WNY Predator Slam

2 hours ago, E J said:

Love to see a review on this scope after you get it figured out.

Just uploaded the new firmware. Also picked up my Christmas presant from my wife. A savage in 204 ruger. It will be the home for the nv. Just need to get a IR bulb for my wicked lights gun light to use with this scope. I will shoot the rifle Wednesday if the weather is good.

• Like 3

Hey now, don’t drag me into this 

I wish I could find the thread from years ago where you said you would never hunt coyotes, only deer. I told you to give it a try and you might like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I wish I could find the thread from years ago where you said you would never hunt coyotes, only deer. I told you to give it a try and you might like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall and I acknowledge I was clearly wrong.  Bow hunting the rut still is king, but night hunting dogs is a close second.  Already bummed that they are calling for rain all weekend.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 8:53 PM, Gencountyzeek said:

We got skunked, buddy pull the trigger on a fox behind my house at 50 yards...unfortunately he never chambered a round... bumped 2 yotes out of a field walking in, couldnt convince them to come back. Night got cut short by my buddies getting sick. But the weigh in is always worth the drive. Won a new scope for my new 204 ruger! Now i get to join the night vision crowd!

20200105_160422.jpg

First rule of ATN NV, take the illuminator it comes with and throw it away and get yourself a good IR light. I went with a Wicked Lights IR/red model and its awesome.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I recall and I acknowledge I was clearly wrong.  Bow hunting the rut still is king, but night hunting dogs is a close second.  Already bummed that they are calling for rain all weekend.

can't recall if you turkey hunt, but interesting that you put it that high up the hunting ladder. Do you think it's the bad ass thermal, or would you still enjoy it old school lights or even the early morning like the dead downwind guys?

27 minutes ago, Belo said:

can't recall if you turkey hunt, but interesting that you put it that high up the hunting ladder. Do you think it's the bad ass thermal, or would you still enjoy it old school lights or even the early morning like the dead downwind guys?

Im with moog on this. Actually, rut hunting and predator hunting are a dead even tie for me. If I had more success predator hunting, it may even be better than rut hunting to me. I dont have Thermal, and even if I didnt run NV, Id say the same thing. Its a blast.

31 minutes ago, Belo said:

Not much of a turkey hunter - tried a few times but not successfully and haven't had the experience of calling one in that everyone seems to enjoy.  Don't have many turkey where I hunt so its tough to get excited.  But I will say that I have just as much anticipation waiting for a dog hunt as I do for a deer hunt in gun season if not more.

I hunted for a while with lights only and yes it was just as fun.  Tougher to see the dog for purposes of shooting one, but those lit up eyes are exciting.  Haven't done any daytime hunting for dogs, but may give it a try.  I like the nighttime stuff for sure.  Not going to lie, the thermal does increase the fun in being able to see so much in the dark.  By way of example, treeguy couldn't see the distant fox that I shot at last weekend simply because he wasn't looking our way.  But lights work and remain a fun way to hunt.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Im with moog on this. Actually, rut hunting and predator hunting are a dead even tie for me. If I had more success predator hunting, it may even be better than rut hunting to me. I dont have Thermal, and even if I didnt run NV, Id say the same thing. Its a blast.

I've flipped back and forth over the years. I actually was first on the NY Predator Forum. Not sure it still exists, but I remember "Machinist" telling me about this forum. Something about predators gets my blood pumping. I remember as a kid deer hunting, always wishing i saw a fox or yote instead of a deer lol. I never got into the AR's, but used to hunt with an e-caller and mouth caller, using a shotgun and/or .243 rifle. If i was with my dad, one of us had the shotgun and one of had the rifle. Most times we called at first light, but we did the 10pm - 2am night style several times on stateland. When we did that, we didn't have anything fancy other than snow, moon, and a big spotlight. 

With a baby due in 2 weeks, i doubt i'll get out this winter for predators.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Not much of a turkey hunter - tried a few times but not successfully and haven't had the experience of calling one in that everyone seems to enjoy.  Don't have many turkey where I hunt so its tough to get excited.  But I will say that I have just as much anticipation waiting for a dog hunt as I do for a deer hunt in gun season if not more.

I hunted for a while with lights only and yes it was just as fun.  Tougher to see the dog for purposes of shooting one, but those lit up eyes are exciting.  Haven't done any daytime hunting for dogs, but may give it a try.  I like the nighttime stuff for sure.  Not going to lie, the thermal does increase the fun in being able to see so much in the dark.  By way of example, treeguy couldn't see the distant fox that I shot at last weekend simply because he wasn't looking our way.  But lights work and remain a fun way to hunt.

good insight thanks. I was thinking that a bad ass "toy" like thermal would add to it, but good to hear that it's not the whole deal. You may convince me yet to give this a try :)

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

good insight thanks. I was thinking that a bad ass "toy" like thermal would add to it, but good to hear that it's not the whole deal. You may convince me yet to give this a try :)

You will be hooked the first time you see eyes coming in to the call!  Welcome to join me for a hunt if you like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I have wicked red lights im trying to find a ir led for...everyone is out stock.