The Quest for 1,000 Inches (2019)

BizCT

What started out as a joke in a group text with @Jeremy K @The_Real_TCIII @Lawdwaz @TreeGuy @sodfather @turkeyfeathers nearly became a reality in 2019. Sometime in early October, I mentioned how it would be crazy if we killed 1,000 inches worth of bucks combined this season. In fact, I even started an excel spreadsheet. Of course, it turned out to be a jinx as the first 18 days of October resulted in 0 bucks combined.

Finally, on October 19th TCIII broke the ice with a great buck and we were on the board.

After another 8 days of lull, Jeremy got it done next (FROM THE GROUND) on October 27th.

We headed into November still needing over 800 inches!

On the evening of November 1st, Andrew struck next with a great buck. Later that evening I sent the attached text to the group. The weather, the date, the 11/2 xbow opener, it all just felt like the stars were aligning for a great weekend of hunting. What ensued next, nobody could have predicted or maybe I was right!

On the morning of 11/2 at I shot my best NY buck at 750am. I felt like a hero on the group text for actually contributing. I had my glory for all of 40 minutes before I was informed that Sodfather had shot an ever better buck at 830am. At this point, we were all excited with 2 bucks in 1 day. But that wasn't the end of it. By the afternoon, TF (his first archery buck) and Larry had also shot bucks that afternoon. We were now at 5 bucks in 24 hours combined! We were now officially archery tagged out on 11/2. We had 630 inches via 7 bucks. 

2 weeks of anxiously waiting for the gun season to arrive, it seemed like we would for sure get the remaining 370". Unfortunately, only Larry (11/23) and Andrew (TG-11/28) would come through with giant bucks, but still not enough to get us over the 1,000" mark. We ended up with 885" combined and gun misses by Me, TCIII, and Jeremy surely cost us the prize. The final tally was 9 bucks (6 bow, 1 xbow, and 2 gun). 4 of the 9 bucks were killed from the ground!

While we didn't make it to 1,000, this quest provided for tons of laughs, excitement, and making fun of each other!

IMG_3091.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_3284.JPG

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3267.jpg

IMG_3277.JPG

IMG_3288.JPG

IMG_3306.PNG

IMG_3747.PNG

imageproxy.jpg

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 19

I saw a 4 point at friends and passed as he asked not to shoot another buck there as killed one there with the bow. Shot the big doe he was tending instead.   Sacrificing inches

Also had 130+ " at 17 yards behind a big bush with .44 in hand ready for him to show what he was. Wind swirled ,he jumped up and took off. The echo of FUG ME still probably echoing thru the woods. Foot, throat patch and nose was all I could define in the approx. 7 minutes he stood there.

I was the weak link in the 1,000 inch quest. Hope to not be traded before next hunting season and redeem myself

Agree with Lawdwaz, what a fun year of hunting and the group text. 11-2 was Epic !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Nice job outa you guys!  and a fun time i bet. Next year!  Looks like most everyone got a deer so thats a win for sure. 

I had Lawd on my HuntingNY fantasy league - dude always pays out! 

#2BuckLarry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was a complete failure during gun season not even seeing a buck . That quest taught me a lot of things and had a blast going for it. I will never forget this season. The full on track job for Tacks buck, Jeremy’s buck that walked right where he predicted. Andrew getting us fired up that night before the November weekend. TF’s first archery kill when a year ago he couldn’t even draw the bow back. That November 2nd morning when Biz and I shot our deer. And of course Larry in typical Larry fashion just another season filling the freezer. Can’t wait to give it a run next year....

• Like 7

Heck of a season boys and to almost get to 1,000 inches is something special! 

While not on your groups, group text I was on a very large one from the start of Bow season all the way through muzzle loader and it honestly made the year that much better. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I was a complete failure during gun season not even seeing a buck . That quest taught me a lot of things and had a blast going for it. I will never forget this season. The full on track job for Tacks buck, Jeremy’s buck that walked right where he predicted. Andrew getting us fired up that night before the November weekend. TF’s first archery kill when a year ago he couldn’t even draw the bow back. That November 2nd morning when Biz and I shot our deer. And of course Larry in typical Larry fashion just another season filling the freezer. Can’t wait to give it a run next year....

You forgot the first of hopefully many mason jar celebrations .

• Like 2

DEC hasn't confirmed yet, but I believe I am the only person in NYS to hunt the combination of 3S, 3N, 9J, and 9K in 2019.
I hunted all 4 this year so sorry you are not alone. I just prefer not to brag about my lack of success

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I hunted all 4 this year so sorry you are not alone. I just prefer not to brag about my lack of success

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Next time you hunt region 9, let me ride in your private jet with you. I hate the drive

• Like 1