I wonder how they would be coated with bisquick.)

oops: reading the thread backwards. I see this was originally posted by @turkeyfeathers

Edited by goosifer
oops

Air fryer night test run.  Made wings with baking powder for first run.  Book said 360 for 25 min. I did an extra minute.  Good but I don't care for the taste from the baking powder even though it was a small amount.  Next time will use a real light dusting with chicken breader.  Def less mess than frying but I like double fried wings better. But of course this was better for you and still good. And I cancelled out the better for you with blue cheese. Lol

IMG_20200221_172849777.jpg

• Like 2

Second round.  Did wings without baking powder and just dusted with bionic cow rub.   Bumped up temp to 390 and 2 extra minutes.  I liked them better. But I think that dusting them with chicken breader will be it at the higher temp.  So next time around.  Not Tonite though.

Couple beers, wings and watching the new Midway movie.  GF is out in Geneseo with her daughter at college. 

IMG_20200221_182408359.jpg

• Like 3

So night 2 with trying air fryer. Made walleye topped with imitation crab mix and also cooked a few breaded fillets.  Mixed reviews on the air fryer. Knowing that it fries with air obviously figured a sauce would be needed cause its gonna dry out the fish. 

Also then tried a few fried fillets.  Def prefer them in the deep fryer.  

So yes of course the air fryer is better for you but can't see where it cooks better.  Def simpler to use for some things but don't see so far where it cooks better than other methods. 

The stuffed walleye would have not been so dry cooked in a foil wrap for sure. Although they were still very good but without a sauce def wouldn't have.  

So yes @crappyice   I will remain on the dark side !  Lol. My arteries may not like it but cook wise and flavor wise just cooking with hot air is just drying food out to me. Although I will def cook wings in it again as those were easy to do and still good. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
I got the air fryer lid for my InstantPot, will be cooking up some walleye later. Standby for review!!!
It's fantastic! Perfect for people that don't have room to leave the instant vortex air fryer out all the time. Bell and Evans chicken tenders turn out fantastic with the air fryer lid!

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

It's fantastic! Perfect for people that don't have room to leave the instant vortex air fryer out all the time. Bell and Evans chicken tenders turn out fantastic with the air fryer lid!

So I see bell and Evan's sponsors you as well as biz

So I see bell and Evan's sponsors you as well as biz
Only when it's on sale. The missed Jerky opportunity relegated me to buying it only when it's on a super sale. Can't afford the regular price.

1 minute ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

Only when it's on sale. The missed Jerky opportunity relegated me to buying it only when it's on a super sale. Can't afford the regular price.

Damn ,tough break .

• Like 1